Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Might be MIA for a bit.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Might be MIA for a bit.

    Just got my two new SATA HDDs in today. I plan to setup a RAID 0 IDE array and screw with a few ideas for a pagefile setup I've been throwing around. Plus I have to install XP and it always takes a bit to hammer out all the details when you upgrade your OS. God...I have so many programs I'm going to have to re-install and about 80 gigs of archived video,photoshop, gaming updates to backup.

    Hopefully after all this crap is over, I can get around to creating myself a new sig pic as this one has nothing to do with NS or TG. Meh..

    Anyways, you guys will have to get by without me somehow for a day or two. Be strong.....

  • #2
    Re: Might be MIA for a bit.

    Don't blow anything up. Come back soon.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

    Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Might be MIA for a bit.

      That was fast. XPs on with all the drivers loaded. Now begins the painstaking task of moving everything over. I will post pictures once I get around to uploading them. I like installs that go off without a hitch. Especially when I'm trying something new.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Might be MIA for a bit.

        Yeah XP should be a snap to install... hell I did it and it took me all of 2 hours.. the updates is what kills you though.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Might be MIA for a bit.

          Yea, I'm actually downloading them now. I wasn't too concerned with XP as much as I was with the SATA install. That went in easier than anything. Score one for modern technology. This striped array is flying. Disk access is insane.

          I hope to do some actual testing on this once I get all the updates loaded and my games re-installed. I may get around to overclocking this thing again, but it's not like I need a whole lot of "oomph" to play NS.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Might be MIA for a bit.

            Originally posted by TheFeniX
            Yea, I'm actually downloading them now. I wasn't too concerned with XP as much as I was with the SATA install. That went in easier than anything. Score one for modern technology. This striped array is flying. Disk access is insane.

            I hope to do some actual testing on this once I get all the updates loaded and my games re-installed. I may get around to overclocking this thing again, but it's not like I need a whole lot of "oomph" to play NS.

            RAID 0 will not help with games, but will help in other areas.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Might be MIA for a bit.

              Originally posted by Cobra
              RAID 0 will not help with games, but will help in other areas.
              Actual FPS no, but games with large load times (BF1942, UT2k4) it can make a difference. Granted, probably not enough to be an issue, but then again I pretty much only play NS as it is and I'm usually the first in the ready room after the map change so I'm not exactly shooting for the gold here.

              My remaining bottle neck is my video card. This GF4 4600 will go as soon as the need truely arises (HL2?). I just REALLY don't want to mess with that. It's such a pain to work with the cooling system once it's in and done.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Might be MIA for a bit.

                Originally posted by TheFeniX
                Actual FPS no, but games with large load times (BF1942, UT2k4) it can make a difference. Granted, probably not enough to be an issue, but then again I pretty much only play NS as it is and I'm usually the first in the ready room after the map change so I'm not exactly shooting for the gold here.

                My remaining bottle neck is my video card. This GF4 4600 will go as soon as the need truely arises (HL2?). I just REALLY don't want to mess with that. It's such a pain to work with the cooling system once it's in and done.
                So your game will load faster...then what? I have the capability to run this, and after looking into it....not worth it unless you alot of ripping or things of that nature. Once the game is loaded, you get nothing more. I guess you will be the first in the RR anyway :)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Might be MIA for a bit.

                  Originally posted by Cobra
                  So your game will load faster...then what? I have the capability to run this, and after looking into it....not worth it unless you alot of ripping or things of that nature. Once the game is loaded, you get nothing more. I guess you will be the first in the RR anyway :)
                  You mean you have the RAID controller and the drives and you're not running 'em? Why? You don't trust the hardware?

                  Hard drives are the slowest thing in our computers. Opening up that bottleneck in any way will definitely improve overall PC performance.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Might be MIA for a bit.

                    Originally posted by Cobra
                    So your game will load faster...then what? I have the capability to run this, and after looking into it....not worth it unless you alot of ripping or things of that nature. Once the game is loaded, you get nothing more. I guess you will be the first in the RR anyway :)
                    Oh, I missunderstood. You thought I was going to use the games to test the new drive speed. No, I just want to get all my crap re-installed first, then screw around with my drive performance tester (if I still have it, I may need to re-download it).

                    The main reason for a striped array was that I have plans to start doing a lot more video editing. Demo conversion and other stuff like that. Also, the performance benefit to 150 over 100/133 was worth it because I was able to get these drives at the same price as regular ATA. And I already had the SATA and RAID built into my A7V8X, so I had no excuse not to go with it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Might be MIA for a bit.

                      Originally posted by CingularDuality
                      You mean you have the RAID controller and the drives and you're not running 'em? Why? You don't trust the hardware?

                      Id rather have 360 gigs of space over a RAID 0 160gig. I pretty much only play games, and this doesnt really help when it comes to games.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Might be MIA for a bit.

                        Originally posted by TheFeniX
                        Oh, I missunderstood. You thought I was going to use the games to test the new drive speed. No, I just want to get all my crap re-installed first, then screw around with my drive performance tester (if I still have it, I may need to re-download it).

                        The main reason for a striped array was that I have plans to start doing a lot more video editing. Demo conversion and other stuff like that. Also, the performance benefit to 150 over 100/133 was worth it because I was able to get these drives at the same price as regular ATA. And I already had the SATA and RAID built into my A7V8X, so I had no excuse not to go with it.
                        If your using it for those prposes, then your good to go :)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Might be MIA for a bit.

                          Originally posted by Cobra
                          Id rather have 360 gigs of space over a RAID 0 160gig. I pretty much only play games, and this doesnt really help when it comes to games.
                          You lost me here. I don't understand. RAID 0 turns two 180G drives into a single 360G drive that is almost twice as fast (it reads and writes to both drives simultaneously). You don't sacrifice drive space. You don't sacrifice data security (if you're not using another type of RAID, anyway...). The benefits are without risk.
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Might be MIA for a bit.

                            Originally posted by Cobra
                            Id rather have 360 gigs of space over a RAID 0 160gig. I pretty much only play games, and this doesnt really help when it comes to games.
                            You're thinking of RAID 1: mirroring. RAID 0: striping isn't really RAID because it's not even redundant, but it's there none-the-less. It stripes data across multiple HDDs to increase performance.

                            Down side: one drive dies, you loose ALL your data. I wish I had the money for a RAID 5 controller and drives. Alas, too rich for my blood.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Might be MIA for a bit.

                              Originally posted by CingularDuality
                              The benefits are without risk.
                              Other than your data is twice as likely to get lost. As long as you buy reliable drives, this shouldn't be a huge problem though. I would recommend keeping your important (small) documents on a non-raid drive though. You know, in case the problem happens right before one of your regularly-scheduled (snicker) backups to CD.

                              Let us know how you like the RAID once you're settled in with it. I've heard different people say "This is the best thing ever!" and "RAID0 can actually hurt performance under normal circumstances". I have a feeling it's somewhere in between, and I'd appreciate a somewhat objective viewpoint.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X