Frustrating question marks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrating question marks

Question mark players drive me crazy sometimes.
    As alien:
    *Hive is under attack*
    ?: hmm, Iíll go run around nowhere near the hive.

As marine:
    Com: *shoot the node*
    ?: Iím going to just look at this node for a while, it looks nice.
    Com: *go to double*
    ?: ďNo, lets go to cargo insteadĒ (today)

Perhaps Iím just whining, but come on. No wonder other servers just do turret farms and play bots/CO all day. Iím far from pro, but at least Iím a team playerÖ ah well
    I am a n00b. If I beat you, it must be a mistake.

Re: Frustrating question marks

That's why I don't comm, it seems that if all the regs are on there's a competent commander anywho. And if they aren't and No one else will I don't just jump in anymore because it always seem to take literally 3 minutes to get one siege built at times. I got tired of it. But fear not, for when I am on I will nobly throw myself at whatever waypoint I am given!

Comment

You guys keep in mind that registered players with 5,000 points can join the full server whenever there's a number after the 'FF' in the hostname, which is almost anytime it fills during the day (when unregistered players are more common).
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'm a question mark and this thread deeply offends me!

Comment

add to the list ? that only play marines

Comment

As much as they may frustrate you and many others I would just like to tell you guys to take it easy and chill out a bit. As a previous regular on this server and having talked with some friends of mine I have noticed some people being rather anal and quite vocal about doing things their way and only their way. It doesn't bug me so much when i'm told what to do (since most people don't recognize me anymore, and I am experienced) but I know it bugs many new comers, especially ns noobs.

Sometimes you just have to remember it's a game and some people may not respond well to direct orders. I know sometimes in the heat of the moment you may be annoyed by someones actions, but most of the time they are oblivious to something that may be happening or believe it or not, are doing something they may feel is equally important.

I just thought i would share that after having rescently come back for a couple sessions. Give you my pov as a previous regular having a look at the server for a 2nd time. I still love this place and wouldn't play ns elsewhere.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Telling NS players that they need to relax goes without saying. That's spot on. Telling TGNS regulars to remember to be nice is helpful, and often warranted.

Beyond that, people who "don't respond well to direct orders" can make it work or play somewhere else.

If a player has the communication abilities a normal adult has, he'll do just fine, even when folks get rude, as that's when you TELL the person he's rude (and work it out), or you contact an admin. If a player can't (or doesn't, for whatever reason) follow orders, and he fails to pursue even one of the many remedies we have for player complaints, he's lacking one or more skills that I expect from a regular, or he has them and doesn't care enough about the server to use them.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I understand and agree with everything you said. However, many times somebody will say things in a tone which many would take offense to. Usually it will happen in the heat of the moment during an intense game or critical situation and does not warrant admin action. It does however put people off.

Although I understand the importance of comunication, I have had a couple people tell me they found it hard to try and learn the game and communicate at the same time (not knowing what they were doing). We know NS has a fairly steep learning curve, it's not a game you master in a night of pubbing. I guess my post came from a night of frustration my friends had when I tried to introduce them to ns on tg.

Maybe tgns has a steep learning curve also in comparison to other pubs that we have all gotten used to :D.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Being offended really isn't near as important as people give it credit for. There's no situation where a person can legitimately ignore an order from, say, the commander. If they're alien and they're getting advice from 5 different people to drop a hive, and they don't, well.... there's an old proverb about that:

If one man calls you an ass, ignore him. If 10 men call you an ass, go buy a saddle.
                  I realize that doesn't apply in all instances, but it's often a good rule of thumb.

Comment

I find there's a vast difference in the way we treat people we know are new vs. people we assume have been around a while. A ? we don't know, until he says otherwise, is assumed to know ns but not our server, and is thus expected to follow orders, use his res wisely, etc. If he's not, and he stays fairly quiet, he will generally get a series of increasingly urgent orders ("You have 90 res! Go onos and save the hive!"), and if he can't either do what he's being asked to do or communicate effectively, he probably gets removed. On the other hand, a player who communicates and identifies himself as new gets a very different reception. Rather than short, concise orders, he gets long explanations of various things, including how to use his res, typically in a very patient manner, and nobody gets upset with him because we know he's still learning. It comes down to communication. A new player who uses his mic will find a much more welcoming environment than an experienced player who won't talk except to say 'yes' when we ask if he can hear us. That said, perhaps we could find a way to better identify new players, and hopefully get them to put -new- in their name (which generally gets them alot more tolerance and attention). Do any of the pop-up messages that ?'s get suggest this? Should we have one that does?

Comment

As Ag said, clearly identifying oneself as a new (or rusty or whatever) player will help tremendously. If someone identifies themself or it becomes otherwise evident that they are new, I always do my best to help them out as much as possible and I've seen many others do the same.

The kinds of expectations we have for people who know the game are not the same as those for players who are still trying to figure out which way is up.
                      Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

We do not have an obligation to give each and every player a hundred chances to get it right and get their act together. You need to stop being so soft on people who are clearly being disruptive to the game. When you see this kind of behavior, don't waste time getting pissed at them; immediately confront them about it(nicely) and establish whether or not they're capable of communicating and following orders. If they aren't, kick them. That's why gb is there. It's the responsibility of the server regulars to be proactive about this problem and remove the bad apples before they ruin a game.

Comment

Proactive. Nicely. Before they ruin.

Correct, correct, and correct. Thank you. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X