• Machina

Do you pronounce it like:

machine-a

mack-ina

other?

(needs to be a poll)
    aka Roland tHTG

Re: Machina

It's "machine-a", ask merkaba himself :)
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

asking merkaba is all well and good, but machina is a latin word pronounced mah-kee-na. as in deus ex machina. if you want to pronounce it machine-a, you're more than welcome to, but I wont. the only other language I could find it in was polish, and the pronunciation was listed the same way. So that makes 2 languages that pronounce it my way and 0 that pronounce it in what i will now refer to as the "lame way". :)

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
        asking merkaba is all well and good, but machina is a latin word pronounced mah-kee-na. as in deus ex machina. if you want to pronounce it machine-a, you're more than welcome to, but I wont. the only other language I could find it in was polish, and the pronunciation was listed the same way. So that makes 2 languages that pronounce it my way and 0 that pronounce it in what i will now refer to as the "lame way". :)
        it means machine in Russian :P, im sure it means same in polish(could be wrong)

Comment

indeed it does in both languages. doesnt change the pronunciation.

Comment

I vote we start calling him "Mershaba"

Comment

indeed it does in both languages. doesnt change the pronunciation.
              I think does. would be very surprised if it did not.

Comment

I know people in both Poland and Russia, i'll ask both tomorrow and let you guys know.

Comment

YOU'RE PLAYING A SPACE MARINE GAME. The word "machina" is now in Glakaspeek (as of Galayear 1805.2) and is pronounced "machine-uh." No one has ever heard of "Polish" or "Russian" but "Latin" now refers to a planet of backward ape-monkeys that insist on proper Galaktanet grammar and spelling.

Sheesh.
                  Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Last I checked, TSA was still based on Earth. My point stands.

Comment

Last I checked, TSA was still based on Earth. My point stands.
                      Where in my post do you see anything about not being on Earth anymore (other than my quip about "Latin")? Languages do die out over time and who's to say that Polish and Russian haven't died out by the time the NS timeline takes over? How many languages of BC Europe have been forgotten, even in name?

There's no especially good reason to force "machina" to fit today's language if we're playing a game set in a fantasy universe. That's my point. So if a guy wants to use an alternate pronunciation for a word - I'll let him do it.
                      Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

lol good thread. I didn't know the Latin pronounciation was mack-ina, though I knew that it is often pronounced that way...I just don't like the sound of it myself. I guess 'Machine-a' could be considered pronounciation for dummies, or else I quite fancy 'ma-shin-a' (a mix of the two sorta).

Comment

Could be that the evolution of language drops the "kuh" sound, but it would still have the latin root... Merkaba (fantastic map btw), I think there really needs to be a pronunciation guide in the rr. Maybe something like this:

Machina: pronunciation. (ma-sheen-uh) from Glakaspeek, circa Galayear 1805.2. (mak-ihn-uh) from latin root meaning device, or contraption, circa 1,000 B.C. - 2,000 A.D.
                          1. Mechinical device, any self-regulating or propelled device, the main purpose of which is to eliminate higher alien life forms in TSA controlled areas, The exception may be lower life form noobs whose primary objective is to waste resources on Offensive Chambers or Defense Chambers in Beta 3.2.0. Noob life forms pose little if any threat to Machina.
                          Example: The gorge "NSPlayer posed no threat on Machina because it placed two offence chambers in Marine Start 2 minutes into a game."
                          2. Any resource powered device meant to advance weaponry, armor or tactical guidance equipment used to eliminate higher alien lifeforms operating at three hive capacity.
                          Example: "The three fades on Machina waited on the other side of the phase gate for Marines to enter the meat grinder with their LMG's."

Comment

Isn't Machina (pronounced the latin way...) the term coined for the making of movies using games?

I pronounce it "ma-sheen-uh", but I definitely do agree that the proper pronounciation is "mah-kee-na".
                            remi.D

Comment

The man creates the map of a fictional space. I pronounce the word the way he tells me to. Factual languages be damned.
                              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X