A Strange New Ping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Strange New Ping

Ok, that sounded kinda cheezy. Anyway, while I'm sure most of you are used to standard pings of 40-60 ms, I've been quite enjoying my ping of 17-19 ms on TGNS. It makes the games run really smoothly.

So earlier this week (I think, not entirely sure), I started pinging 55-60, out of the blue. I haven't seen my ping drop below 50 once since then. I'm at a little bit of a loss, since I don't have a clue what would cause this, and while it may not seem like much to most people, its triple what I've gotten used to.

I took a Tracert in case that helps...

Code:
    Tracing route to tgns.tacticalgamer.com [67.19.90.170]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
      2     8 ms     7 ms     8 ms  adsl-71-143-181-254.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net [71.143.181.254]
      3     7 ms     8 ms     8 ms  dist2-vlan60.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net [151.164.64.147]
      4     8 ms     8 ms     7 ms  bb2-g6-3-0.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net [151.164.64.247]
      5    15 ms    15 ms    15 ms  bb1-p10-1.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net [151.164.42.223]
      6    15 ms    15 ms    15 ms  bb2-p4-1.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net [151.164.191.122]
      7    16 ms    16 ms    15 ms  ex1-p12-0.eqdltx.sbcglobal.net [151.164.40.29]
      8    16 ms    15 ms    16 ms  asn2828-xo.eqabva.sbcglobal.net [151.164.248.202]
      9    17 ms    17 ms    17 ms  ae-24-54.car4.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.68.122.112]
     10    55 ms    54 ms    55 ms  THE-PLANET.car4.Level3.net [4.78.221.146]
     11    55 ms    55 ms    55 ms  vl32.dsr02.dllstx3.theplanet.com [70.85.127.62]
     12    55 ms    55 ms    55 ms  vl42.dsr02.dllstx4.theplanet.com [70.85.127.91]
     13    56 ms    55 ms    55 ms  gi1-0-1.car07.dllstx4.theplanet.com [67.19.255.2
    6] 14    55 ms    55 ms    56 ms  aa.5a.1343.static.theplanet.com [67.19.90.170]

Trace complete.
    I vaguely remember a thread awhile back where we compiled a lot of Tracerts,
    and wasnt "THE-PLANET" a big suspect in ping spikes then too?

Re: A Strange New Ping

I used to ping in the 20s to TGNS. That was... jeez... probably two years ago. I've been pinging 70-90 for almost as long as I can remember.

FWIW, Yack called me tonight to say he couldn't hit TG at all tonight, and some other sites, despite most of his "intarnet" responding just fine. No forums. No website. No NS server. No nothing. I could hit everything fine.

We hung up after playing 'net detectives for a bit, resigned to accepting the magical resolution whenever it came. Maybe your high ping is related to whatever illness caused him to lose us tonight entirely.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Yeah, but wasn't that about the time TGNS changed server locations? If I remember correctly, I had more like 60-70 when I started playing here, but shortly after, the whole server migrated to a new host which just happened to be closer to where I live. Ever since then its been sub-25 for me, and probably thats the same time you lost your sub-25.

Comment

neg

My ping dropped by about 10ms when we moved from Rhode Island to Texas. Nothing major. And I enjoyed the low ping for quite some time after we were in Dallas.

Then, one evening, the ping was higher. You know how it is. I shrugged it off and thought nothing of it. But, this time, it just never dropped back down. It's been that high ever since.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I bet the problem is that your intertubes are too jammed up. Stop playing online poker so much.
          Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

Huh.

Ok then, thats a little disappointing. Though to tell the truth, I don't know what I was expecting to hear...

About the best I can hope for is that this was caused by a downed telephone cable, or something like that, rerouting me through a more loaded hub--which would be fixed when they got the cable back up. But I don't know how likely that scenario is. Anyways, it doesn't seem there's much I can do about it personally, so I guess I'll just have to wait it out.

Comment

I was a pretty awesome fade. Then my ping went up.

That's why I suck at fade these days.

Yeah. My ping.

Comment

Gremlins.
                USAR

Comment

So, on a hunch, I re-booted my modem. You know how most external modems don't turn off when you turn off your computer? I figure mine's been on for at least 3-4 months solid. So I re-booted it, and after it comes back up...I'm back to pinging 19 again! Yay!

Take that, Gremlins! :p

Comment

hehe, clearing the cache. So the next task is for you to figure out what I have to reboot to improve my aim. get to it! :)

Comment

Been getting 100+ ping lately and 20+ loss on average which makes ns near unplayable. Strange, I hope it returns to normal soon.

Now in addition to that, my 9800pro started artifcating big time the other day so I'm on a Riva TNT2 pro 32MB card which pretty much cut my average framrate by 3\4s of what it was :(.
                      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

dont feel too bad aero, im stuck with my wonderful intel 815e chipset that camer with the computer because dell is too retarded to realize that a PCI-e 1x slot is USELESS and theres no replacement mobo that i can get that fits the tower. So unless someone has a solution that would allow me to get a decent pci card (last i checked there are none) that'll allow me to play NS and BF2 (cant play the latter at all right now cause of my video crap) or knows of some way to convert a pci express 1x slot to a 16x slot, im stuck with my constant choke and loss (and 25-30 fps to boot)

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
                          Been getting 100+ ping lately and 20+ loss on average which makes ns near unplayable. Strange, I hope it returns to normal soon.

Now in addition to that, my 9800pro started artifcating big time the other day so I'm on a Riva TNT2 pro 32MB card which pretty much cut my average framrate by 3\4s of what it was :(.

I can send you a 9500/9700 range card to hold you ever until you get a good one again if you need it.
                          aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                            dont feel too bad aero, im stuck with my wonderful intel 815e chipset that camer with the computer because dell is too retarded to realize that a PCI-e 1x slot is USELESS and theres no replacement mobo that i can get that fits the tower. So unless someone has a solution that would allow me to get a decent pci card (last i checked there are none) that'll allow me to play NS and BF2 (cant play the latter at all right now cause of my video crap) or knows of some way to convert a pci express 1x slot to a 16x slot, im stuck with my constant choke and loss (and 25-30 fps to boot)
                            I'd be looking for a case to swap into, and if I couldn't, then the new mobo would be laying on top of the existing case. ;)

Other than that, about your only option would probably be found at newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161017

[Edit] that card won't get you to blazing speeds btw. I'm thinking it'll be in the 9500/ FX5900 range. That's about where I've played NS with until recently, and at decent framerates , but I'm doubtful what you'd do with BF2. [/Edit]
                            aka Roland tHTG

Comment

problem is that BF2 only supports certain cards. theres 128mb cards that it supports, but 256 mb cards that it doesnt. it came to light last year that its because of some deal they made with nvidia and ati to promote *certain* cards, but not support all of them that can actually play the game. i'm looking at just selling the comp on ebay around xmas and buying a new one because its really bugging me. no more dell, tigerdirect this time. I can build a quad processor system with a pcie x16 card for less than 3 grand, and by xmas, i should have that much to spend.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X