I need your help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need your help!

Ok, so here's the deal. I'm taking this class called Virtual Worlds, Real Communities. For it, I need to write a midterm paper by thursday.
    This is the topic I have chosen:

Critics have argued that virtual communities are not real and that mailing lists, instant messaging, chat rooms and online forums actually take people away from face to face communication and reduce our chances for formming physical communities and real connections. Where do game communities fit in? Are games ways for people to disengage from real-life? What is lost/gained by being part of such a community? Take a position and define where game communities fit in. You can restrict your argument to a specific game or a game type. Make sure you support your arguments.
    So how can you help? Well by telling me your personal experiences? Have you been able to take anything away from virtual communities? How are things different here?

If you have anything else you can think to say, let me know. The more "research data" the easier this will be.

:)
    remi.D

Re: I need your help!

Presuming you have chosen that topic from a list of topics, I also presume that it is pointed PRIMARILY (though not exclusively) toward MMOs. This would be a fine cross-post to the WOW forum.

TG as a whole though is a relatively unique beast in this "community" regard. As soon as I think up a decent response to your question, I'll post it.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Yes, it is primarily pointed towards MMOs.
      I will do as you suggested. :)

I don't like WoW and don't play MMOs so my paper is going to focus more on FPSes and NS because that's what I play, but different viewpoints are always good.
      remi.D

Comment

I can offer you a bit of information on that through my personal experiences with my old CS clan. Put it this way, it involves entire families playing in one clan, meeting about 90% of the people in it and me dating for 4 years and getting engaged to one of the girls in the clan. If you want the details, let me know.

Comment

That sounds like it could be incredibly helpful. Do you want to PM it to me or something?
          remi.D

Comment

Dibs on the movie / film / stage / screen adaptation rights.
            Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid View Post
              Dibs on the movie / film / stage / screen adaptation rights.
              I'm with stupid, second dibs. I want to be riveted by this tale of companionship, trials, redemption, and rejoice. No pressure Ferris.
              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Do either of you have any opinions on this subject?
                remi.D

Comment

Yeah, I'll PM it to you, expect it within the next couple hours. I'll give you all fact pretty much, no opinion. After all, it is your paper. :D

Comment

I met a couple people through an mmo and later found out they lived in my state. We later met at a public location and videogame tournaments ensued.

I still have contact with one of them, over aim. I'm sure I had his phone # awhile ago but it's kind of strange, when you meet someone online for the first time, you (read: I) really don't have the urge to call them or talk to them in real life as much as you'd think.

<insert reasonable disclaimer about meeting cereal killers online here>

Comment

I found my experience to be exactly the opposite. Granted it was a CS clan as opposed to an MMO, But as time progressed, I found that I wanted to meet a lot of them. I wound up meeting almost all of them, had a couple as roommates, almost married one. I guess part of it has to do with the fact that I grew up a navy brat, so making new friends is my m.o.

Comment

Originally posted by Slayer of Hippies View Post
                        <insert reasonable disclaimer about meeting cereal killers online here>
                        You will find that an astounding number of the folks you've met in TG are genuine cereal killers.
                        Steam Community: | |

Comment

count chocula ftw?

Comment

Ok, here's something of substance. I've been a member of TG for just about 2.5 years now. I stick around because the people I've met stand out as good natured honest folk. They have qualities I haven't managed to find in many people I've met on or off the internet.

I have fairly high standards for the people I care to associate myself with (that probably comes across badly, but I've met enough jerks). An online community makes it fairly easy to sort out those who share your interests and you can along with. It requires far more trial and error and uncomfortable situations in the "real world" to find those you get along well with. For the most part, I'm not interested in putting in the effort.

Being a part of an online community has done little to limit my "real world" friendships. (In reality, having a girlfriend did far more in that department.) Until the time where the two overlap, I'll likely alway choose to hang out with my non virtual friends over those I know online. That is mainly because I find much more satisfaction in just sitting back and enjoying someones company than chatting it up. Beyond chomping someones face with a skulk there isn't much else to do online with someone but chat.
                            Steam Community: | |

Comment

I posted this same topic in various places. On the NS Off-Topic forums someone posted this article which seems to apply with what you just said kormendi:

Originally posted by http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/games/wowworld.html
                              You've heard stories about how ticket sales are plummeting at movie theaters, in favor of home DVD viewing. Why? Why do so many people want to work from home now? Because we're sick of having to sit with other people. We want that extra layer of control that meat interaction will never give us. We want a world without the unpredictability of real, unrestrained humanity.
                              It's weird, but it's true. It is much more difficult to find people in society as opposed to online. The fact that we are all here for the same purpose means that we are going to be more similar than just some random person. The fact that we are all here also means that introducing oneself is much less akward, and tends to be easier to do.

Interesting stuff.
                              remi.D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...