HLSW supports Steam NS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HLSW supports Steam NS

I've been using HLSW to launch NS (just another HL mod) for well over a year now, but I just noticed that beta .26 now officially supports Steam NS.

FWIW, you might want to run it.

ftp://ftp.hlsw.org/downloads/beta/hl...beta_setup.exe
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: HLSW supports Steam NS

w00t? so your back in game now?

Comment

I discovered tonight that the fan on my video card was not moving. I have repaired that, and things seem better for me. It still doesn't seem what it was, but perhaps that is my imagination. I'm playing and trying to get used to it.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
        I discovered tonight that the fan on my video card was not moving. I have repaired that, and things seem better for me. It still doesn't seem what it was, but perhaps that is my imagination. I'm playing and trying to get used to it.
        You may have damaged that relic.

I have a Geforce3 ti500 card for sale. Name your price.

Comment

Time for a seminar. How does HLSW work with Steam? Do you launch Steam (or let it start automatically), then get into Natural Selection via HLSW?
          Sorry for asking a silly question, but I had never heard of the app before becoming a TGer. I saw the screenies of it on the Web...just curious what advantages it offers me (especially if I only play NS).
          Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Emanon
            You may have damaged that relic.

I have a Geforce3 ti500 card for sale. Name your price.

smooth Ema :p

Comment

Ok. This has been a long time in coming. Considering I've perfected the HL-launching experience, I might as well explain my procedure.

I think HLSW stands for Half-Life Server Watcher. The NS (and other TG game) admins use HLSW to monitor and admin the servers remotely. It has a very nice interface for basic administration of players playing on an NS server you're not presently on.

More important, however, is HLSW's clean and reliable launching of HL when you want to join a server, especially one with our configuration. HLSW maintains lists of servers for you to browse and join. Depending on the type of server list you're setting up in HLSW, it can be either a list of servers you've manually entered into the program or a list of servers that HLSW has found through the "Gamers Search" service which meet your specifications (filters, such as "is running Cheating Death" or "has a ping to my computer of less than 100").

Upon selecting a server from the server list, HLSW will display as much information about a server as you have access to see. For most players, that includes a list of players on the server, the map being played, etc... the basics. Admins can often see more information, such as players pings, IP addresses and the log and chat of the server in real time.

Go into the settings of HLSW and configure it so that it knows about your Steam installation. Configure all of your settings the way you want them.

Now here's the kicker. Here's what makes my experience so smooth, and the feature that I think most people overlook. It has to do with Cheating Death, and how to run it correctly and without problem (ala No C-D) every time. HLSW will launch CD when you join a server that requires it. However, it isn't smart enough to launch CD when you're joining a server where CD is optional. To solve this problem, I use HLSW's feature for launching any program you specify anytime you join ANY SERVER. Also, HLSW will kill the windows process of that program when you return from playing on the server. This is exactly the rigid discipline that the CD process needs if it's going to perform flawlessly for you every time, without you having to babysit it. I have HLSW launch CD anytime I join any server, and kill it when you return. In addition, I do the exact same thing with a little shareware app that disables my CAPSLOCK from staying on (this allows me to use CAPSLOCK for my voicecomm key without CAPSLOCK being on when I return from the game -- very annoying side effect, now gone forever).

HLSW is a very powerful program. It is probably the most efficient program I use if I measure efficiency by dividing the number of features of the software I need and use into the number of features the software provides in total. Obviously some of the features are for admins only, but it's also a wonderful server browser for players.

The only stable piece of software that really offers similar value is All Seeing Eye (ASE - free to try, pay to buy), which I purchased and used before I found HLSW. Having used both extensively, I prefer HLSW. ASE supports many, many more games than HLSW. But then, I don't buy a cable television package because it offers all the channels I want PLUS all the newest Greek and Italian channels. I don't care anything about Greek and Italian programming, so I just need basic cable. Similarly, I want a piece of software that is stable, reliable, very configurable, and gets me into HL in exactly the setup I want to have in the game. The features in ASE that I predominantly used to play HL were its ability to find my friends, add them to a buddy list, monitor servers, join servers, automatically update the game, automatically update itself, and filter servers. HLSW does all of these things with the exception of updating the game, which is managed by Steam.

For me, HLSW fits that need efficiently and effectively, and for just the right price: Free.

If I can answer any other questions, please do let me know.

Comment

By gosh, I asked for the seminar -- and I got it!

Thanks for the run-down, Wyz.

Comment

OoOoOoooo new version. I love HLSW here I go to dl. Used this puppy for a year or two, great program. "Der Download beginnt in 2 Sekunden automatisch" every time I read that it's like some German is screaming it at me, love those crazy germans.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

What if there is an update to CD? If you run it by hand, you can check, but if you have HLSW run it, you can't. I had trouble with this and abandoned having HLSW do that.

Also, can HLSW update itself? as of beta 11 it couldn't.(or did i miss that? i have a bad habit of that sort of thing)

One more thing, do you have to start steam before you do this? I believe the answer is still yes, just checking.

I have never gotten steam to work with HLSW, I haven't tried the newest version, so I will soon.
                    --
                    CaveDog
                    "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Comment

Yes, you have to launch Steam before you join the server. This is probably the one thing I really would enjoy having "improved."

Beta 26 introduces an auto-updater in HLSW. Seeing as how b26 is the latest release, only time will tell how it functions.

When my CD updates, the HLSW continues without issue. Meanwhile, CD is downloading the update in the background and installing it. My game ends, I drop out of HL, HLSW kills CD, and CD is upgraded upon its next auto-launch by HLSW, as I enter my next HL game.

The problem comes when *Steam* updates. This invariably breaks CD, which HLSW is auto-launching. But good luck caring how your experience goes when Steam updates. It's all-but-officially-documented that the first 20 gaming minutes of any day that sees a Steam update is an excercise in frustration, no matter the environment.

Comment

Also, anytime Steam updates, I use Steam to simply open NS the game (not join a server) and get to the menus (servers, options, quit, etc). Then I simply quit NS and return to my desktop. Then I continue using HLSW as I always have.

Experience shows that Steam updates (HL updates?) often don't "complete" until you open the game using the Steam menus. Opening the game you're playing at least (and only) once without using a third-party server browser (again, you don't have to join a server) ensures that the Steam update completes without issue.

Attempts to launch HL using HLSW immediately after a Steam update has "completed", and without first opening HL without a third-party server browser, will often fail with errors.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X