Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Captains Games, Less Balance/Random?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Captains Games, Less Balance/Random?

I am starting to notice that balance/random is run a ton. And I am fine with that, but I remember when I first started playing here at TG seeing captains games more often. Maybe its because summer is over, but I think maybe it might be cool to start having captains games other then the once a week that I know it happens. Maybe like 2 more days a week having captains hours or everyday at a certain hour?

Its just been a long time since i have played a captains game and I really enjoy them.

Re: More Captains Games, Less Balance/Random?

Originally posted by freebirdpat View Post
    I am starting to notice that balance/random is run a ton. And I am fine with that, but I remember when I first started playing here at TG seeing captains games more often. Maybe its because summer is over, but I think maybe it might be cool to start having captains games other then the once a week that I know it happens. Maybe like 2 more days a week having captains hours or everyday at a certain hour?

Its just been a long time since i have played a captains game and I really enjoy them.
    Most admins will turn on captains IF there is two captains on the server and the general attitude is for it. Some (Who i will not name) will not do it as they hate it, but most will.
    Last edited by Eternaly_Lost; 10-22-2006, 03:46 PM.
    Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Yes.

Comment

I think the thing that is frowned upon about captains games is when it takes 5 minutes to pick the teams and then 10 more before both teams ready.
        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Originally posted by Eternaly_Lost View Post
          Most admins will turn on captains IF there is two captains on the server and the general attitude is for it. Some (Who i will not name) will not do it as they hate it, but most will.
          Some, who you will not name, will turn it on if it is asked for correctly, but generally, no one asks for it correctly so the one who you won't name won't put it on. Follow the correct format in asking for it, and I bet that who you won't name will turn it on. Besides, I know for a fact that the one who you won't name isn't on the server during the week due to a large workload and isn't on much during the weekend either. So maybe, the reason there isn't captains games that often isn't because the one you won't name doesn't like them but instead that people don't ask correctly.
          --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

Originally posted by bentring View Post
            I think the thing that is frowned upon about captains games is when it takes 5 minutes to pick the teams and then 10 more before both teams ready.
            Maybe institute timelimits on such things? In some form? And the time to ready shouldn't take more than 2-3 minutes imho.

By the way, I didn't know there was a formal way to ask for captains, when I started playing it usually went "anyone want to do captains?" or "anyone want to do captains next round?" or I usually just type "captains?" to gauge the reaction of the people playing.

Comment

Yes, I'm quite intrested in the right way of asking for a captains game, since I never knew there was any other way. I don't belive I saw a formal way in the rules or announcements... but maybe I'm mistaken and I just overlooked it

-Sirusblk

Comment

I'm just guessing here, but as near as I can tell...the "correct format" just means that within about 30 seconds after calling "Captains anyone?", you need 2 people to volunteer to actually BE captains. I've seen plenty of games where the whole server said "yay, lets do a captains game!"...and then after milling around for 2 or 3 minutes, we realize we don't have anyone who wants to actually BE a captain, so someone hits random instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                  "yay, lets do a captains game!"...and then after milling around for 2 or 3 minutes, we realize we don't have anyone who wants to actually BE a captain, so someone hits random instead.
                  Bingo, except I give it about 8 seconds, not 2 or 3 minutes. Have your two captains FIGURED OUT *before* you call for captains.

The reason captains games have fallen out of favor, popularly or administratively, is that they take too long to get going. If you want to see captains games more often, my recommendation is that you (yes, YOU -- the reader, not Kero :) ) become a *leader*, arguably a *champion*... of getting them going FASTER and with less confusion/delay.
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                    Bingo, except I give it about 8 seconds, not 2 or 3 minutes. Have your two captains FIGURED OUT *before* you call for captains.

The reason captains games have fallen out of favor, popularly or administratively, is that they take too long to get going. If you want to see captains games more often, my recommendation is that you (yes, YOU -- the reader, not Kero :) ) become a *leader*, arguably a *champion*... of getting them going FASTER and with less confusion/delay.
                    I think that they are getting slower because we do not do them often, It takes time to set up and the more you do it the faster you can run through it. And about Earlier post, I presented two captains but it was balanced anyway. :(
                    Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                      I presented 2-3 minutes as a worst case scenario, of what happens when you aren't around to give us a deadline. :)

Comment

Keres, there are still some admin that won't put it on captains regardless of what format is used.

I guess it all falls back into the "don't have to if I don't want to" setting.

Wyz is right, but I have a problem with the current system. It's my understanding that the current system requires you to ask someone to captain (IE: Wyz, will you captain?) This gets the job done, sure, but AS SOON AS ANY admin hears the word captain, that 8 second timer is on. It can be very confusing in a ready room, so trying to say "Wyz, will you captain," may pass as "Captains!" to an admin.

-Mom
                        Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

If you like captains games, consider being a captain.

Really, the thing that turns admins (or anyone) off most is the process of getting the ball rolling. Yes, captains cames are fun and such, but we're all capable of having fun without pulling our own teeth out for 15 minutes beforehand too.
                          [volun2]
                          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

captains games are fun, and i dont mind the wait, but it seems to be a problem to get captains with plans.
                            Natural Selection name: Fodderkill. Why Fodderkill? Well, its because im so easy to kill hahaha!
                            "Why don't Fades ever die?"
                            -Universal question almost all new players ask at some point, even if they n ever say it.

Forum name: Fat B Man
                            Ingame name: Fodderkill

Just call me Fodder on TS or whatever

Comment

I like captains games when we explore ridiculous stradegys, I remember my first captain's game. As aliens our initial stradegy backfired, so we decided to do a gorge rush to double. Amazingly it worked. Far too often captain games now a days play it safe. I myself would be willing to be a captain, however I still go on and find loads of people whose skill level I don't know, or how they stand with others :(

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X