Machina v2r Feedback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machina v2r Feedback

I'm opening this thread for feedback on the newest version of ns_machina now in rotation on the server. Please, if you play the map and think something should change or would like to comment on it, post it in here as the author will listen to feedback. Although please keep the "this map isn't competetive" and "that map sucks" comments out of this thread. Constructive criticism only. Especially important areas are node placement and changes in layout for more mid-map action.

Quite a lot has changed with the map, so be sure to get a good look around.

Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Machina v2p Feedback

Seems you found the right forum!

This is my favorite map graphically in NS. Plus I got to look at the alpha builds way back when when this map was like 10,000 times as large.
    USAR

Comment

I loved that giant space flea in the rr, unfortunately I crashed just after I joined aliens, so I can't much more about it just yet :(

Comment

Yep that is a known issue (IIRC, that section is still a WIP). The readyroom is also still under construction. I love it how you get a sense of where you are in the ship in this map though.

Comment

<3 It. Its new, gorgeous, different, and balanced. Its easy to familiarize after a few maps, but to learn every in and out it will take a while. I like that a lot (provides good replayability and tactics options).

I really like all the nooks and crannies its great to do some trickjumping or lerking.

The ship outside in the rr is awesome, and even better that it goes to random.

pub nub: oooooooohhhh shiny object me want me want
          *pub nub joins aliens
          pub nub: huh?

Actual constructive critism will come when I think of any.

Comment

Hi all! Thanks for the feedback so far. I am the author of this map and all comments are greatly appreciated.

There have been two updates to this map since version 2p, with some rather large changes. You may still comment on the balance of version 2p of course, but very soon the new version will be available which will play somewhat differently - basically, some routes have been redirected, and some other routes which are brand new, and some changes here and there (such as node movement) in an effort to re-balance everything again.

Anyway, I thought I should mention that, before this thread got carried away with responses to v2p. I don't want anyone to feel like their feedback is not appreciated or noticed by me by not telling you that the map has already changed a lot :)

Comment

Welcome merkaba (maker of ns_hera), good to have your map on our server.

Machina v2r now updated and in rotation on the server, please give feedback.

Changelog:

ns_machina takes place on a mining ship. The owners of the ship are part of a socially reclusive society, who have no wish to let their affairs be known to the rest of humanity; and have no wish to know their affairs either. Their technology is more refined and effecient than that of the rest of the species, and their social structure differs greatly also. Given the chance to investigate this infested derelict, the TSA government wastes no time in dispatching a Frontiersman team to eliminate the Kharaa and dig into the technology used by these mysterious patrons.

==v2r==

Added path from Barren to Crater

Moved Barren & Inner Barren north slightly to make node easier to defend.

Added ledge overlooking Arrival & Departure

Crater moving lift now returns to MS after 5 seconds

Added large platform to Crater

Expanded area around Central Node Descent node

Moved Routing node back to its original position

Added path from Irradiation Channels to Imine Falls

Added weldable to circumn which blocks off access from Imine Falls till welded; node & pathway always available now.

==v2q==

Redirected:
              Maus hive -> Crater South
              to
              Maus hive -> Turning point.

Redirected:
              The Pit -> Snakes Body
              to
              The Pit -> Crater South

Added back lift to end of crater walkway.

Removed path between Central Node Descent & Snakes Tail.
              Added ladder path between The Pit and Ceti Noon.

Moved Routing node again, is now on the west/east walkway above the water.
              Moved node in Inner Barren back to Central Node Descent.

Deleted Walkway node - there are now 11 nodes again.

Orange = 2q
              Green = 2r

Comment

Thanks, aeroripper!

This is officially no longer v2p feedback thread but v2r feedback :D

Comment

So noted. :)
                  Thanks for the work and the kind ear, Merkaba.
                  [volun2]
                  NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                  Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                  <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                  <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Re: Machina v2r Feedback

Aliens seem to have a generally harder time with the map entirely if they start in tau ceti. Not sure if this can be alleviated with closer nodes, but a PG in angel's grave, along with marine nodes on that side of the map are a chore for aliens to munch clear across the map.

This map is big enough where aliens *HAVE* to have one skulk go around hitting nodes even when sieges are going down. If marines hold all those nodes on that side of the map and a PG in angels grave, time will eventually put them on top if they keep teching. Although I really think those new pathways (highlighted in green) have helped open up the map more for marines, so they can still walk to their destination in a reasonable amount of time, rather than relying necessarily on phase gates.

Most games I've played on the map are usually enjoyable, and watching battle gorges assassinate unsuspecting marines entering the foliage on maus hive.
                    Last edited by aeroripper; 02-12-2007, 02:24 AM.

Comment

I'm enjoying this map very much, and I'm lost as hell. I can only imagine the offerings once I'm oriented.
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I like the new passageway layout, gives faster access to the main parts of the map. Also, thrilled that theres now a way to get all the way across to mausoleum from MS. One thing i have noticed is that coming from tau ceti or CND to the pit, you cant jump down without taking fall damage. perhaps one of the pillars could be lowered to a medium height so as to make for a stepping stone to get down?
                        the only other thing that bothers me is the same thing that has bothered me in every version of this map. 2 of the three hives provide GREAT cover for aliens and are still leave maneuverability for marines. Then theres angel's grave. the hive is WIDE open. all it takes is one marine to go in and spawncamp because theres nowhere in the spawn area he cant hit if hes standing directly across from the hive. I recommend putting up some kind of pillars or something to make it at least a smidge tougher (and match the other two hives).

Comment

every time Ive commanded before version2, the games were sort of one sided, regardless of teams stacked or not.

Other then that games are fun, and tunnels offer a lot of game play elements for both aliens and marines.

Also this map is super jp friendly.(well maybe not that super, but better then most maps)

Comment

Played some great captains games on this today, I really think the map is fun to play. We kept discovering little nooks and crannies in it:P. Also, I thought the light bright marines at the bottom of the pit during planning was cool:

Also had some absolutely gorgeous firefights.

Comment

That new hallway from turning point to Mal hive makes the distance from those to hives very short for marines, especially when you compare how long is takes to go from Tau to Mal.

Additionally, the sharp and barren look of that hallway doesn't have the look of the other parts of the map.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X