Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captains Games

How do people view captains games?

A lot of people treat captains games as a pub pug. A balanced game that should be slightly more competitive than most regular games. It upsets me when I see that a lot of people just want a captains game to be like *every other game on TG*.

Now for non-regulars, I can see why they want that since its pretty much guaranteed to mean even teams skill-wise, but for regulars, we have the balance plugin so most games are balanced for regs.

I see captains games as an opportunity to try new tactics, strategies, heck even upgrade paths (especially if those upgrade paths FORCE different playing styles upon the players). It's a chance to try something crazy, basically that there is more than one way to skin a cat (you dont NEED to go MC->SC->DC or A1->W1->W2->A2->W3->A3 to have an optimal game).

Relocate, try a new number of nodes (either more or less), different numbers of lifeforms or later / earlier upgrades for the sake of turret farming.

A lot of skilled players have agreed upon the most optimal way to play a match, yet individually and as a team many people have not played non-standard games and therefore have very little to compare it to. Even when there is a regular non-standard game most people do not change thier tactics, PROVING that the generally accepted way of playing a match is the *only* way to play a match well.

For people with a ?, I do not expect them to want to try something different, but if you are a registered player or regular I would like to stress trying something new. If it means marines need to stay together more or aliens will only have map control by staying back and then ambushing, it will upset some skilled players who can normally rambo and help the team, but I think it will overall strengthen the teamwork and make games less repetitive.

The only reason I can see against trying something new (besides actual knowledge of the enemies tendencies like 'sens will *not* work vs. Ag...') is that some people do not have the luxury of playing multiple games daily (i.e. they have lives). Just say so! Say 'listen i know you want to do something crazy, but I have crap to do and would really appreciate a straight game'. That is much more valid than 'OMG NO WAY YOU NEED TO GET A1 FIRST OR GAME OVER' .

Re: Captains Games

I like trying new things on capt. games.
    Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

I like trying new things just about all the time, captains or non-captains. Maybe with a 50/50 ratio between "standard plan" and "unusual plan".

What I see captains as useful for is creating strategies that take more time than usual to describe. A lot of non-standard plans can be set up fairly well in 30 seconds, while certain more complex strategies can take a couple minutes to plan out and make sure everyone knows what they are doing. Captains games offer us the extra planning time we need to make sure those ideas can be pulled off correctly. And again, around 50/50 ratio between fairly "normal" plans and more unusual plans is great.

Of course...I see clan scrims about the same way, so... ;)

Comment

I've noticed that people tend to spend too much time making "fixed" plans, and that aren't adaptive enough. Too some degree, it seems to me that often, (but not always,) the greater the amount of time spent planning leads to a greater chance of failure.

Now, that being said, I'd like to see more strategies based upon concepts (instead of specifics), with secondary options discussed for alternatives. I think the marines sometimes have problems with this, by falling into a rigid command structure as well. Perhaps the commander should their top players for input more often.

Comment

I'd like to hear more people suggest strategies for captains' games. One of the reasons I don't captain much anymore is because I simply don't have any strats at the moment that I haven't tried before (though I'm always willing to try to perfect the lerk control and oc chokepoint strats). On the majority of captains' games it seems that we go with a standard strat because nobody comes up with a reasonable alternative that isn't just a rush. I'm all for trying different strats, but I don't want to spend 10 minutes picking teams and planning for a 30 second game.

Yes, occasionally you will hear the argument of "go with what works" or "listen to that experienced player" who's saying there's a reason the standard strat is standard. Far more often though, it goes more like this: "Anyone have any strats they want to try?" ... silence. One thing I did back when we had captains' nights on saturdays was to draw up a list of alternate strats I wanted to experiment with. Sure, most were dismal failures, but some worked quite well, and they were all fun to try. So, my suggestion is this: do some brainstorming, come up with a reasonably detailed plan. Say you want to do something involving early MT. Don't just say 'get early MT' in your next captains game, that's not a full strat. Instead, figure out what else would go well with this, and how to make use of it. Then propose the whole package, and explain how to use it. Most teams are willing to try a new plan, it's just that '8 onos lolol' is NOT a plan.

Comment

I see captains games as simply a more organized game. You have hand-picked teams from a highly concentrated pool of regulars and a lot of time beforehand to plan things out. It increases the chances of getting a really good game going, that's all. I don't see any reason why it should be a license to try crazy tactics. It's very easy to do this stuff in regular games, especially for marines - just call comm and whatever you want to do, goes. There's no reason we should go out of our way to do it in captain's games. On the contrary, captain's games are higher stakes - it takes much longer to set them up than a random pug and they're much more rare. That's why I usually like to play for real with a good strategy, rather than something that's different just because. That doesn't mean we need to use the build order every time, but it does mean that we should be sticking to things that are at least somewhat likely to work and not trying to figure out new strategies.

Comment

Yes it's easier on marines to be novel in a "regular" game, but planning SC or DC placement is much much more difficult in a "regular" game and capt. games better facilitate this kind of necessary planning.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid View Post
                Yes it's easier on marines to be novel in a "regular" game, but planning SC or DC placement is much much more difficult in a "regular" game and capt. games better facilitate this kind of necessary planning.
                DCs and SCs first are not particularly unusual strategies either. People use them in captains games all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Zek View Post
                  DCs and SCs first are not particularly unusual strategies either. People use them in captains games all the time.
                  That's my point. They're not used as much (or nearly as effectively) in non-captains games. The captains games allow for the necessary planning to pull this strategy off.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X