Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gb revamp

What is 'gb'?
    'gb' is a console command which allows one registered player per team to remove unregistered players who continue to violate server rules despite being warned. Any use of the command must cite a documented server rule, and the command must always be used professionally and respectfully. Users of the command keep the server great, while abuse of the command can remove its user from the server.

Why should I opt-in to 'gb'? How do I do that?
    To opt-in to 'gb', issue the 'sharegb' console command. Read and follow the directions you're shown.

The communal motivation for doing so is that the server dies without rules enforcement. Not "sucks", but "dies". Your friends will leave, and you will flat-out lose your favored server. So, looking at the big picture server, your use of 'gb' helps the server survive and thrive.

The personal motivation is that all players who opt-in to 'gb' and its responsibilities become last targetted (among non-SMs, registered or not; SMs are never bumped, by anyone) by the slot reservation code when it bumps a player to make room on the full server for an incoming Supporting Member (SM).

If our rules ever change sufficiently such that the administration thinks old 'gb' opt-ins have become obsolete, opt-ins can be cleared en masse, forcing everyone to review the new rules and opt-in again.

Can I opt-out later? How do I do that?
    You can opt-out at any time using the 'dropgb' console command.

Ok. I'm opted-in. How do I use the 'gb' command?
    'gb' is a console command with a certain syntax, shown below. First, though, you need to understand that 'gb' access is SHARED among the regulars on the server. Only one opted-in, registered player per team (SM or not) will have 'gb' access at a time. The player with 'gb' access will have a gray icon next to his name on the scoreboard.

The syntax (from the console) is as follows:

gb <player> "<rules violation>"

<player> must be a partial (enough to uniquely identify the player) or exact match of the name of an unregistered player (question mark next to his name on the scoreboard). If you can't match his name, use his playerid. Type 'status' in your console to view a player's playerid. It's the number between his name and his SteamID (it will change per connection). If you use his playerid instead of his name (in the 'gb' command), preface it with a pound sign (#).

Always use quotes for the reason:
    gb carlin "Language."
    gb Wyz "No communication."
    gb #572 "Disrespect."

Using a playerid (instead of his name) is useful for players with names that are difficult to spell, or that contain special characters.

You can be terse when specifying the reason, if it helps, but never be rude or immature. Represent our community as professionally as you can, despite how the other guy may be acting. "Showing off" with 'gb' is a good way to lose access to it, as is threatening use of 'gb'.

Don't threaten people with this. Warn them and then remove them. No drama. Just remove the problem, ideally as transparently (to others) as possible. This helps players focus on the game, not the removal.

Do 'gb' holders (gray icons) have to act?
    If they find the behavior of the player you're complaining about acceptable, then, like any admin, no, they don't.

Otherwise, yes, 'gb' holders, all of whom have opted-in to the responsibility, are expected to proactively put the needs of the server first (before even their own, if need be) when the situation calls for it (which can be often).

What if I disagree with what a 'gb' holder did (or didn't do)?
    Report him to a full admin, privately, with a forums PM, just like you would any player whose conduct you find unacceptable.

If I'm holding 'gb' (gray icon), and I don't want it right now, but I don't want to opt-out entirely, what can I do?
    Use the 'passgb' (console) command:

passgb <player>

Only registered players (SM or not) who have opted-in for 'gb' access are eligible targets of the 'passgb' command. Admins and temp admins are not eligible.

If you're not sure who has opted-in, ask around! And thank those who have!

If you can't find anyone to pass it to.... you're on duty.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Re: gb revamp

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
    If [you're] holding 'gb' (gray icon), .... you're on duty.
    This is a significant change. Temp admins (SM only; green icon) never have to act. Their abilities remain optional. Nothing changes for temp admins.

With this new change, 'gb' holders (any registered player; gray icon) must act on a request they think is valid. This is how non-SMs contribute to the server.

Please do not share the opt-in command too quickly with other players on the server. Direct them to the forums to educate themselves. The last thing we want is a bunch of opted-in players who don't know how to use 'gb' responsibly. The admins want to hear (privately; forum PM) about players who have opted-in irresponsibly.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Noteworthy:

* no, 'gb' holders cannot see admin chat.

* understand that registered players who choose not to opt-in to share the 'gb' burden are just as vulnerable to being bumped as are unregistered players when a Supporting Member joins the full server. To enjoy the bump "preference", you need not have 'gb' access at that moment (gray icon), but you merely need only to have opted-in at all. Opt-ins are persisted across both servers (you only have to opt-in on either server). You don't have to opt-in per map.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'm quite happy with the solution. I believe it combines the best of the previous answer and what we should have been doing all along. Now people cant just sit complacent and say "well, i'm reg'd so i wont get bumped" nor will they be able to say "someone else will take care of the problem". Reward comes with responsibility. The reward is threefold: the ability to use gb, the safety from being slotted, and the nicety of having a smooth running server. The responsibility is obvious: sign up and you accept the charge of protecting the place you love. Easy as pie.
        Speaking of pie...im still missing a pot pie. :/

Comment

So...reg'd players are now just as likely to be kicked as unreg'd players? Or is it only when a gb holder is on the server?

Also, does the reason for the kick show up for the kicked player?

Comment

Despite the name, slotkick doesnt actually "kick" you. Therefore, no kick message. As far as I know it just forces your client to start connecting to the HLTV server. If you make it on there successfully then you get a standard HLTV message which mentions you were either slotkicked or idlekicked, although I've known some people who never make it here successfully and get rather confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
              Despite the name, slotkick doesnt actually "kick" you.
              This is one of the reasons why I so often use the verb "bump" for this. "Kicking" is what happens when you break the rules. "Bumping" is what happens when you're the victim of reserved slots.

Originally posted by adulus View Post
              reg'd players are now just as likely to be kicked as unreg'd players?
              The second paragraph below holds your answer. If you opt-in, you enjoy the protection all registered players used to enjoy, whether you have the gray icon at the moment or not, and you're on-duty whenever you have the gray icon.
              Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
              Any use of the command must cite a documented server rule, and the command must always be used professionally and respectfully...

...all players who opt-in to 'gb' and its responsibilities become last targetted (among non-SMs, registered or not; SMs are never bumped, by anyone) by the slot reservation code when it bumps a player to make room on the full server for an incoming Supporting Member (SM).

The player with 'gb' access will have a gray icon next to his name on the scoreboard.

Always use quotes for the reason...

'gb' holders, all of whom have opted-in to the responsibility, are expected to proactively put the needs of the server first[/b] (before even their own, if need be) when the situation calls for it (which can be often).

Comment

Ok, so if there is unreg'd(Yes, I'm lazy and won't type out unregistered) players on the server, they'll be bumped first. Then, if all the unreg'd players are gone, the reg'd players will be bumped. Finally, in the highly unlikely situation that 16 SM's show up on one server at one time, the 'opt-in's will be bumped. Correct?

Also, my other question was, if I use gb to kick someone, does the reason show up for them?

Comment

Ok, so if there is unreg'd(Yes, I'm lazy and won't type out unregistered) players on the server, they'll be bumped first. Then, if all the unreg'd players are gone, the reg'd players will be bumped. Finally, in the highly unlikely situation that 16 SM's show up on one server at one time, the 'opt-in's will be bumped. Correct?
                  Not quite. Registered players who have not opted in are equally likely to get bumped as unregistered players, in order of least time on the server. Opt-ins are the only non-sm's who receive any preferential treatment.

But remember, opt-in comes with responsibilities and is not just a way of securing a slot on the server. If you don't want those responsibilities you shouldn't opt-in and your status can be revoked at any time, should you abuse/misuse it.

Comment

No.

Bad rates players go first. Then ANY non-SM who has not opted-in for gb (and therefore have decided not to shoulder the burden of administration). Failing those two, opted-in non-SMs go.

Also, my other question was, if I use gb to kick someone, does the reason show up for them?
                    Yes.
                    [volun2]
                    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

I'll get in on this next friday.
                      LLJK-Domino in game

Comment

what if you limit it to 2 grey icons per team? its probably not absolutely necessary but it would be helpful for those times when plans change throughout the game(especially with the long games we're having) and its 6v8 and your only fade has the grey icon, and he cant even take the time to properly warn the other team because your hive is being seiged (let along actually gb the person) and with all the heavies if he is out of combat for any longer than it takes to heal the whole game goes down the pits.

I only bring this up because it happened, and we very nearly lost the game because of it. I was busy yelling at the other team to switch, but lacked any actual authority at the time to back myself up, and the gb holder on the marines didnt seem to care (and a q or two was telling us to stfu too, but that was even less important at the time). i didnt have much time to look at who the offending gb-er may have been, because i was busy fighting as hard as i freakin could to not lose(the only reason i had any time to type at all is because i was skulk and would die fairly often(skulk v heavies lol)).

now this is purely a suggestion, im sure as this setup breaks in more and becomes more familiar problems like these will be much less frequent, but i can't see any huge issue why only 1 person could have gb per team(i can see reasons why you could consider not needing more, but not actual reasons against having more), and figured i might as well voice up.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Stop|Beowulf View Post
                          what if you limit it to 2 grey icons per team? its probably not absolutely necessary but it would be helpful for those times when plans change throughout the game(especially with the long games we're having) and its 6v8 and your only fade has the grey icon, and he cant even take the time to properly warn the other team because your hive is being seiged (let along actually gb the person) and with all the heavies if he is out of combat for any longer than it takes to heal the whole game goes down the pits.

I only bring this up because it happened, and we very nearly lost the game because of it. I was busy yelling at the other team to switch, but lacked any actual authority at the time to back myself up, and the gb holder on the marines didnt seem to care (and a q or two was telling us to stfu too, but that was even less important at the time). i didnt have much time to look at who the offending gb-er may have been, because i was busy fighting as hard as i freakin could to not lose(the only reason i had any time to type at all is because i was skulk and would die fairly often(skulk v heavies lol)).

now this is purely a suggestion, im sure as this setup breaks in more and becomes more familiar problems like these will be much less frequent, but i can't see any huge issue why only 1 person could have gb per team(i can see reasons why you could consider not needing more, but not actual reasons against having more), and figured i might as well voice up.
                          If plans change and your fade has the gb icon, then the fade needs to stop what he's doing and fix the issue.

If you opt-in, you accept this responsibility. If you don't want it, that's fine, but then don't opt-in for it.
                          [volun2]

Comment

Yeah thats what I figured, which is fine, I think it'll just take a while for everyone to adapt. But like you said, I guess that's why you have to opt in.

Comment

Another command that you might want to keep in mind is passgb. If for whatever reason (ie you're going fade) and you think you might not be able to respond, it will passgb <playername> to another opted in player.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X