No announcement yet.

kbd/mouse lag post-10/25 Steam update?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kbd/mouse lag post-10/25 Steam update?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=502112
    http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-...i=&p_topview=1

I saw mention of these two URLs in the NS.com forums. It seems that the Oct 25 Steam update created keyboard and mouse lag for some clients.

I haven't noticed any problems, but I thought I'd pass it along.

edit: I have experienced a strange behavior from my client when viewing demos. Recently, but only intermittently, when releasing keys on my keyboard (showing the scoreboard, or moving around with spec_mode 3), the client doesn't acknowledge that I've released the key for 1 to 5 seconds, roughly. I haven't experienced this in gameplay at all. I wonder if it's related.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: kbd/mouse lag post-10/25 Steam update?

I haven't seen this in both game and HLTV. Guess I'm just lucky!
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

I can't pin down the exact start date, but this seems about right for what I've experienced lately. My symptom has been that my mouse pointer isn't operational for a length of time -- around 15 seconds maybe -- and therefore I'm unable to look in any direction except the one I froze in.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

My mouse pointer was doing something similar, except it would usually shoot wildly off in 1 direction first and THEN freeze for 1-3 seconds. The state of the mouse buttons was also frozen. However, in my case it occurred equally in NS and just browsing windows, so I guessed it was just a problem with my mouse and I bought a new one.

The new one doesn't suffer from that problem, but its not as high-quality to begin with, so if I knew how to fix the old one that would still be cool.

Of course, that started way before 10/25, so I'm probably completely off topic, aren't I? =)

Comment

Yeah this is exactly the problem I've been having. Paranoid pointed me to those links in irc. Unfortunately none of the suggested solutions work. I'm pretty sure I'm at the mercy of the goldsrc maintenance programmers.

Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure this started happening after the "fixed-for-ie7" update was released.
          Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

Oh my gosh... I just posted something about my dying beloved mouse, perhaps it isn't dying!!!!!!
            [...]play skillfully[...] Psalm 33:3

Comment

I saw mention that recording client demos while playing solved the problem. I don't know if that's mentioned in those links. I don't know if it works.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Well... I ran the "steam diagnostic" and it had me update my graphics drivers... which actually fixes another problem I was having... but as I went to click on my bookmark for TG, my mouse stopped half-way there for 2 seconds or so... lol?

Comment

Well this explains my "dying mouse" a few days ago. I record demos regularly, so that would explain why it fixed itself. Thanks for the info wyz.

Comment

Looks like I spoke a bit prematurely. The demo-recording fix worked for me. If you're having lag attributable to this problem, just type "record bort" in console and it record a demo of the match and your problem will go away.
                    Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

This solution worked for me. Thank you for posting it, and thanks stupid^^ for pointing me in the right direction. The game is now no longer unplayable!

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

I've gotten that problem even before the update. I simply close off all my background processes that arent in use, and that seems to fix the problem.

Comment

since my fixes with graphics drivers, I have had no mouse problems!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X