adding a new-player help file

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding a new-player help file

I have encountered many players on the server who are new to the game. Personally, I feel that new players should read the game guide (it's very extensive and full of pictures). However, many people feel that they should just jump into the game and learn as they play. This means that they have no idea about certain features in the game (especially in the new patch), such as how to view the map or what key +movement is.

Hence, I propose adding a server feature that would output a list of things "you should really know" when you typed the triggering command in console (i.e. new_player_to_NS joins the game, says "I don't know where the hive is", is told "type 'helpme' in console", does so and sees a bunch of very essential statements about the game. This would be an easy thing to add to the server, and extremely useful. It would not flood the on-screen game, as it would only display in console.

To start off, here's the beginning of the list.
    1. Your first few games, go marine. Listen to your commander and ask for help.
    2. The default bind for the map is 'c'. Use your map as often as possible, as it tells you alot about what is going on.
    3. +Movement ...
    4. Stay in a group. Better players will be able to kill you 1 on 1; seek power in numbers.
    5. etc etc

Re: adding a new-player help file

I think a fair share of folks would take value from the finished product, if presented properly.

Two thoughts:

1. People can get pissy by your filling even just their console log with unsolicited text.
    2. And so, chat or console, I wouldn't implement this unless it were opt-in, per map (some kind of command that is not persisted).

If enough people here give a damn enough about this idea to design it out, I wouldn't mind adding it to my dev todo list.

EDIT: Or, even better, someone else here could code it for us. In that case, admins may make changes to the delivered code before placing it on the server.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Not that it wouldn't have value here, but why suggest it here? This seems like a better idea for NS-wide implementation.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Each tip could have a class (and, for marines, weapon) to which it applied (and displayed):

GENERAL (displayable to anyone)
        LIGHT
        HEAVY
        JETPACK
        SHOTGUN
        HMG
        ETC
        SKULK
        GORGE
        LERK
        ETC

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
          Each tip could have a class (and, for marines, weapon) to which it applied (and displayed):

GENERAL (displayable to anyone)
          LIGHT
          HEAVY
          JETPACK
          SHOTGUN
          HMG
          ETC
          SKULK
          GORGE
          LERK
          ETC
          My thought was more toward a short list of general tips (around 10, definitely less than 20) that everyone should know (and agree on). Things like how to use the map, listening to experienced players, asking to go lerk instead of just going lerk (and dying). An extensive system would be nice, but seems like alot of work; at that point I would just point them to the help file (outdated ones shown below).

As far as the display, I am not sure if I was clear earlier. You would type in the command to show the list in console, and it would only display in console. I am not sure why someone would need to "opt in", as the text would only be displayed if you typed the command in. Certainly, there are other ways to do this, but a command triggering a list in console seems like the easiest to code and the least intrusive.

Hence, script complexity would just be 1. user calls function 2. function uses printf (or whatever) and displays output (just use code from sharegb, as it outputs to console too)

As for coming up with a list, well, that's somewhat controversial.

Also, the end of the list could say something like:
          For more tips see (please note these are not the latest version, but very close; see changelogs for details)
          unknownworlds.com/ns/static/comm_manual/basic/index.htm
          or
          unknownworlds.com/ns/static/Natural_Selection_Manual.html

Comment

Oh, goodness. That's much simpler than I had envisioned.

Still useful, though. No design required. That's cake.

It's like /rules, but to the console, and with different text.

Comment

i think it should be just like /rules displayed on screen for maximum learning + doing instead of having a bunch of people checking thier console too often and not moving... then you can add to /rules at the bottom : 'new to the game? type /n000b in teamsay (the y button) for some tips!'

isn't this what cl_autohelp was for by the way?

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                Oh, goodness. That's much simpler than I had envisioned.

Still useful, though. No design required. That's cake.

It's like /rules, but to the console, and with different text.
                Also might try using a modified version of Helper for this.
                birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

So, any progress on writing this? Do I/we need to come up with a list to use as text?

Comment

...and it would be easier than each of us having an individual NS tip as part of our name, right yeh.j2(+movement) ? ;)
                    aka Roland tHTG

Comment

I've not started anything.

Comment

I would really, really like to see this happen, and am still willing to help make it happen.

Why is this important:
                        Several players on the server are either new to NS or have not played in several years, hence they are not aware of (what I consider) crucial parts of NS. Simple things like how to change your binds (go to options), how to use your map, how to use the hive/phase gate, and how to use teamchat are essential for any sort of teamwork. As a side note, I think any serious player should look at changelogs etc, but that's just a personal opinion (plus I think they're fun to read i.e. "oh cool look how they changed DCs"). There are still somethings that ALL players should know, hence the motivation for a list.

The reason a list is good, instead of walking every new player through one piece of the game (like how to use the map), is that regular players aren't mind-readers. By mind-readers, I mean regular players can't possibly know what a new player knows and does not know, i.e. you can only answer the question that is asked by the new player. A list, on the other hand, easily provides information on what the new player is probably asking PLUS other very important facts about the game. This additional information is the best part about a list. Now, just fyi, at the beginning and end of the list there should be a clause like "if you don't understand something, ask someone for clarification." Also, the list should be fairly short, as it's not supposed to be a manual.

Comment

A part of me has been and remains a fan of this idea.

Another part of me observes that only a handful of binds/commands need be learned immediately for the new player (map, pop-up menu, etc). The rest can come with time, and the forums/websites (ours, others') meet that need handsomely, it seems. Plus, by educating new players, I get to meet them, and they get to discover that I give a damn about them.

I'm all for having multiple ways to skin a cat, though.

Comment

last tip should be 'to toggle this message, type /tghelp in teamchat (usually y)'

Comment

micr0's off the writing team. lol

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X