Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ie7

Originally posted by Slashdot
    Microsoft plans to push out Internet Explorer 7 as a 'high priority update' when it ships security patches tomorrow, according to Washingtonpost.com's Security Fix blog. That means anyone who has Windows configured to download and install patches automagically from Redmond will be greeted with IE7 next time they boot up their machines.
    What effect will this have on Steam? I remember many people having trouble playing NS after downloading IE7beta. Should we hold off on downloading this update until Valve releases an update, or has it already been fixed?

Re: Ie7

Right about now, I think I hate Microsoft.

This is what I would do--hold off on the update, wait until that afternoon, and then check the STEAM forums. If there's a problem, you'll see about 59 threads posted by people complaining that they can't play Counterstrike anymore. Then you'll know its not safe. :)

Comment

If that happens, valve will fix it, but only after 1000+ posts on their forums complaining about it.
      Steam Community: | |

Comment

Here's a similar thread in the steampowered forums:
        http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=495309
        Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

Automatic updates changed to 'Notify' only. :/
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

good call.
            Steam Community: | |

Comment

Why would you even want IE? Firefox is the way to go!

Comment

Take religious war to The Sandbox forum.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Bob <(-.-c) View Post
                  Why would you even want IE? Firefox is the way to go!
                  Testing purposes. I maintain a website, and I need to know it displays correctly for most of my audience.

Comment

I installed IE7 a while back (Maybe 3 weeks) and it seemed to work fine with steam. I think it might have been just the beta days that didn't work. However, when it crashed on the 3rd website I went to, I immediately uninstalled.

Firefox2 RC2 ftw! Love the built in speal chacker.
                    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Originally posted by The actual article
                      The final release of IE7 is fast approaching Ö and I mean really fast Ö and will be delivered to customers via Automatic Updates a few weeks after itís available for download. We want to ensure that you are ready and the information below will help get you there.
                      The washington post blogger totally misread (and/or didn't read past the title of) the post; he claims that "The above post was changed", but the all-knowing Google says otherwise. We're safe - no IE7 for a few weeks at least.

Comment

I can't remember where I read it, probably on the steam forums, but Valve's position is that they do not support beta microsoft applications or operating system components. As soon as this gets pushed out, Valve will be forced to release a steam update that handles the ie7 component properly.

Anyone who doesn't have their auto-update set to 'notify' already is crazy :D

For clarity: The issue with IE7 only occurs when you get referred to an external web server via the sv_downloadurl variable. With IE7 beta installed, your NS will crash when such a referral happens.

Comment

al and puzl: Thank you very much. You're very helpful. :)

Comment

Agreed on the notify updates. I'll usually have a balloon that pops up no less than 30 times before I'll ever update. ;)
                            aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Thread, arise!

Just FYI, if you aren't hip to the latest Steam news, the IE7 bug has been fixed (supposedly, I'm not about to download IE7 to check).

Updates to Half-Life 1 Engine have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Half-Life 1 Engine

* Fixed crash when downloading content in game if IE7 was installed
                              * Fixed viewdemo command not working correctly with some demos
                              * Fixed getting duplicate friends message when in game

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X