3.2 Structure Blocking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.2 Structure Blocking

In order to continue this discussion, it was to be ported to another thread, so here we are.

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller
    Speaking of strategy, I would like to officially propose an amendment to the server rules to completely outlaw structure blocking. The reason for this is due to a game on origin just a few minutes ago when a hive siege was set up in ore extraction for furnace. the doorway connecting ore extraction and furnace was blocked by two armories, which barely allowed skulks to fit through and completely nullified any chance for a fade defense (they had 2-3 shotgunners positioned behind the armories blowing away anything that tried to get through and everyone knows that it takes at least 5-7 seconds with full blink to go the long way around through ore scanner, and even more as a skulk). As a result, at least 3 people from the alien team quit the server (call it rage-quitting if you wish, but thats an extremely cheap tactic).

Now, its been universally said that aliens are less favored in 3.2. We know this. And in that diminished capacity, old strategies which were iffy at best, such as this, should be removed as they do nullify an alien defense. The goal is to have fair gameplay where skill and teamwork dictate the outcome of a game, not utilizing map faults to semi-exploit your way to a win. Just my two cents.

Seconded, I was there for that specific game, where two partially built armories were dropped in the doorway of Ore Extraction. This made it nearly impossible for a fade to blink in and out easily. I think that this sort of tactic is not within the "spirit" of the TG playstyle. I propose that structures should not be dropped unless it is the commanders intention to have them completely built, and not just partially built for blocking/cheap recycling purposes.
    Last edited by Tempest; 12-27-2006, 02:08 AM. Reason: Clarity
    Rm 14:2 NIV
    One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

Re: 3.2 Structure Blocking

This isn't a thread about 3.2 vent blocking, right? It's a thread about Ore Extraction. One (arguably deficient) room on one map.

I like the rule the way it is. I'm all for being persuaded, but I'd need to be convinced that the current rule isn't sufficient. Gameplay certainly hasn't convinced me of such.
    Originally posted by The Rules
    Additionally, building in a way that completely blocks off a doorway or vent is not allowed.
    If a skulk can get in the room, I see no need for administrative intervention.

If Ore Extraction is so dominated by allowing marines (and their walls) entry to the room, don't allow marines entry to the room. If that means you have to shift your alien strategy as more and more marines learn how powerful walls are in that room specifically, so be it.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I have noticed several other really bad chokepoints being exploited similarly in my playtime on other servers. Many of us play exclusively at TG, however, when it's 4:00 am and nobody is on, some of us addicts branch out to other servers for a bit of ownage.

Over the next couple days I'll compile my list of bad spots and chokepoints im frequently seeing exploted in this way. However, since most of us disagree with the tactic anyway, I'll ask those of you who would use it to please see this as a negative post and refrain from capitalizing on the information i'll be giving. I know it's not really a logical request, but its about honor and intent, something all of us here have in mass quantities.

Comment

sorry for trolling, but is there more then 1 Tempest on TG now? I saw Tempest today and he did not reply via text or voice today, not say he did not work as team.

Comment

My in game handle is presently Vegan Onos[Tempest] (since half of nano moved to SD). This imposter Tempest bears a ?, and has yet to respond to me either. He's never stayed around long enough to incur a gb. Heh, I've actually come across a Vegetarian Onos as well on our server as of late. Not all of us are blessed with delightfully obscure names like "Turbinator" :row__593: .

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
          If a skulk can get in the room, I see no need for administrative intervention.
          Fair enough. I don't make the rules, I just try to live by 'em.
          Rm 14:2 NIV
          One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempest View Post
            My in game handle is presently Vegan Onos[Tempest] (since half of nano moved to SD). This imposter Tempest bears a ?, and has yet to respond to me either. He's never stayed around long enough to incur a gb. Heh, I've actually come across a Vegetarian Onos as well on our server as of late. Not all of us are blessed with delightfully obscure names like "Turbinator" :row__593: .

Fair enough. I don't make the rules, I just try to live by 'em.
            good to hear :D

Comment

I also see nothing wrong with this. Those two armories cost 30 res, which is not an insignificant amount unless you've allowed the marines to hold too much res. They also most likely were not built for very long so could easily be destroyed by bile bomb(unless you allowed the marines to kill/prevent your second hive) or just a skulk or two. You also must have allowed them a decent amount of setup time for them to get all that together. Basically this strategy seems like something that requires a considerable marine advantage to use effectively. Somebody just came up with a clever way to leverage it. Though you could also say that those armories provide free cover for skulks to approach the shotties.

Comment

Just to add a little info. As fade you can still pass by that door way with a building placed in the center of it, you need to duck blink over the building.

Ore Extraction is one of the easiest sieges spots in the game for marines.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X