Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NS models rendered in Source (not dev work, just community playtime)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS models rendered in Source (not dev work, just community playtime)

http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/...howtopic=99015

I've always hated to see performance drop just so we can have prettier pictures, but DAMN.... those screenshots look NICE.

I've always hoped that NS2 performs as well as NS does, but I hope we have some nice eye candy, too.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: NS models rendered in Source (not dev work, just community playtime)

Wow that's hot.

Really loving the shadows too, even source engine shadows. I'm sure NS2 will look good if they use the shadow mapping that's coming with ep2.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Hoooooly crap. The first time I saw a fade I almost wet myself and I've been trying to kill them ever since, but have never again been caught in fear by one. This picture, however, is like death staring you down.
      NS2 is gonna be sick.

Comment

The thing I see here is... if that's going to be an upcoming map for NS2/Source, what is the point in upgrading? It'll look pretty, but we've done the half-million spaceship maps! Show us something new!

Comment

I don't understand your question. The maps will largely be similar (but not at all identical), I'm guessing, in structure and design, but what roams within and among them will be sufficiently different to justify experiencing it after years of playing NS?
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

You can be sure I will make a return to NS once part 2 rolls out. Hopefully I can afford a new rig sometime in 2007 though so i can actually play it once it's out :). As much as I like pretty things, I hope they end up pouring their time and talent into innovating rather then making it all look pretty.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Have the devs yet commented on outside/indoor gameplay?
              remi.D

Comment

I dont think those marine models are Source, because I've seen Source human models in CS or DOD, and those are better.
                I understand this is early work and all, but all I am saying is that they were not rendered in Source(sauce :D) to make them look better.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbinator View Post
                  I dont think those marine models are Source, because I've seen Source human models in CS or DOD, and those are better.
                  I understand this is early work and all, but all I am saying is that they were not rendered in Source(sauce :D) to make them look better.
                  From the looks of it, they just ported the existing skins into source. The environmental effects are source, I guess the textures/skins aren't.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

My jaw literally dropped when I saw this.

Comment

As I understand it, Source allows you to use higher detailed textures, but no one has actually created those higher detailed textures for NS lifeforms yet. Source also allows you to take your existing low detail textures and do cool things with lighting and environmental effects, and thats what we're seeing here. Same low-poly models (low by comparison to HL2 models, not HL1 models, of course), brand new effects.

So then you have to think, if Source can make NS look this good using the same old low-res textures and models, how awesome will it look once we get new higher detail models created? :D

Comment

Originally posted by Polska View Post
                        From the looks of it, they just ported the existing skins into source. The environmental effects are source, I guess the textures/skins aren't.
                        Exactly, this isn't the work of anyone currently working on NS2, just some NS community members playing with putting the NS1 models into Source.

Comment

Whoa, nice pictures even if they are the HL1 models for it, haha if the game looks half as good as the old ones i think it will do great.

Comment

Originally posted by Satertek View Post
                            Exactly, this isn't the work of anyone currently working on NS2, just some NS community members playing with putting the NS1 models into Source.
                            Yeah I guess title of the thread threw me off :).

Comment

Now i know in both HL1 and HL2 you can get bloodspray on walls and such. I wonder if they can incorporate that into dynamic models, so when a fade swipes at people, he gets blood on his claws, or a skulk blood on his teeth/face. That would be fanfreakingtastic.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X