Support TG in the New Year!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support TG in the New Year!

Ladies and Gents, first and foremost, Happy New Year to the whole community! 2006 has been a bumpy ride in the real world and the NS world alike, but we've all stood by and eeked through. *skip to the bullets at the bottom if you're too lazy to read the rant.*

Now however, we're faced with a bit of a bind. On the server yesterday, Wyz informed us that we simply dont have enough SM's to support running both the 3.1 and 3.2 servers. For those of you that dont know the whole situation, the 3.2 server is sharing resources with other TG titles, which is whats helping to cause our lag. Theres simply not enough money coming in to put it on its own box.

So, you say, lets just port 3.2 over in full and get rid of the 3.1 server! Well, unfortunately, 3.2 isnt ready for that yet.

Wyz made a very good point yesterday when talking to us about it. 3.1 has all of our beloved plugins that give us the experience we like, such as reserved slots for people who are registered with enough points, icons, taglines, CO plugins, etc. All of these plugins rely on AMXX, the admin system we use. 3.2b1 seems to support the majority of them well, but the fear is that 3.2b2 is going to break AMXX and all of a sudden we'll have a completely vanilla server (read: no plugins, no admin, no voted map changes, nothing) and it wont improve until the AMXX community gets around to fixing it.

Bottom line is, we need the 3.1 server to fall back on for the moment in case that happens, but we cant afford to keep em both running.

So how do we fix it? More SM's of course! Now I understand that lots of us are college students or dont have a really high income. But do the math for yourselves and see if you can manage the extra 9 bucks a month to help out. Thats right guys, SM is only 8.95 a month. It's cheap. TG takes paypal. Theres lots of ways to do it and for the guys who work so hard to keep this place going like Poker, Korm, Wyz, Apophis, etc, it helps out a lot. Just be glad these guys dont want to be paid by the hour or we wouldnt have a server at all. They do all the work they do out of the goodness of their hearts because they love TG.

For those of you too lazy to read, heres the sum-up:

-3.2 isnt ready for a full port because beta 2 might break AMXX.
    -if AMXX is broken we dont have any plugins OR admin OR reserved slots.
    -currently the 3.2 server shares space with other TG titles.
    -we dont have enough money from SMs to keep em both going.
    -SM is only 8.95 a month! CHEAP!
    -with SM you get a cool little icon, a permanent tagline, a no-questionmarks-needed reserved slot (on all TG titles, not just NS), special forum stuff, temp admin on the server, and you never have to use points for bots or extraupgrades again!

So if you guys can find a way to squeeze out an extra 9 bucks a month to help out, remember that it's not just for the nifty things you get in return. It helps the whole community. It keeps the forums working and the website active. It gets rid of the lag on the server so that everyone can have a great gaming experience and we'll continue to see new faces. Plus, if you're reading this, you're a regular here anyway and you love the place, you know you do. So if you have the means, help TG out, help yourself and your online rine-chomping-alien-shooting buddies to play lag free!

Other than that, Like I said, Happy New Year to all of you. Be safe and have fun.

-Ferris, out.

Re: Support TG in the New Year!

What Ferris says is true. The admins are discussing solutions, but every one of them involves us having to compromise on something because we can't buy more resources from Apophis. We don't have the SM capital with which titles acquire TG resources.

We don't have as many SMs today as we should (in my opinion), and our SM counts from recent months provide no forecast for growth among the NS SM base. That combination means no additional TG resource consumption, be it immediately for hosting 3.2 *alone* on another TG box (more reliable than the CE server) or long-term for concurrently hosting multiple TGNS servers in the future. In short, we can comfortably afford one *weak* box (TGNS proper), but that's it. That's not enough to comfortably *survive* today (when we want 3.2 and 3.1 concurrently), and it's not enough to comfortably *grow* in the future (if we ever hope to run multiple 3.x servers).

Next time we find the need to run two servers (for whatever reason), I *really* don't want to have to deal with these administrative headaches, and I don't want NS to be seen as creating burden for our community. Our 3.2 instance is a "guest" of our CE server that has overstayed its welcome.

Without more solid, month-to-month (even if subscribed annually -- that's fine), recurring SM subscriptions by folks who are known as NS regulars, I *will* have to deal with these headaches again.

By my own personal design, I don't bug you guys about this crap often, but now is the time to buck up. I could go on and on and on about it, but I won't.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

=/

Troublesome

It's a good deal. My thoughts are, as long as I can afford it, I support. I don't necessarily play either. The thought that Someone else will always pay for it, though, is not a healthy assumption.

Happy New Years folks!
      RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Lookout! New Supporting Member coming through!
        Someone roll out the red carpet!

p.s. What does 'fn' and 'bka' do in the server?
        remi.D

Comment

Thank you, remedy. I'm sitting here staring at a broken NWN2 server instance that's destroying the CPU on the borrowed box hosting our 3.2 server, and it's frustrating to see that there's no solution. Your stepping up helps lessen that frustration, frankly, even if just a bit.

'fn' displays a registered player's forum name to temp admins. This does not function correctly on the 3.2 server, but it will again be available when we're no longer hosted on the CE server.

'bka' is a tool for full admins. I didn't realize it was available to others, and I have corrected that.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I was wondering why the 3.2 server was so unbelievably dead [s]this morning[/s] today. :P
            remi.D

Comment

New Years Day=Hangover. Nuff Said.

Comment

Mainly out of curiosity, what are the server specs TG uses for NS?

As far as support, extra money is almost nonexistant for us while the wife is in school. But tax return time is coming up soon...
                aka Roland tHTG

Comment

I'd defer to Apophis for discussing server specs.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                    I'm sitting here staring at a broken NWN2 server instance that's destroying the CPU on the borrowed box hosting our 3.2 server, and it's frustrating to see that there's no solution.
                    It seems to be happening again today.
                    remi.D

Comment

Yeah. It's bad.

Poker's asked me to make 3.2 happen on TGNS. I've just got to find the time.

Comment

The current NS server isn't that hot and is next on the slate for a major upgrade. I just need to get with Poker and finalize the specs and then order the new box. Whatever it ends up being, it should be adequate to run two NS servers of whatever variety needed by the NS Game Officer.

The C&E server was not intended to run a populated 24/7 server. In fact, there are numerous demands on the C&E server from private practices, special event games, and even off-the-wall games requested by our supporting members on particular days that they want to screw around with. It's definitely not the place to run a public 24/7 NS server with any sort of stability.
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Now, you guys pay attention. I'll tell you how this has worked in the past.

Apophis is eager to stand up new and improved servers, because he's eager to meet the community needs. He hasn't a crystal ball, though. Yes, he works to only stand up servers that we can afford and sustain, but he's also just as quick (well, not as quick, actually -- but quick enough) to take down servers that we can neither afford nor sustain.

And it's fun to talk about new and improved servers, but it's not fun to talk about taking servers offline. Just as he hasn't come here for opinions when announcing an upgrade, he doesn't come here looking for opinions when it's time to take a server offline.

We don't talk about money often, but Money Talks.

What am I driving at? I'm saying... ok.. we're talking about new server this and two servers that, but if we don't bolster our SM count for NS, we're just as likely in X number of months to suddenly find ourselves with only one server, which might be weaker than what we'd enjoyed in the meantime, and it's not out of the question that we might suddenly be reminiscing about the "good ol' days", when TG hosted an NS server at all.

What the hell do I know? I'm just saying. Food for thought.

Comment

So, do we have like a headcount of how many NS SMs we have? I've never been entirely sure of whether the TG NS server is a source of income or on the brink of extinction. As you said, you don't talk about money very often, but when you do its usually in a vaguely-doom-and-apocalypse kind of way.

Comment

To speculate (knowledgeably or not) is pretty futile, when you think about it. That sort of stuff needs to come straight from Apo, or it's pretty meaningless.

At the same time that being able to offer information like that would be nice when someone is asking people for money, I also observe that giving money in response to just about any answer to that question is not the ideal motivation for giving money to begin with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X