3.2 Thoughts..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.2 Thoughts..

I really only played aliens for 10 minutes so I have no view on marines side.

I really believe the balance of this game took a dive, aliens lost a lot of their strong points and speed. They have become very lofty... as a car I would describe them as a .. well their kind of like escalades now.. as to the previous felt much like a lotus elise. they have a more human- like movement i guess. Lerks seem to have less adrenaline or spore / umbra costs more, they are much slower with celerity and 2 hives.

To me it feels like a game that is much more directed at making beginners competitive with people who have seasoned themselves with months and months or years of practice. Reminds me of final fantasy X, those of you that have played the series, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Some may like it, things may change, but as of now I think Ill keep my gaming to a minumum.. what are your thoughts?

Re: 3.2 Thoughts..

It is wwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too early to start talking about balance.
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

Seriously. Way too early.

I'll open this thread again in 24 hours.

Go play, already.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Do not use this thread to make assumptions and judgments about changes you haven't adequately experienced. We all witness that mistake from our peers every time a new release hits us, and I'll be spending some energy this time around to limit the effects of that impulsiveness in these forums. Keep it educated and interesting, as much as possible.

Beyond that, please do discuss. If it makes sense to start another thread about a specific 3.2 topic, you might help the discussion by doing so.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

well I only experienced lerk twice and skulk about 23 times. Is that too little as to be explained as an assumption? Eh.. in any case have at it.

Comment

I put my current opinions up on the NS forums, I'm interested in the feedback some of the people here can give, since many are better than I am.

(GAH, CAN'T POST URLS) anyway, post #35 in the 3.2 public feedback on the NS general forums.
            http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/...post&p=1579980

It's mostly related to the new +move command, has a fair amount of length to it.
            Last edited by kormendi; 11-23-2006, 10:36 AM. Reason: Added link to NS.com post

Comment

Post the link, Slink. Just replace http with hxxp. No biggie.

Comment

What do you guys think about Marine Turtling? It looks to me like Turtling is making a comeback in a big way, and aliens have lost most of their ability to do base breaking at 3-Hives.

I havent seen the dreaded "turtle in a Hive relocate" strat yet, but I'm not exactly looking forward to it either. That game is going to take forever to end.

Comment

So do it, already. Pretend you're testing. :) Then share/discuss the results here.

Comment

Will do, as soon as I have...oh, about 2 hours to kill :D

Comment

Ok, heres my report. I should have taken a demo, but I forget how.

We played on NS_Tanith, and were going to relocate to Waste hive. But the aliens started in that hive, so after going through double I sent the marines to Cargo instead. We started building in Cargo.

The marines were good enough to cap Satcom side of the map, and we let aliens have double. We held on to marine start for awhile before they took it, so it was 6 nodes to 4, then 5 to 5 for awhile.

We had a gate in Satcom, but I intentionally didnt fortify it, and around the 5 or 6 minute mark the gate went down and the aliens dropped Satcom hive. From there they pushed down the rest of our nodes, leaving us with just Cargo and Fusion RTs. It was now 2 RTs to 7, then 8 after they put up Acid. We were locked into Cargo/Fusion at around the 10 minute mark, but we had held RTs long enough to get 2/1 upgrades, MT, and a Protolab (nothing researched yet), and W3 was just starting research. Aliens had MC and DC.

From there, the bunkering down began. We put up turrets, seiges in case the aliens tried to movement rush fusion, and got Jetpacks and lots of HMGs. We were able to hold Fusion RT most of the time, replacing it every once in awhile, and 2 RTs was enough to finish teching all upgrades.

Early alien attacks were un-coordinated and resulted in lots of slaughter, with Fades, Lerks, and Onos dieing in short order. With 8 alien RTs, they could afford to continue the onslaught despite setbacks, and they started showing better teamwork. Multi-Onos rushes scared us a little, but the architecture of the room prevented them from stomping effectively, and together with Jetpacks, we were able to kill them or chase them off without losing any buildings. The aliens did try to drop Fusion Hive, but the short walk time from base, combined with the few seiges we could afford, put a quick end to that plan.

The assaults continued, and umbraed Onos timed to hit when some our rambos were out of base would occasionally kill as much as one building before dying. We could easily afford to replace them though, and res in pocket fluctuated from 10 to as much as 100.

Finally, around 35 minutes, a rambo snuck up a phase gate in research labs. We jetpack rushed Waste hive and killed it. Meanwhile, another Onos assault torched our AA and Proto before the Jets could get back to base to defend the arms labs. We couldnt drop Jets or Guns, but already had about 5 JPs and at least 2 HMGs. The aliens had some pretty good Fades and Lerks, but they couldnt stand up to our guns. We started marching on Satcom Hive, but it was promising to take awhile since the place was thouroughly OC spammed. Fortunately, the aliens saved us the trouble and F4ed, ending the game in marine victory at about 36 minutes.

Edit: This was actually my second attempt. My first attempt was on NS_Nancy, relocating to Port hive. Unfortunately, I couldn't lose that game if I tried. (Which I did). My marines were running around soloing Fades and Lerks with LMGs. I had one crackshot rambo that I accidently gave a shotgun too, and he was basically routing the entire alien team by himself. The only thing slowing him down was the fact that I refused to give him medpacks, and didn't offer him much ammo either. He still took down 2 Fades solo, without healing.
                      Last edited by Kerostasis; 11-23-2006, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I have mixed feelings. At first, I loved it because I was marines. Then I played aliens and I wanted to kill myself. Too little to tell, seems everyone is marine stacking as always.

Its a good touch up, but in my opinion it needs more work from what I have witnessed so far.

Comment

Gut reaction: I hate blink.

Or rather, what they did to it. If I hadn't known the old version I wouldn't know any better.

Comment

I dont play fade a whole lot, but from what i read on the changelog, you hold it for a second and it goes faster. still, i did like the old version better, but i think it still works well enough.

Comment

so far every game i've played ends up a marine win even 2 vrs 2 or 4 vrs 4
                              early game seems about the same but once marines get ups aliens cant hold much

i've even been in a couple games lerking early and dominating the res get second hive up and try to push the third when the marines start coming back and pushing aliens back

IMO if marines just kick back and upgrade they will win once they get lvl 3 hmg's and jp's onos, fades, lerks are just bigger skulks

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X