This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• combat sucks?

okay, i feel that i'm the only person here who likes combat, can anybody here tell me a legit reason why combat should reduce its existence in TG server? (someone of you even asked to remove it all)

Re: combat sucks?

I enjoy combat when it's full of regs. There's actually a small amount of teamwork, and the team sticks together for the best harvesting of XP. My only real beef with Combat is a small game of combat. Just like in Regular NS, in a small (3-vs3-) game, it'a heavily in the aliens favor.

The aliens can usually get a good rush at the beginning and wipe out the marines, then have one guy chomp on the chair and the others camp. Then there's always the alien who goes onos when it's like 2vs2. Although, this would be the marines fault for giving him so much XP.

I despise the one time spawns, especially early game when focus comes into play. Newly joined marines don't stand a chance.

That said, I would enjoy more combat.

Comment

I actually perfer combat over ns cause if everything doesnt go right in the first 5 min of NS your in for a 20min depression spill.

I have been playing on a 22player co only server, its been quite fun.

Its more fun being able to talk to people instead of constantly yapping out orders, much more layed back in my opinion.

Comment

I like CO alot..

Comment

I like CO, I just prefer NS, mainly because the best game of CO is still only about as good as a middling game of NS.
          [volun2]
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Emanon
            I actually perfer combat over ns cause if everything doesnt go right in the first 5 min of NS your in for a 20min depression spill.

I have been playing on a 22player co only server, its been quite fun.

Its more fun being able to talk to people instead of constantly yapping out orders, much more layed back in my opinion.
            no, you prefer combat you can own most of us ;)

Comment

i like combat to hone my specific alien skills. But unfortunately you cannot gorge whore on CO.

Comment

Originally posted by RoseMarysBaby
                i like combat to hone my specific alien skills. But unfortunately you cannot gorge whore on CO.
                yes you can. The most influential part of CO is the gorge, they are equal to the commander in NS, in my book.

Comment

Combat is dumb, kthx.

Yeah, there's tactics to it, like, "OMG THE COMM CHAIR IS LOW, RUSH!". I hate combat for the following reasons.

Fades are waaaayyy too powerful. Regen + Meta + Cara = omg.
                  Way too many pubs spam grenades.
                  If there's no gorge, I can win by rushing a JP. Any game I can win by myself is no fun playing. And even if there's a gorge, I just have to get a welder/grenade launcher.
                  If I'm on aliens, I can go fade, and win, or I can go gorge and "not lose".

So I always go marine, since aliens are pretty lame. I get resupply and cat packs. with jp + shotty or level 3 hmg with nothing else special. I got level 3 lmg with heavy armor and cats/resupply a few times, that was sorta fun, for about 10 minutes. Running around in a gigantic frag-fest in a game i considered a great tactical acheivement in FPS's is pretty lame. Yeah, there's probably more strategy in it then I see, But right now, I treat combat like i treat DoD. Run, Shoot, Die, Respawn, Shoot, Die. Except in DoD, it's fun to kill people while using JUST the pistol and knife/shovel. Banana thinks It's pretty fun to hit people with the gun too.

Comment

Pretty confident, the fact about jp/shottie is known on small servers, but no one person on a 20 pluss server can win a game.

I have noticed that in the larger games the Pubs Unite every so and so and make a great offensive push. More than likely it ends the game.

I dont mind getting rid of combat cause I have noticed it too sucks with less than 10 people like NS. A 5 on 5 match usually ends up being a constant 1 on 1 battles. On larger servers its fun cause you see 5 or more marines collide with 5 or more aliens at any one time and becomes one hell of a fight.

The shoot and die part can be said for almost any game the difference between CO and NS is that the commander tells you where to shoot and die.

Only reason I no longer like NS_maps as much is because of the fact they sped up the game. I liked it when it took 10-15 mins to take a hive and when it was useful to protect things.Now whole games are playind in 15 mins. Feels like all you do is build.......run......build.....shoot a skulks or two.....die....spawn....rebuild everything you just built. This is why some of the NS players have gone to Desert combat, because its usefull to grab and hold areas and it isnt a constant rush.

Everything is rush rush rush in a tactical game?!!? I would rather go play CO and not have to worry about my comm/teams' ability.
                    Last edited by Emanon; 04-02-2004, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I agree with ema on a lot of his points on NS. NS to me just isnt really all that fun any more. I am mostly playing now because of the people, not the game. Yes we have some really good games, but the majority of the NS games are all 1 sided, and its not very fun if you're on the losing side... map after map after map after map.

Anybody remember when NS was about hives? God those were the days, when the aliens got their 3rd hive it was over. And I remember the huge battles the marines would have with aliens over control of the 3rd hive. Now its all about res, and during big games (5 on 5 plus) the aliens have a huge disadvantage since res comes in so slow in the beginning. And then there's the fact that before the aliens get 1 res node the marines could have 4... which I think really needs to be worked on.

IMO when they changed the basics of NS (Aliens can go Onos any time, hives no longer matter, ect) they killed the game for me.

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
                        I agree with ema on a lot of his points on NS. NS to me just isnt really all that fun any more. I am mostly playing now because of the people, not the game. Yes we have some really good games, but the majority of the NS games are all 1 sided, and its not very fun if you're on the losing side... map after map after map after map.

Anybody remember when NS was about hives? God those were the days, when the aliens got their 3rd hive it was over. And I remember the huge battles the marines would have with aliens over control of the 3rd hive. Now its all about res, and during big games (5 on 5 plus) the aliens have a huge disadvantage since res comes in so slow in the beginning. And then there's the fact that before the aliens get 1 res node the marines could have 4... which I think really needs to be worked on.

IMO when they changed the basics of NS (Aliens can go Onos any time, hives no longer matter, ect) they killed the game for me.
                        Aliens should still dominate at 3 hives. Webs + Xeno and all that. Hives matter now because of the armor upgrades it offers. Try fading against level 3 weapons with one hive. You die pretty quick. A seccond hive makes a huge difference in your lifespan. One good onos can still ruin a commanders day. MAybe not as blatantly as rushing the rine's start and tearing apart every marine in his path, but he can still pose a huge problem. It is still a beta.

Comment

I'm just here to say that Combat sucks and Nothing has the best sig ever.

Comment

i don't understand at all what emanon means by rush rush rush. wasn't that what 1.04 was all about? rushing to jp's?

although you guys are only playing on pubs, and that includes the TG server. A well thought-out plan executed flawlessly by a competent team of 5 field marines feels totally different than a haphazard pub rush. it's just like how pub cs is just random deathmatch with some minor objectives like planting bombs or rescuing hosties, but in league play the teamwork is radically different. i personally find cs a repetitive, boring, stupid game based on pub play, but that's cuz i'm basing it on pub play from an unskilled player's perspective. NS is the same thing.

rebuild everything you just built? didn't this happen in 1.04 also? i don't see how 3.0 made structures any different.

how is it not useful to protect things? where are you getting this from? if you're not protecting things you're doing something wrong.

Pretty confident, the fact about jp/shottie is known on small servers, but no one person on a 20 pluss server can win a game.
                            pub combat for me is only a warmup to real ns play. and i never go aliens unless i plan to only get one upgrade.

and about yelling orders, it's the whole premise of the marine side =\ you have a commander. it's no different from regular ns in 1.04, and there wasn't even combat back then. if you want a more laid back game, go play checkers or something.

speeding up the game was a good thing. if you look at warcraft3 or starcraft, competitive games move really fast. There is no sitting around on resources waiting for things to happen, there's always creeping, expanding, exploring, pressuring, harassing, all of which with the exception of creeping is available in NS.

Um... NS is still about hives, dummy. Like brad said above, it's all about armor values and second/third hive abilities. Stomp + metabolize = win. WHen the aliens get the 3rd hive in REAL games, not retarded pub games where half the marines do nothing but hump the armory and the other half runs into oc's and just knife them.

5v5 isn't a big game, PLEASE. #nspug <-- go there ender and play something close to real ns. the only reason aliens don't have nodes early is because guess what, no one in pubs responds to "Resource tower is under attack" except for maybe one person, who gets mowed down because he's alone.

IF there's anything to be said about game flow, it's the fact that aliens are maybe too defensive before fades. After fades make their appearance, the game is balanced.

i wonder what's the real reason behind everyone's general dislike of ns now. it seems like the "cool" thing to do now.
                            Last edited by Sasuke; 04-03-2004, 03:41 PM.

Comment

I would never play this game on a serious tourny setting. With the way the res system is, this game isnt balanced enough for it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X