Slot Kicking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slot Kicking

I'd like to ask if we could implement recording of people who get kicked due to slots. I know I should just get a supporting membership, but I can't afford it at the moment.

I was playing tonight a bit. I was the most recent person to join, and being that I'm not an SM, I was the target to SM's joining. I got kicked, and didn't fret too much over it. I set it up to automatically reconnect me to the server when someone left... got in... got my surroundings and what had happened since I was there earlier, and then got kicked again.

I understand the way that we have it set up is to kick the person with the least amount of time on the server, but I think that it shouldn't kick the same person over and over again, being that regulars are normally the targets during nightly games.

Maybe we could set up the plugin to remember who got kicked last, and kick someone else next time. I think it's only being fair that if the person who just got kicked recently gets back in, he deserves to hold his slot.

Maybe I'm going too far.

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Re: Slot Kicking

I would agree with you but viewing it from the other side... What about the person that hasn't been able to play even a full game yet? They should get kicked instead of you because you already got to play tonight?

The best time to try to get on the server is during a map change, and most of the time if you manage to get on during that you can hold the spot.

Other then that I think it's just kind of a "deal with it" or pay situation...

Not worth it to actually code the plugin to be any smarter at it in my opinion...

If you wanted to get really fancy you could make it keep track of how often you are kicked to try to prevent it from routinely kicking the same people, but that has it's own problems and probably isn't worth it... The other thing is that it could kick whoever has been in the game the longest... but those people are normally either highly important to the team or they stayed in the server waiting for it to fill up.

No great way to do it really. You don't want to kick people that are important to the game (which kicking someone who hasn't been there long achieves), but then again you want as many regulars playing as much as possible...

and blah. I'm too tired, lol. Going to sleep now. Sorry if I started rambling. :D
    remi.D

Comment

I'd almost suggest kick, the person with the most time on the server. It's got it's pros and cons just like our current situation.

+ Pros
      + Alows everyone to have a fair amount of gameplay for the non-subscribers

- Cons
      - Could possibly be kicking the only one who knows what's going on in game and stradegising the most
      - Could kick Comm, and that just stinks

However I think it might act as a better system than currently implemented...
      -Sirusblk

Comment

Discussion, discussion.

I love it. MORE! :D

-Mom
        Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

This happened to me last night, I was comming and got kicked due to slots. And the whole trying to join between map changes doesn't matter too much, it just means you'll get in before a subscriber, and then we he tries to join you get kicked anyways. I've found it to be really frustrating. I wish that the reserved slot issue could also combine with time/points/and server points(you know the ones you spend for rr_jump). For example there are three people who could get kicked for a subscriber's slot,

"Non-Subscriber" Player 1 - Has been playing for 3 hours, has 250 points on the server, and has like 8 points on his team.
          "Non-Subscriber" Player 2 - Has been playing for 1 hour, has 1000 points on the server, and has 25 points for his team.
          "Non-Subscriber" Player 3 - Has been playing for 5 minutes, has 5000 points on the server, and already 20 points for his team.

Now in my opinion, Player 1 would be the right one to kick, hes already been playing for a while, isn't too much of a regular with only 250 server points, and isn't doing so much to help his team out compared to the other players (there could be differences due to alien or marine) But that Team point issue could slightly solve commanders getting kicked, seeing how they usually have the most points on their team and that would help deny them being kicked. I think having the player with the least time on the server to be the one to get kicked isn't too healthy. I'll go find another server, and then wait with auto-join until a slot opens up, one does, I hop in, another subscriber joins, I'm out. Now I just totally wasted my time ever switching from the other server. It gets frustrating. Same thing happens with map changes.

What do you think?
          Last edited by Xerond; 10-09-2006, 11:27 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

There is a well publicized avenue for remedy of this problem.

Part of the point is that it's SUPPOSED to be frustrating not being able to play on the world's most awesome NS server.
            [volun2]
            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

One manjor problem with relying on score like that is that the hive person is always lowest on the scoreboard. They also don't get score for dropping the hive. They only get it when the hive actually becomes fully built. So doing it that way it could be very likely to kick the hive person, or not as bad, but still pretty bad... the hive gorge. (as in after hive was dropped but before it's built)

I personally only go on TG. I don't ever go on any other server. If I want to get in I tend to just watch from HLTV until a spot is open. Too bad I'm at college and my computer is broke. Don't get to play much anymore. :/

I actually got on yesterday and someone said "sup blu?" and then my wireless connection died, lol... The voice was one of the more unique voices, but I couldn't quite place it... May have been turb or someone... I recognized the voice but couldn't attach a name.

--
              edit:
              But poker, as Wyz aparently realizes, some people just don't have the ability for one reason or another to become a subscriber. That doesn't mean they are less valuable to the server. (Technically they are, but they are still part of the commnunity and part of what makes TG great.)

These types of discussions arise because TG doesn't *just* care about the paying members, and I think that's a very good thing.

But yes, getting a membership is certainly the easiest way to avoid this frustration.
              remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight View Post
                edit:
                But poker, as Wyz aparently realizes, some people just don't have the ability for one reason or another to become a subscriber. That doesn't mean they are less valuable to the server. (Technically they are, but they are still part of the commnunity and part of what makes TG great.)

These types of discussions arise because TG doesn't *just* care about the paying members, and I think that's a very good thing.

But yes, getting a membership is certainly the easiest way to avoid this frustration.
                I realize the same thing. However, non-SMs must realize that the frustration of not being able to play here when you want is part of being a non-SM.

We recognize that finances are a touchy issue for everyone, whether you've got the money to burn or not. But if you don't have the money (which is OK) you need to accept that your server experience will not be optimal.

Thanks to Wyz bending over backwards, the server bends over backwards to accomodate the good players who for whatever reason choose not to contribute financially (we twist like a pretzel compared to other titles hosted here, and other NS servers anywhere else in the world).

I am sorry that good players who can't contribute financially sometimes get the short end of the stick, but they're getting the short end far less often than they would playing anything else anywhere else.
                [volun2]
                NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Anything else. Anywhere else.

Correct.

When I find the money tree, I'll post here first. It'll be a TGNS Exclusive. Like, before Drudge has it, you guys will have it.
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Dude, if that money tree is to support all of us, we'll need something that multiplies its value, slowly, over time. Like interest.
                    Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

Originally posted by zibalatz View Post
                      Dude, if that money tree is to support all of us, we'll need something that multiplies its value, slowly, over time. Like interest.
                      But where ever should we store such amounts? We'd need some sort of storage, that can be kept safe, like a vault.
                      USAR

Comment

I think they [tg] should modify the plugin to kick a player only after a full game has been completed. It doesn't make sense when your best player(s) is suddenly d0nat0red away and the tide of the game turns because of that.
                        [negative]

Comment

No way, that would screw over people that actually support this server financially. We don't want that. We like having a server. People that pay should be able to be get on when they want.
                          remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight View Post
                            No way, that would screw over people that actually support this server financially. We don't want that. We like having a server. People that pay should be able to be get on when they want.
                            </3 d0nat0r
                            [negative]

Comment

By kicking the non SM's immediately, there is more incentive for people to become SM's. Meaning more support for the community as a whole, which is ultimately in the non-SM's best interests.
                              Rm 14:2 NIV
                              One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X