Please read this if you have a core 2 duo processor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please read this if you have a core 2 duo processor

Ok, so I just got a new computer with an intel core 2 duo processor, which apparently can't even run NS. As HP's customer support is incompetent, I was wondering if anyone has successfully run NS on a core 2 duo, and if so how it was done. Essentially what's occurring is the game will lock up every couple of minutes, continually sending the same image and sound, while not accepting any input. I'm hoping someone will have an idea about how to approach this problem. Until then, it seems I'll be gone from the server.

Re: Please read this if you have a core 2 duo processor

What about those symptoms makes you think it's the processor? I've had identical symptoms before from sound hardware?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

1) does this occur in any other game
      2) does this occure in HL1 or any other HL1 mod
      3) have you checked the system error logs
      4) Have you checked and double checked all drivers
      5) Have you had any other symptoms with your computer
      6) Have you tried setting the game to run on only ONE thread of the CPU?
      Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkilla View Post
        6) Have you tried setting the game to run on only ONE thread of the CPU?
        Thats a big one. Its a good habit to run all your games on a single CPU when they don't support multiple CPUs.
        Steam Community: | |

Comment

supposedly this will be fixed by itself in january when vista comes out as it automatically detects programs which are not dual-processor capable and will single-thread them. other than that, the only solution i could think of has already been said.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
            As HP's customer support...
            There's your problem. Sorry, couldn't resist.

As said above, run it on one cpu and it'll be fine. However... if that doesn't work, it's something else (granted, that would still be a contributing factor).

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
              What about those symptoms makes you think it's the processor? I've had identical symptoms before from sound hardware?
              Me too. For the longest time, Creative, nVIDIA and Valve did NOT get along at the same time...
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I have no idea what this single thread / dual core compatibility business is. Software doesn't need to "support" multiple CPUs (except for the operating system, obviously). It can be designed to take better advantage of the additional CPU, but just the fact that there are two cores shouldn't stop a game from working.

FWIW, I've run NS fine on my Intel Core Duo (no 2), and that's a mac!

Comment

While I can offer no technical advice, I should add that my laptop has an Intel Centrino Duo processor and is approximately 6 months old. I have had no unusual issues running NS. While I know that my laptop processor will undoubtedly differ from the desktop model, from that example and the other ones given above it seems unlikely that the dual-core processor is causing the difficulties.

From the symptoms my first thought is related to your video driver. *Edit* I might also note that it's possible your video card is too new, so to speak. It may not be properly supported by older games, or at least the software support may not have caught up with it yet.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. It appears that the problem has gone away for now, though I still have no clue as to what the cause was. On a side note, according to HP tech support the core 2 duo line is not two processors, but rather 1 processor that acts like two. I have no idea of the truth of this statement, but it made me decide that as long as it works, I really don't want to ask any more questions...

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Core
                      Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Well it turns out the problem hasn't gone away, it's just become somewhat less frequent. So, here's everything I think might be relevant:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
                        nvidia GeForce 7600 GT graphics card
                        2 GB ram

I'm currently using that graphics card to run two monitors, with different resolutions and displays (ie. not clone), though initial testing seemed to indicate that's not the problem.

Comment

If you wanna go extreme, disable the sound card completely (or remove the hardware entirely) and see if the problem continues.

Surely there's a more elegant solution. Surely I'm not cool enough to think of it.
                          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I've never had any trouble using dual monitors and freezing. The only problem I have is when I have the cursor showing (tab or pop up menu) and move the mouse offscreen, which causes NS to minimize.

Ag, you may want to try running programs designed to stress different components of your system to ensure stability.
                            aka Roland tHTG

Comment

This is a long shot, but recently there was an update to steam that screwed up SOME people's NS game (myself included). Now every time I play the game, I have to alt-tab to windows, ctl-alt-del to task man, then set hl.exe to LOW priority. Otherwise, I get symtoms that sound similar to yours.

I know it sounds cooky, and it is, but it worked for me. Worth a shot, anyways.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X