Names allowed in server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Names allowed in server

I was recently threatened with ban for having the name l23v3rs3dPl4gu3. I have had this name since the beginning of ns & I would like to use it in any server I play in. I did, however, cooperate and change my name for the remainder of my time in the server.

Is there actually a rule against having this name? It may seem an old/lame name, but I've grown used to it for the past years of playing this game.

Re: Names allowed in server

Im guessing its because no one knows what it says. Or could be considered "leet" talk, just guessing
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Is there actually a rule against having this name?
      The issue is that type of name impedes communication and teamwork because it makes it difficult for people to refer to you by name. Teamwork and communication are both requirements (rules) to play on our server. Actions that prevent effective communication are bannable offenses. This includes but is not limited to listening to music in game, having voice disabled, muting players, and having hard to read/unpronounceable names.
      Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by wrestlingrocks08 View Post
        I was recently threatened with ban for having the name l23v3rs3dPl4gu3. I have had this name since the beginning of ns & I would like to use it in any server I play in. I did, however, cooperate and change my name for the remainder of my time in the server.

Is there actually a rule against having this name? It may seem an old/lame name, but I've grown used to it for the past years of playing this game.
        Maybe we'll get used to it; I don't know. If you're keen on being known as that, might I suggest a more readable version? Go with "ReversePlague" for a bit until we know who you are and what to look for, maybe.

It's not the name itself that's a problem; it's everyone needing to take time out of the game to figure out what it says and what to call you. At first glance, it's a string of numbers and characters, and no more an appellation than 'flksdagh38rfsf" appearing on the scoreboard. It keeps your team from effectively communicating with you, and in NS, that's both a shame and a sin. And here, at TGNS, it can warrant administrative action (though in most cases -- your included, I'm happy to say -- a simple request for something more conducive to communication is all that ever happens).
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I'm afore mentioned threatener. Welcome to the TG community wrestlingrocks.

I'd be satisfied if you just put the english version after the leet speak in a square bracket. This is strictly about pronunciation. But maybe your name would be too long. Thoughts?

Comment

Or even just something that you can be refered to. Custom plays with a name that is 90% gibberish (model number or some such) followed by Custom, so everybody just called him that. I imagine it'd be sufficient to just put RP at the end of your name so people called you that.
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I like the name, once it's de-leetified...
              As everyone has said, your name is definitely acceptable if you just make it easier to read:

ReversePlauge

edit:

Since this thread has already served it's purpose I'd like to deviate a little and ask how you guys feel about names that are not really against any rules. For example, there is one unregistered member named "--noobs-below-line--". It irks me everytime I see it, but I don't know if that was me just being too easily offended. I think Wuss has asked him to change his name, but I was curious of everyone's feelings.
              remi.D

Comment

If you see a name, especially on a regular, that you think is disrespectful or unnecessarily provocative, proceed as you would with any player carrying himself in an inappropriate manner: send a forums private message about him to the admin of your choice.

Myself? I think a name like that does more harm than good, but I've always been very hard-ass about names, so I often let slide names that I would prefer changed. Some names I have changed myself. Others I leave alone unless other players complain about it.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

That was my feeling (that I might just too easily offended) which is why I took no action and instead just talked to Wuss and let him handle it. :)
                  remi.D

Comment

uhh.... [ starts to get nervous ]
                    Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Haha...
                      remi.D

Comment

Thanks for the response guys, I really like your server & I'll be glad to "de-leet" my name

:-d

With love,

<3ReversedPlague

Comment

Well I hope to see you on the server then.

Comment

Actually one thing that you can do to make it a lot easier for you to be noticed is register here at the forums.

When the server does a who-is for the players who have recently joined, it shows their forum names. I pay attention to this a lot, and actually who-is a lot of people I don't recognize just to see what their forum name is.

A lot of times you'll know people by their forum name, rather than their game name.

Just food for thought.

-Mom
                            Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Originally posted by Yer Mom View Post
                              I pay attention to this a lot, and actually who-is a lot of people I don't recognize just to see what their forum name is.
                              For the new guys:

console: whois <player>

Examples:

whois wyz
                              whois mom
                              whois plague
                              whois snake
                              whois #287
                              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X