• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD vs CRT monitors

which is better for gaming in general?
    [negative]

Re: LCD vs CRT monitors

CRTs, that is undeniable, but the benefits of LCDs in non gaming aspects FAR out weigh any downside that they may have for gaming.
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by kormendi View Post
      CRTs, that is undeniable, but the benefits of LCDs in non gaming aspects FAR out weigh any downside that they may have for gaming.
      I have to agree. Just "inherited" a free 17" Samsung LCD when my parents got their Dell system and there is a slight difference between it and the old CRT but the space savings alone are worth it.

Comment

A decent quality LCD is perfect for gaming. The cheaper ones that have the longer rise/fall times can make gaming a blurry experience. I believe my laptop does 20ms rise/fall, and it's perfect for gaming.
        Rm 14:2 NIV
        One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

Comment

I much prefer my LCD for pretty much anything compaired to any of my CRT's. From my understanding, the biggest advantage a CRT will have over a (considering compairable quality) LCD is in the color department. LCD aren't to the point of reproducing colors as well as a CRT.

Like Tempest stated, just make sure the LCD you're considering isn't known for ghosting, and also take note that LCD screens have a native resolution, and won't look as good if you run it in another resolution.
          aka Roland tHTG

Comment

I had talked with my dad over this very same issue. He told me that, LCD are mainly the best they can make right now, where as CRT are just cheap as they can make them. A good CRT will beat an LCD in just about anything, except size.

I like CRT a lot more then LCD. It took me forever to get use to my laptop, things just don't move the same anymore, and games are all stretched out, or they run slowly due to lack of power in the card to pump out 60 fps at 1400x1050. Oblivion would run just fine if it was 800x600 but it puts it in a box in the center :( .
            Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

CRT's have higher resolutions on smaller screens (IE 17"/19") and better color's... If I had the choice between a 19" CRT with extrem resolutions and great color or a 17" LCD with gaming grade capibilities (8ms response or lower) i'd go with the LCD.

I dont notice the difference in colors to tell you the truth, and I cant afford a graphics card that will play a game with high resolutions (Anything higher than 1280x1024), so LCD's play it best with me. Plus the size/weight/cool factors beat CRT's anyday of the week.
              Oyee

Comment

Lost, you can't really consider gaming on a laptop LCD as the same as a desktop LCD. It would drive me crazy trying to play on the wife's laptop, even if the videocard could push the game optimally.

And there are still plenty of high quality CRT monitors built, you just won't be finding them much at the office supply stores. ;)
                aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Samsung 930 B 19 inch LCD for me. 8 MS response time...never had a ghosting issue once...
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I am hope they make a SED monitor soon, then this debate will be over. ;) I am sticking with my CRT for now.
                    Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

The only issue normal people* worry about on LCDs is ghosting. I've tried NS on a CRT and an LCD. The LCD seems to hold images longer than the CRT does. Thus I play strictly on CRTs. It feels like being underwater vs being aboveground with 20/20 vision. It probably won't matter to you if you're a normal person* but just the same, you might consider it.

*By this, I mean someone who is a mediocre to obsessive gamer but not a graphics nerd (concerned whether or not you can display 6 or 8 million colors) or an audiophile. In other words, if you would ever consider using the phrase "My sound quality roxxors!" you don't fall into this category.

Comment

My LCDs win for size alone.
                        It's got a sharper image and tends to be brighter.
                        Tis love.
                        remi.D

Comment

I bought an L1970HR from LG a little while ago and I am very pleased. 19" LCD with 1600:1 contrast ratio and 2ms response time. As far as I know, nothing compares to it in terms of performance on a 19" LCD. I don't notice any difference between it and a CRT but maybe someone with faster twitch reflexes than I have would notice a difference.

I picked it up for $299 CDN at FutureShop (a Canadian electronics store owned by BestBuy) and at the time it was a "FutureShop exclusive". I would assume that means it's a BestBuy exclusive as well.

P.S. I'd link to the BestBuy site but it appears to be down for maintenance.
                          Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

yo saty on that stuff, also lcd stuff gets cheaper and cheaper
                            i got an e-machine's 15 for like 75 bucks plus tax after some savings and 50 buck rebate
                            stay on top of that stuff g
                            also on that note, now that the technology is getting cheaper even the less exspensive generic brands are making decent lcd monitors that cost nothing compared to big companies, my pal showed me two monitors (he works at circuit city) one was a samsung widescreen (maybe 21 inches dont remember) and there was another monitor with identical specs for less than half of how much it cost.
                            so i mean you could have one cool samsung or two generics that preform just as well or just one generic and whole butload of cash
                            i like cash

ps: hell yes space, espcially in dorm supplied desks (which are tiny) lcd ftw

ps II: reading comics on an lcd screen is unreal like for serious

Comment

ok, 'cuz I was wondering whether or not I should switch out my LCD for a 19" CRT since I heard that LCDs are not so great for gaming mainly because of the low refresh rates (I can get about 75 max on this LCD monitor and sometimes I can't track fast objects).
                              [negative]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X