amx_demo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amx_demo

I really hate playing an awesome game and be left thinking: "Man, I wish I had a demo of THAT game."

This plugin's purpose is to issue the 'record' and 'stop' commands on your client when a round begins and ends. The plugin will save the demo to a file whose name is indicative of the time/map of the round. For example, one of the rounds I played on ns_caged last night has the filename '20040504232206-ns_caged.dem' because it was played on 05/04/2004 (20040504) and started at 11:22:06 PM (232206) on ns_caged. Times are based on the timezone of the server (our server is in Rhode Island and therefore is in the EST timezone).

You are in total control of whether or not the plugin issues the record/stop commands on your client. This plugin will not record demos of games without your permission. The demo itself is different from no other, all that's different is that the server is automating the commands (and the name of the demo - see above) instead of your typing them in. All demos are stored on your machine, not on the server.

If you wish, the plugin will also automate the turning on and off of voice_loopback, which allows your demo to capture your voice when you speak. Yes, you'll hear your voice when you speak, which can take some getting used to, but it's the only way for HL to record your voice, which can nicely round out what the viewer of the demo later hears when it comes to team voicecomms.

Also, the plugin can be used to manually start and stop demos. You can use it to manually stop an automatically-started demo. Or you can use it to simply manually start and then manually stop a demo (for instance, if you DON'T have it configured to automatically record rounds you play). In this case, the only real advantage to using the plugin instead of simply using the record/stop commands is that the plugin will create a time/map filename for the demo automatically (see above). Also, these manual commands could be helpful if the plugin ever does something you didn't want it to do (after all, it IS beta). Also, as a last resort, you can always stop a demo that has started by using the 'stop' HL console command (this should never be necessary, but that's what "beta" means....).

If you have the plugin enabled for yourself, it will, when a round ends, automatically end a demo that you started manually. This happens only if you enter a round after it begins, in which case you manually start the demo (perhaps with a bind like "jointeamone;wait;amx_demo start").

Here is what you'll see when you type 'amx_demo' in the console for the first time:

Code:
    ======================================
    AMX Auto Demo (a very, very beta plugin)
    : The 'amx_demo' command manages the automatic recording of NS rounds.
    -------------
    Commands:
    help/? - display this message
    on     - enable automatic 'record' command at round start
    off    - enable automatic 'stop' command at round end
    vlyes  - enable voice loopback during demo recordings
    vlno   - do not enable voice loopback during demo recordings
    start  - manually start recording a demo
    stop   - manually stop recording a demo
    -------------
    	Currently recording: <none>
    	Auto recording     : off
    	Auto voice_loopback: not enabled
    If you type 'amx_demo on' in your console, it will enable automatic demo recordings (which will begin with the following round). If you type 'amx_demo off' in your console, it will disable automatic demo recordings. You get the idea. The same goes for voice_loopback. 'amx_demo vlyes' causes the plugin to set voice_loopback to '1' during recordings (and voice_loopback to '0' when the recording finishes), 'amx_demo vlno' causes the plugin to never change how you have voice_loopback set.

By default, the plugin does nothing. Every player wishing to use it must execute 'amx_demo on' at the very least, and 'amx_demo vlyes' if they want voice_loopback managed. If you issue no commands, you'll never even know the plugin is there. No demos will be recorded. Any player for whom a demo is being automated is notified when the recording begins and ends, including the name of the file to which the demo was saved.

An example of my 'amx_demo' output while I was recording the ns_caged demo from last night, without voice_loopback being managed:

Code:
    AMX Auto Demo (a very, very beta plugin)
    : The 'amx_demo' command manages the automatic recording of NS rounds.
    -------------
    Commands:
    help/? - display this message
    on     - enable automatic 'record' command at round start
    off    - enable automatic 'stop' command at round end
    vlyes  - enable voice loopback during demo recordings
    vlno   - do not enable voice loopback during demo recordings
    start  - manually start recording a demo
    stop   - manually stop recording a demo
    -------------
    	Currently recording: 20040504232206-ns_caged.dem
    	Auto recording     : on
    	Auto voice_loopback: not enabled
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: amx_demo

If you plan on using this, be sure to closely monitor the amount of free disk space you have remaining.

Based on very limited testing, demos stored about 4MB of information per minute of gameplay. That means that, if you have 20GB of free space on your harddrive, you can go play ~5 hrs/day for a little over two weeks before you have to worry about cleaning up the demo files.

Also, demo recording may or may not cause graphics lag (it does not on my machine, and I'm using a damaged GeForce2).
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 05-05-2004, 12:03 PM.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Members with taglines:

If you plan on using this, and it doesn't seem to be operating correctly, I'd recommend setting your tagline to something VERY short ( maybe even 'amx_tagline ---' (simply three dashes) ). I'm using a client-side feature for information storage in both the tagline and demo plugins, and I've learned that there's only a limited amount of data that can be stored in this way. It's possible (and, frankly... likely) that a lengthy tagline will cause this demo plugin to fail to act as it should.

I'll likely fix this in the future, but not right away.

Comment

Obviously, someone using this is going to create 10 (or 100) demos they DON'T want for every ONE demo they DO want. The idea is that you regularly and manually (outside of HL) delete the demo files you don't want, keeping only the few of those games you really want to save and/or share.

Comment

Having a demo of an epic game from the perspectives of several different players on both teams might allow someone very skilled in video editing to make some rather entertaining AVIs that showcase the teamwork and coordination that is often difficult to find on other servers.

edit: this, of course, would require several players recording a demo of the game. When you record a demo, it only captures the data you see, of course... not the data others are seeing.

Comment

So Wyz is getting the "responding to your own post" award for today. :icon25:

wtf am I saying? He gets if for the next 10 years. :D

I must say that this is a plugin I will never use (I've never liked messing with demos and it lags my machine (even tho I have a "better" box that Wyz's in every way..?)). But nonetheless, nice job on a usefull plugin, albeit a niche one. :) :icon32:
            --
            CaveDog
            "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Comment

I would use this...There have been some games I have played, that I wish I had a demo for...Not sure about recording my own voice!

Comment

Good, now I can get evidence of when Tycho shoots me in the back to steal my Grenade Lanucher.

Comment

I request feedback about this plugin's operation from those who use it right away, including reports of it operating as it's supposed to. This will likely be the first NS plugin I release.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                    Good, now I can get evidence of when Tycho shoots me in the back to steal my Grenade Lanucher.
                    Just let me tell you right now. That was awesome. I walked up behind you under the guise of 'ooh ill weld you', then BLAM shotgun to the back. 'Yoinks' i cried as I hefted my new grenade launcher.

Though I still think that me knifing you so that the knockback sent you down the stairwell in vent hive was better. You were so low on health that I knew the fall would get ya. *pats his slightly used grenade launcher*

Comment

You filthy bastard.

Although, those were a bunch of hilarious games last night. I particularly enjoyed the game where Wyz handed out JPs and GLs to everyone and we wasted viaduct hive than flew up to the top rungs of Power Silo.

While I'm grenading the hive, Turbinator flies up to get a few rounds in and disappears under a cloud of black smoke only to die from the subsequent blasts.

I will do everything I can to only use grenade launchers from now on. There is no more satisfying of a weapon. Especially when all your teammates are screaming at you over voice com to "WATCH THE FRIENDLY FIRE FENIX!"

TS, you shouldn't have been standing there.

Edit: Just to keep this on topic, I will test this script tonight and see if I can get a few good demos recorded and compressed for uploading.

Comment

What we do for Jedi Academy is to record a demo, then play the demo while running Fraps recorder. That give us a playable .avi that we can then compress.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                          Members with taglines:

If you plan on using this, and it doesn't seem to be operating correctly, I'd recommend setting your tagline to something VERY short ( maybe even 'amx_tagline ---' (simply three dashes) ). I'm using a client-side feature for information storage in both the tagline and demo plugins, and I've learned that there's only a limited amount of data that can be stored in this way. It's possible (and, frankly... likely) that a lengthy tagline will cause this demo plugin to fail to act as it should.

I'll likely fix this in the future, but not right away.
                          I've made changes to the tagline and demo plugins to help them co-exist. As of this post's timestamp, you'll have to recreate your taglines (everyone) and re-configure whatever settings you had configured with the demo plugin.

Comment

I discovered a bug with the demo plugin. It was displaying demo filenames incorrectly. To be specific, it was showing playerA the filename of playerB's demo. The plugin will no longer display the name of the demo, which kinda sucks. But to preserve this would require a level of complexity greater than I want to support in the code. The filenames, though undisplayed, will remain as they're described above (based on time and map), so it won't be that hard to figure out which of the 60+MB ns_nancy files from last night is the one you're really interested in. It's a minor change with minimal user impact, I think.

Comment

I use DemoMaster to play back HL demos (tried googling for a website but couldn't find anything. hmmm). I've also heard good things about GeekPlay (again couldn't find anything). Steam might do better than the old system for playing demos back in a managable way.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X