3.2 strategies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.2 strategies

I've been noticed for quite a few games now that players are adjusting to 3.2 specific changes. Notably, placing DCs (preferably outside siege range) to make a threatened hive stronger. Also I've seen DCs going up in each hive for additional healing if there is any extra res floating around.

I've also had the chance to play quite a few games where any chamber was used first and the whole system seems much more flexible than it was previously. People seem to like DCs moreso now than SCs, but SCs are still an option and can be used interchangeably. Now that we have +movement going carapace fade first isn't to bad in the early game.

What else have you guys noticed?
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: 3.2 strategies

Pretty much that. I think commanders already know how to counter SC first, but aren't up to speed on how to counter a siege against a 3DC defended hive.
    Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Really? I've seen a lot of commanders seiging out some hives with 3 DCs. They usually have like 4-5 seiges and a few shotguns covering and then shooting the hive when lifeforms are down.

Comment

Speaking of strategy, I would like to officially propose an amendment to the server rules to completely outlaw structure blocking. The reason for this is due to a game on origin just a few minutes ago when a hive siege was set up in ore extraction for furnace. the doorway connecting ore extraction and furnace was blocked by two armories, which barely allowed skulks to fit through and completely nullified any chance for a fade defense (they had 2-3 shotgunners positioned behind the armories blowing away anything that tried to get through and everyone knows that it takes at least 5-7 seconds with full blink to go the long way around through ore scanner, and even more as a skulk). As a result, at least 3 people from the alien team quit the server (call it rage-quitting if you wish, but thats an extremely cheap tactic).

Now, its been universally said that aliens are less favored in 3.2. We know this. And in that diminished capacity, old strategies which were iffy at best, such as this, should be removed as they do nullify an alien defense. The goal is to have fair gameplay where skill and teamwork dictate the outcome of a game, not utilizing map faults to semi-exploit your way to a win. Just my two cents.

EDIT:
        I checked the server immediately after the map changed and the only remaining people from a full server were the some of the people on the rine team and one person who was a late join on aliens.

Comment

I've got a few thoughts about your wanting to change server rules after losing one room, but I'll keep them to myself for now. Keep posts in this thread on topic to 3.2 strats. Try to keep administrative discussion in another thread, if not a PM to an admin.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I comm'ed a game a day or two ago where I scanned the building second hive on our way up to the siege spot and noticed they already had the hive space ready with 3 DCs. Basically I saved up a little more money to get an extra siege or two down so we could get that extra punch to kill the hive with the DCs. From what I've seen, most comm's still only place around 3 sieges to take a hive with DCs healing, and they rarely take it. This is mostly because if you have that much healing going on (including at least 1 gorge) you really gotta be on the ball to be pinging consistently as soon as the hive disappears from your sight.

What I've been done is getting my first siege up, pinging once to get all the potentially bile bombing gorges under the hive healing, then build up the other 3 sieges while still pinging along the whole time. Seems to work almost every time.

I've also been seeing a lot more JPs flying around the map, this is mostly due to the decreased cost and improved movement. Done a number of jetpack rushes and players seem to be doing far better with them now than in the previous version. Just yesterday I handed a skilled marine a JP and a shotty, and gave him the job of defending our nodes using his minimap while the rest of the team and I concentrated on the hive siege. Not only did he defend our nodes, he hit the alien nodes on the other side of the map when they were least able to defend them. Worked flawlessy and we ended the game with them having 0 rts well before we got to their last hive.

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
              I handed a skilled marine a JP and a shotty, and gave him the job of defending our nodes using his minimap while the rest of the team and I concentrated on the hive siege. Not only did he defend our nodes, he hit the alien nodes on the other side of the map when they were least able to defend them. Worked flawlessy and we ended the game with them having 0 rts well before we got to their last hive.
              I've used this strat for a long time, but it typically fails with most marines, as they don't have what it takes to manage the map, the jet, the nodes, the attackers, etc.. all at once. With the JP "buff", I look forward to having more marines and more opportunities for this.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

The minimap changes are a huge "buff" to your solo node defender/attacker.

Since I generally gorge mid-game, I've been tending to put one or two OCs (if we have the cash) around the hives and in key spots since JPs are so much more prevalent. Just one or two OCs in a hive can really aid in defending it. Forces the jets to land for medpacks and gives the aliens a little more chance at catching them.
                Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

I was on Irc talking about the new dcs. They are useful vs siege cannon. Each Dc counter .4 siege cannons, if the siege cannon never stop firing.

Some Thresholds.

3 Dcs, will counter 1.2 cannons.
                  5 Dcs, will counter 2.0 cannons.
                  8 Dcs, will counter 3.2 cannons.

So dc's first with 8 dcs in a hive make it very hard to siege down, as even with 6 cannons, you are doing less damage then 3 vs a no dc hive.

Over all I think that dcs are worth the res you spend on them in a siege.
                  Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

I could be mistaken, but I thought in a group of >3 DCs, only 3 would heal at a time?

Comment

i think its each dc affects max 3 objects, maximum 6 dcs affecting each object.

Comment

Its each DC affects at maximum 3 other objects. I have no idea if theres a cap on how many different DCs can heal one object, but if there was I would expect it to be 8.

Comment

Each DC can only heal 3 targets. There is no limit on the number of DCs an entity can be healed by. This is being reviewed for beta2.

Have you tried DC regen denial? If a hive is surrounded by chambers, simply spraying the area with an lmg or hand grenades can reduce the effectiveness of the DC nest.

Comment

DC cease to heal while they're taking damage?

No joke?

I guess siege damage doesn't count or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                              DC cease to heal while they're taking damage?

No joke?

I guess siege damage doesn't count or something?
                              No dummy, if you damage 5 DCs with a grenade, then the DCs will be working to heal 6 targets (5 DCs + 1 hive). Considering they can only heal 3 targets at a time, that handicaps the healing power as not all would be healing the hive.

Puzl, any insight on how the targets are selected? Lowest HP? Proximity?
                              Steam Community: | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X