Vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista

So I recently bought a new computer, which unfortunately came with vista. My question is, has anyone gotten NS to work in vista? I'm using an NVIDIA 7600GT, which at least displayed everything correctly in XP, but using this with the vista drivers results in too many display issues, with the result that I can't see anything on the scoreboard, and half my screen is just black when I try to comm. I don't need the icons for the building-specific menus, but this also means I can't check progress of upgrades, can't see what's under attack with squads, and can't tell if marines are requesting anything. So, has anyone had NS working in vista, and if so with what graphics card?

Re: Vista

Its a known issue that the new nvidia drivers for vista suck harder than a hoover.

You are just going to have to wait until better versions come out - the 100 series stink.

Comment

Unable to offer you any technical remedy, my only contribution is humor. I credit the intarweb. I didn't come up with this. I just read it somewhere (likely in Slashdot comments -- those nerds).

Various
      Improvements
      Similar
      To
      Apple
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

On a side note, blind comming is a good way to test your knowledge of binds/upgrade times/etc. Now if I could just find a way to move around the map without needing to see the cursor on the minimap... and have marines with infinite ammo that don't mind dying...

Comment

On the ATI front they recently released drivers that have fixed quite a few issues, but its still no win2k.

Comment

Why would you get Vista right now? Go research before you switch to the new OS. On torrentspy they said something like about 90% of all PC Games don't work on vista. HL2 barely works from what I hear.

Comment

I hated running NS in Vista when I was playing around with RC1. Had to run it through Direct3D since openGL is borked in vista at half the performance I usually get in XP.

Also aga, have you tried playing around with cl_gammaramp (0,1) ? I remember this fixed a similar problem with somebody, although that might have been Windows XP 64bit edition.
              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

vista has ****ty DX9 support tbh
                Never Knows Best

Comment

I've been using Vista for about a month now, and havn't been able to get NS fully functional. I have an ATI card, and ATI just released OpenGL drivers a few days ago. Before, no OpenGL games would run. Now NS is the only one giving me problems. The gamma ramp doesn't work, and the commander interface is blacked out.

Still dual-booting.

Originally posted by totalimmortal View Post
                  vista has ****ty DX9 support tbh
                  That doesn't make sense, since there aren't any available DX10 games yet. D3D performance is similar to XP.

Originally posted by xtcmen View Post
                  On torrentspy they said something like about 90% of all PC Games don't work on vista. HL2 barely works from what I hear.
                  FUD from questionable sources. No problems with any games here except for NS.
                  Last edited by Curlydave; 02-05-2007, 12:47 AM.
                  LLJK-Domino in game

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
                    I hated running NS in Vista when I was playing around with RC1. Had to run it through Direct3D since openGL is borked in vista at half the performance I usually get in XP.

Also aga, have you tried playing around with cl_gammaramp (0,1) ? I remember this fixed a similar problem with somebody, although that might have been Windows XP 64bit edition.
                    This fixed the problem, many thanks. No more blind comming for me.

Comment

< aero ftw
                      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Is this another another new computer? Or did you put vista on your HP?

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
                          Good call - Disabling the broken gamma ramp fixes the commander interface. If someone can find a way to fix the gamma ramp, we'll have fully-functioning NS in vista.
                          LLJK-Domino in game

Comment

who needs a gamma ramp?

Comment

Originally posted by ChopStick View Post
                              Is this another another new computer? Or did you put vista on your HP?
                              He went e-Machine tbh

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X