New NS2 Blog Entry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New NS2 Blog Entry

We've added LUA scripting language support to the Source engine (this is done expertly in Garry's Mod and we've learned a lot by looking at it and talking to him). We are then treating the game more as a library or API, with most of NS-specific code implemented in this scripting language. This includes things like setting up the tech tree (including costs, research times, dependencies), spawning (wave spawn, spawning at structures, etc.), the resource model and even how all the structures work.
    http://www.unknownworlds.com/blog/20..._selectio.html

Hopefully that will enable the game to be coded a lot faster :D.
    This also means maps can pre-place structures, allowing for more scenario-type maps.
    Now THAT sounds cool. I'm thinking of starcraft-esk type maps where marines are holding up in a bunker fighting off waves of OCs\aliens.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: New NS2 Blog Entry

I would love to see a lerk get caught in a grav gun and crushed.

Comment

it really should speed things up. I've done a lot of playing with garry's mod and you can really code FAST with it. The big issue is going to be the mapping. Granted, mapping interfaces on the HL2 engine are significantly better than the HL1 engine, we're functioning with a whole new level of detail and dynamics, which is going to take a while. however, one of the nice things that comes with HL2 is the expanded range of outdoor environments that it allows, so perhaps we could see some non-ship/space station maps.

I agree with your take on the last part as well aero. It'd be nice to see aliens in an offensive role instead of always playing defense. I think having a very large map with the marines and aliens both starting with full tech/3 hives and tons of res and just duking it out for ultimate victory would be a cool thing to see. Now, the problem with this is obviously that the marines can drop jps/weaps/ha instantly, so perhaps implementing some kind of timer that makes the rines wait for like 20 seconds or so to get full ups, so aliens have a chance to gestate to higher lifeforms. after all, anyone can kill a skulk before it xenos.

Comment

ns2s_turretdefense

Delicious.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

people are going to recreate everything on starcraft - sunken D anyone?

The scripting language looks really tight, I can see lots of people (Me, Yoshi, etc...) messing around.

Someone is definately gonna make a scorpian that hovars!

Still I am more excited about the rapid development than the third party modding right now.

Comment

I'm programmed in LUA / LISP (not *I have* but *I AM *).
            Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Originally posted by micr0c0sm View Post
              Someone is definately gonna make a scorpian that hovars!
              Piglet "Oh dear.. oh de'de'de dear".
              USAR

Comment

starcraft - sunken D
                freakin sweet!

Comment

Mmm modding a mod tis' always fun. Hehe, what about stacked D :p stack a bunch of OCs and have a hallway system with bots coming out or whatever. That would probly be fun for a while. I wonder if this means that the 'seige' maps will come with more pre-made stuff. :p

Comment

The juicy morsel of this entry is the stuff about the Armory - apparently, they're going to let marines use it to buy weapon presets rather than making the comm drop guns. This implies that either marines have a personal budget or they can spend the team's res, which is pretty interesting. Maybe the comm determines how many guns can be bought by stocking the armory personally, or something?

Comment

I've always wanted a variation in upgrades, sort of like has been implemented in the co_ plugins. At weapons 1 - you can choose an upgrade type: more damage, bigger clip, faster firing rate, faster reload rate, explosive rounds, etc. with off-setting balance factors of course. Seems like allowing marines to choose this, and weapons, too, will allow for some Tribes-like outfitting / kits that will bring some variation to the game.
                      Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

That sounds a bit scary. Due to fact that many whiners just whine to the comm from a shotty but he's using / saving the rezz and they could just 'Armory hump' a shotgun when the rezz spikes.... I hope that it is a personal budget or comm stocks because at least it won't be rezz messy.

Comment

It would be easy to make a plugin that lets the comm buy shotguns that are stored in the armory and then can be picked up by individual marines. Or to allow marines to request a shotgun and allow the com to accept with a left-click or deny with a right quick. I can see LUA as being very fun to test interfacing with the game and other platers, not just for messing with balance or adding new structures/items/classes.

Comment

Originally posted by Donat View Post
                            That sounds a bit scary. Due to fact that many whiners just whine to the comm from a shotty but he's using / saving the rezz and they could just 'Armory hump' a shotgun when the rezz spikes.... I hope that it is a personal budget or comm stocks because at least it won't be rezz messy.
                            agreed, i dont want the basics of res management to be changed. i also am unsure how tribes-like kitting would make the game more or less fun or balanced. It is already quite complex...

Comment

As long as *standard* play remains the core of the game, I'm for it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X