This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGNS Server Two

First, many many thanks to the Supporting Members who make it possible for me to deliver great news like this.

As previously reported on the front page, Natural Selection at Tactical gamer got a shot in the arm with box whose badness is in the Bad-Bad-Leroy-Brown range. We are now proud to announce that we're taking this screamer of a machine and putting it to the test by opening up a second TGNS server.

Users can connect to the game on 74.52.157.235:27015.
    Spectators can view live HLTV on 74.52.157.235:27020.

With this comes a revamp in user priorities (I will explain them in a post below), but with 16 additional slots for gaming, there's plenty of goodness to go around.

As always, with any new endeavor we undertake, we encourage the users to report glitches they're finding (identify the map, approximate time, and server IP) so we can squash them as quickly as possible.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Re: TGNS Server Two

OK, so to make this happen correctly, a number of changes to the user system have taken place.
    • First, no more points. A moment of silence... and we continue.
    • Taglines are SM-only. Existing taglines purchased with points are grandfathered in.
    • gb becomes a command open to all SMs.
    • Bots are free to all players who have both registered properly on the forum and have read and agreed to the principles of the TGNS Primer and its linked ruleset.
    • Only SMs are able to force join. They may do so on either server.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to contact me or any admin, and we'll do our best to answer.
    [volun2]
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

figures, as soon as i get like 4800 points the force join goes away, lol.

Awesome news though! Hopefully it won't end up with one server full of regs trying to join and the other mostly empty.

Comment

Amazing news Pokerface. Thanks!

There has been debate and casual talk about this, and I'm glad that it came true. Tactical Gamer's NS server has been a hot spot for the Natural Selection community for years now. It's about time we double the capacity! Will connecting members from server one be forwarded to two before going to HLTV if they are not a supporting member?
        birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Originally posted by ImAWuss View Post
          Amazing news Pokerface. Thanks!

There has been debate and casual talk about this, and I'm glad that it came true. Tactical Gamer's NS server has been a hot spot for the Natural Selection community for years now. It's about time we double the capacity! Will connecting members from server one be forwarded to two before going to HLTV if they are not a supporting member?
          No. Connects need to happen for each server.
          [volun2]

Comment

For those interested:

While a 12+ player game was happening on Server 1, we had 5 people and 23-ish bots on server 2. The CPU never broke 55&#37;.

MMmmmmmmmmmmmm delicious.
            [volun2]

Comment

I have to say that I don't approve of the limitation of the gb command to supporting members. This isn't something that should be used as a perk - it's necessary to be able to maintain order on the server when there aren't any SMs present(which is when it needs it most, seeing as there are no temp admins). Like it or not, this situation does come up frequently in off-peak times. If there are no points, maybe the gb command should be awarded to players who have been registered for a certain amount of time?

Also, are we going to be maintaining both these servers when 3.2 is final?

Comment

^- Yeah, for me exactly yesterday was the first time we all wanted to use GB to get rid of a guy called "NSPlayerghghg" or something like that. He was cursing, not helping his team, and insulting everyone who killed him. His team had to tolerate him since no one could kick him.

And I don't really see the point of having regged's and unregged's anymore since we all have the same priorities now.

Comment

The servers are clones and will remain such when 3.2 is final.

You know we won't let gameplay just fall out from underneath itself. We'll create some sort of solution for the problem of strangers consuming the space en masse.

At the moment, we've had our first upgrade in two and a half years, and that jazz ain't cheap, and we're shaking things up a bit to make sure our next upgrade doesn't come so slowly, nevermind ensuring that we don't downgrade in the next 6 months.

Reg'd and unreg'd remain distinct. Reg'd players don't get bumped for slots unless and until all of the question marks are gone.
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                    Reg'd players don't get bumped for slots unless and until all of the question marks are gone.
                    All? No more 'protected' "?" slots?
                    Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Zek View Post
                      I have to say that I don't approve of the limitation of the gb command to supporting members. This isn't something that should be used as a perk - it's necessary to be able to maintain order on the server when there aren't any SMs present(which is when it needs it most, seeing as there are no temp admins). Like it or not, this situation does come up frequently in off-peak times. If there are no points, maybe the gb command should be awarded to players who have been registered for a certain amount of time?

Also, are we going to be maintaining both these servers when 3.2 is final?
                      Don't look at gb as a perk, then. Look at it as gaining a new way to control the server that you help keep alive. It's a catch-22: we're no good without the regulars that help make us good, but we're nothing at all without someone paying to keep the lights on. I picked the latter for the time being.

Originally posted by lagarto View Post
                      ^- Yeah, for me exactly yesterday was the first time we all wanted to use GB to get rid of a guy called "NSPlayerghghg" or something like that. He was cursing, not helping his team, and insulting everyone who killed him. His team had to tolerate him since no one could kick him.

And I don't really see the point of having regged's and unregged's anymore since we all have the same priorities now.
                      PMing an admin with a player report is still a fully viable solution. As this post is the first I'm seeing of this...

Just because you (the non-SM regular) don't have immediate on-server administrative ability at your disposal doesn't mean that you're hamstrung, nor does it mean that a player who ruins a game one night needs to come back in future nights. PM an admin. Name names, name maps, name times.
                      [volun2]

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid View Post
                        All? No more 'protected' "?" slots?
                        Correct. All question marks must be bumped by reserved slots before registered players will be bumped.

Unregistered players were never protected from Supporting Members joining the game, only from registered players joining the game.

In the past, registered players weren't able to join when only 3 unregistered players remained, but a Supporting Member joining would still cause the unregistered players to be removed before any registered player got bumped. The same stays true today.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I have to agree with lagarto on this. The GB command is the only thing that keeps the server decent while admin aren't present.

Once the immature crowd figures out that we can't remove them without an admin present, it will be a matter of a time before we lose control of the server like we have in the past.

I can remember very faintly last year, before gb was added, and all the problems we had with non-reg's.

We need something to be able to control the server's population. The reason we (the reg's) tolerate the non-reg's at this point is because we need a higher volume of reg's so we assume that we can mold these recruits, if you will, into a regular status. 9 out of 10 times, the molding is done by reg's rather than SM's due to the gb command. Now that we've lost it, the only molding that can be done is in prime time games where there aren't a lot of non-reg's on anyway.

-Mom
                          Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
                            Just because you (the non-SM regular) don't have immediate on-server administrative ability at your disposal doesn't mean that you're hamstrung
                            And that is not by chance, but by design. If we have to tweak that now-changed design to clean up any persisting gameplay messes it causes, you know we will. We have several options as admins to solve these (your) problems.

Time will reveal the details, but immediate should be the confidence that we'll manage it well enough in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Zek View Post
                              I have to say that I don't approve of the limitation of the gb command to supporting members. This isn't something that should be used as a perk - it's necessary to be able to maintain order on the server when there aren't any SMs present(which is when it needs it most, seeing as there are no temp admins).
                              Like it or not, this situation does come up frequently in off-peak times. If there are no points, maybe the gb command should be awarded to players who have been registered for a certain amount of time?
                              Or those that have been around @TGNS for ages(not implying anything), and admins feel that those individuals are up to the task.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X