Assigning Squads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assigning Squads

How many of you find yourself assigning squads and squad leaders to get stuff done in the average match in NS?

I seem to find myself doing it more often, because lemme tell yeh, if I can get two teams of three guys doing stuff, with a squad leader organizing them, life is easier on the commander. Though it seems to me that on the TG server, people don't do this for some reason.

Re: Assigning Squads

In Captains games there is often a "pressure" group and a "capping" group. There is normally no leader assigned to either though. We are only talking about a 7 man team (i'm not counting the com). A good com doesn't have any problem leading that small a number.
    remi.D

Comment

I can't remember the last time I created a squad in the hotkey'd "You're Squad One" sense.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight View Post
        In Captains games there is often a "pressure" group and a "capping" group. There is normally no leader assigned to either though. We are only talking about a 7 man team (i'm not counting the com). A good com doesn't have any problem leading that small a number.
        Not to mention during most games (with the server full of regulars) people playing here know what they are doing. If the comm gives a command, and doesn't give a name, most players will check to make sure someone is getting the job done, and if not, will do it themself.

I also notice a lot of players helping the comm watch the map in 3.2, which is how it should be.
        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

To me the problem with assigning actual marine squads is that they are not an effective way to handle the way ns gameplay proceeds. Players die, respawn away from their original group, and move around on what is ultimately not usually a huge map from an rts point of view with relatively few units. With the game moving at such a fast pace, individual units have to form squads in a very fluid form and not in the fixed way that squads work.

If this game had typically many more units to deal with I can see how squads might become useful, but even then the problem of dead players respawning away from their squad would be problematic. Do you continue to include them in the original squad and ask them to catch up? Do you remove them and re-assign them? Either way I don't think squads effectively address how you want to deal with these units.
          Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

The squad system was one of the few things in NS that wasn't implemented well for marines. I only get use out of it for buildings.
            Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
            Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Squad 5 For the win.

Comment

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/?act...=faq#faq-49713

Squad 5 is best.
                :D

Comment

Originally posted by zibalatz View Post
                  To me the problem with assigning actual marine squads is that they are not an effective way to handle the way ns gameplay proceeds. Players die, respawn away from their original group, and move around on what is ultimately not usually a huge map from an rts point of view with relatively few units. With the game moving at such a fast pace, individual units have to form squads in a very fluid form and not in the fixed way that squads work.

If this game had typically many more units to deal with I can see how squads might become useful, but even then the problem of dead players respawning away from their squad would be problematic. Do you continue to include them in the original squad and ask them to catch up? Do you remove them and re-assign them? Either way I don't think squads effectively address how you want to deal with these units.
                  Bingo. This is the main problem with squads in NS, and why I rarely use them. On TG, it's easy enough to organize squads verbally without using the squad system.

The squad buttons are very useful on the other hand to map to structures like the obs and arms lab.

Originally posted by puzl View Post
                  Squad 5ing a player or group who does something exceptional for the team, or the whole team if appropriate is a great way to use it. :)
                  LLJK-Domino in game

Comment

I map squads to base structures. I manage groups of individuals largely on their location, not their identities ("C12 to Pipe."; "Double, move to Cargo.").

I'll rarely assign a squad to an individual in a jetpack working the entire map for me, moving at great speeds and with little to no micromanagement. This allows me to center on him immediately, then center immediately back to whatever I was focusing on beforehand.
                    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by bentring View Post
                      I also notice a lot of players helping the comm watch the map in 3.2, which is how it should be.
                      In my experience, this feature is finaly here to aid the marines on the field rather then comm, since as a comm always new what is being attacked.
                      Having said that, new map enhancements make life easier for all parties.

Comment

I frequently assign a marine to a squad, typically when he's sitting on top of my obs to build it. Then I get mad at him when he won't beacon for me.

Comment

I'll beacon for you anytime, big boy.
                          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Every time you beacon all the marines are smashed in to tiny pieces and new ones are brought in at the base. The old marines are killed to keep them from feeling jealous of the new ones that are there because the old marines just were not cutting it.

I usually beacon 3-4 times at the start of the game to make sure I have the best of the best. For some reason though, the 4th or 5th set of marines think they are good enough they don't need me as a commander and often kick me out and assume command.

It would be cool of groups could easily be assigned by area or proximity. I would like to see a feature where you select a marine and press a number, the number you press selects the closest X marines to the selected marine in addition to that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Pirate View Post
                              Every time you beacon all the marines are smashed in to tiny pieces and new ones are brought in at the base. The old marines are killed to keep them from feeling jealous of the new ones that are there because the old marines just were not cutting it.

I usually beacon 3-4 times at the start of the game to make sure I have the best of the best. For some reason though, the 4th or 5th set of marines think they are good enough they don't need me as a commander and often kick me out and assume command.
                              lol ( I really did laugh), :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X