3.2 Thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.2 Thoughts?

So, 3.2 is out, and we've had a weekend to play over... I would like to hear fellow TG members' thoughts, and share a few of my own.

What I've noticed while playing 3.2:

-Marines are downright ridiculously fast in 3.2.
    Example: In a pub game from one of the servers put up by Unknown Worlds...
    By minute five, we had taken Double, Eastern Lights, Topography, Pipeline, and the other two RTs in that vicinity, and had Armor 1, Weapons 1, Grenades, Phase Tech, and Motion ~ half way done, with Armor 2 just starting.

Re: 3.2 Thoughts?

There's no reason they should have let you take all those rt. The tech timeline is about right - doesn't seem to be (much) faster than any game I've played with decent res flow.

I'd say you had alien problems and not marine buffs in that game.

Were you were on a 10v10(+) server? In 10v10(+) the marines have more advantages early game -- there's not many places for them to be so they tend to group up; aliens can't ambush as effectively and (still) don't group well; pub skulks tend not to ambush or close well and the marines have superior range; it's not until aliens get a (good) mobile lerk or fade that they can pressure the marines back and have some skulks come in behind and chew down the marine infrastructure.

I can never stand playing on the 16v16 servers out there. Without a very good fade, it's pretty much a cakewalk for any commander who can drop a pg+tf and lock down hives.
    Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

It wasn't really the alien team. They were quite good. Probably not quite up to TG standards, but give them a little time, effort, and maybe a lot of marine blood, and they would be up to par for this server. It was the fact that the marine early game was ridiculously fast. I mean, by minute 1.5, I had three marines in double, shooting things.

It was an 8v8 game, by the way.

Maybe it was the fact that I was blessed with a marine team that actually wanted to go out and accomplish something.

Comment

Originally posted by Auren View Post
        It wasn't really the alien team. They were quite good. Probably not quite up to TG standards, but give them a little time, effort, and maybe a lot of marine blood, and they would be up to par for this server. It was the fact that the marine early game was ridiculously fast. I mean, by minute 1.5, I had three marines in double, shooting things.

It was an 8v8 game, by the way.

Maybe it was the fact that I was blessed with a marine team that actually wanted to go out and accomplish something.
        I'd say you were blessed. We've had 3+ marines in double shooting things and such at 90 seconds many times here (take west, take topo, move both groups to double). A decent alien team should be able to thin those numbers a little bit, but if you moved two groups of three in either direction and then had them converge on double, the aliens would still likely get stomped without a lot of luck.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

The lerk is making a comeback. Expect to see more early game lerk ownage again. Beyond that not much has changed since the betas.

Comment

One quick question... I never noticed if this was in beta or not, but in the changelog, this is mentioned:

Modified defense chamber healing effect:
            * A player or structure is only healed by a single defense chamber at a time.
            Am I reading that wrong or does that mean walking by a group of DCs, only 1 will heal you? So there's no need for multiple DCs near each other anymore? For example, when pushing MS, is it now pointless in building multiple DCs outside? Also, can the hive only be healed by one DC?

I'm pretty sure I'm reading it wrong as I played it last night and healed up much faster in a 5 DC cluster than when it was just 1. If I'm wrong in my statements above, what are they referring to in this change?

Comment

The benifiet of having multiple DCs is that multiple structures/players can be healed at the same time. But yes, DCs no longer stack.

This means that single DCs around the map are much more helpful, and the only time you actually need multiple are in locations that will have very many hurt structures and/or aliens.
              remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight View Post
                The benifiet of having multiple DCs is that multiple structures/players can be healed at the same time. But yes, DCs no longer stack.

This means that single DCs around the map are much more helpful, and the only time you actually need multiple are in locations that will have very many hurt structures and/or aliens.

So I guess my experience last night in a cluster of DCs was just my imagination then. Thanks blu.knight for the explanation!

Comment

What you may or may not have noticed is that the healing provided by that one DC is substantially more than one DC used to be, to compensate for not being able to use 3 at once.

The formula is 10 HP + 3% of your max life, so a skulk only gets 12, but a Hive gets 220 HP per tick. Onos get a fairly decent 38.5, although they've really never got much benefit out of DC nests just cause they have so much HP they need to regen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                    What you may or may not have noticed is that the healing provided by that one DC is substantially more than one DC used to be, to compensate for not being able to use 3 at once.

The formula is 10 HP + 3% of your max life, so a skulk only gets 12, but a Hive gets 220 HP per tick. Onos get a fairly decent 38.5, although they've really never got much benefit out of DC nests just cause they have so much HP they need to regen.
                    I did realize that in beta, rushing a hive with guns was pointless if there was a DC near it. Commanders always barked out to get rid of the DCs before hitting the hive so I knew a change had been made, but I didn't realize it was this universal.

Thanks again for the explanations.. good to know when I'm gorging so I don't waste res building DC nests.

Comment

hmm so DCs are still useful as a nest around a hive, because it can heal multiple lifeforms and the hive, but generally they should be spread out like scs for maximum damage.

2OC + 1DC nests are actually useful now (at least up to early-mid game)

Comment

The DC nest in a hive is obnoxious. DCs take a lot of damage, so if there are too many the fact it's not even worth it for the marines to take them out because the aliens will probably respond before they're all gone... And one is all it takes to heal the hive.
                        remi.D

Comment

agreed. while you only need one, having more than 1 dc in a hive is a HUGE deterrent to sg rushes.

Comment

I would personally recommend putting 1 DC behind the second hive (if you go with that chamber) right away. The biggest thing is with the DC placement, you have to condition players to put the DC outside siege range (where applicable), otherwise its benefit is lost.

1 DC can easily heal a hive if the commander doesn't ping enough even with 3 sieges.
                            Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                            Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

infact, its a bit too strong. i think :)

early today on the server we played nancy and our hive was being sieged by atleast 3 siege. i dropped a dc behind hive and went back to skulk to bite rts. as it was being sieged the hive was never low enough to need a gorge to heal it. i hope some look into that, it is mean to commanders who think they are going to take a hive down.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X