vote_rebalance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vote_rebalance

Aero said for me to post this: please implement vote_rebalance in addition to the balance plugin. It works great a lot of the time but sometimes not so much. Allow only registered players to comprise the 100% majority of a team. Make it something like 51% of the regs to enact a rebalance.

Or don't.

Re: vote_rebalance

I'm not certain I'm getting what you're asking.

Are you saying that if >50% execute something like 'vote_rebalance' in the console, the teams would be reshifted?
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Yeah. The algorithm would take the existing teams, assume that the known players are correctly balanced, and consider that a majority of the unknown players on the opposing team are skilled, and that a majority of the unknown players on the voter's team are nub.

These assumptions would not be carried over game to game, as they are likely to be aggregately accurate, but very imprecise. Additionally, if they were carried over, teams could manually manipulate player rankings, which would be very *bad*.

PS: I still advocate using K:D ratios instead of games won for the initial algorithm. However my focus here is on rebalancing, not balancing in the first place. Hence this is a postscript.

Comment

So...the only thing it would rebalance is ? marks?

Comment

In theory it should only have to rebalance ? marks because the known players should already be balanced by the plugin.

With that said, you imply a good point; it's only theory. And it may prove to be that in practice, it doesn't hold up.

You could do it either way. At this point I'm not sure it would actually provide any benefit to reshuffle the known players. But that could easily be completely wrong.

Comment

The way I hear it, mid-game imbalances are very rarely due to unknown players being too good and stacking one team. Rather, they are due to factors such as players switching teams, joining, and/or leaving mid game so the original player-balance is no longer valid.

Swapping ?s around would do very little to solve that, and would disrupt any lifeforms/equipment they were carrying.

Comment

My opinions -

1. make it only valid to be used during 30sec after the balance command is issued
              2. it shuffles ALL players (I've seen balance not really balance well - incl. "known" players) - basically -- readyroomall; balance
              3. Make it take >50% of the regg'd players hitting the command to work; don't count on '?' knowing what it is or how to use it.
              Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

This isn't something that's needed imo. There's no way to ever properly balance a round. There are way to many factors to consider. Skill, luck, fps, binds, scripts, player's state of mind, condition, yadda yadda yadda...
                If anything, continue discussion on the current method of balancing the teams. No need to create yet another command.
                birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

I thought I posted something about it only taking registered players' votes into consideration, and obviously it would only work in the first few seconds of a game. You might want a max rebalance count of 1, for the reasons Wuss posted, but honestly:

Originally posted by ImAWuss View Post
                  This isn't something that's needed imo. There's no way to ever properly balance a round. There are way to many factors to consider. Skill, luck, fps, binds, scripts, player's state of mind, condition, yadda yadda yadda...
                  If anything, continue discussion on the current method of balancing the teams. No need to create yet another command.

So since we can't do it perfectly, we shouldn't do it at all? This suggestion solves a completely different problem than balance seeks to. The balance command fixes known players to correct teams, while this handles unknown players. It's night and day, and improving balance won't do anything to what vote_rebalance would address.

Comment

the unknown players are only unknown for a few games, the more less you mess with those first few games the more accurate later balances will be wrt that player. if they're uber good, in a few games they'll have the record to prove it. since we dont have any way of knowing ourselves how good they will or wont be, it'll take nearly that long to have any idea how good they are, so it doesnt seem like there is enough of a need to justify it. JMO though.

Comment

Not sure if I'm following this correct, but why if 2 functions were added into 'balance' ?

The first would be the normal balance we have now, the second function executed immediately would be the spreading of question marks across both teams after the initial balance? Even if that is the case, players don't like being switched multiple times unless it can be done near-instantaneously.
                      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

which would be impossible if it were a vote.

Comment

Sometimes the problem is that '?' get stacked on one side (sometimes the '?' are all REALLY GOOD and sometimes they're REALLY BAD).

Sometimes the problem is that the balance plugin really does stack all the good players (even those without '?') one one side. This second case is the one I see "vote_rebalance" fixing. Not the first.
                          Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

My faith that this will decrease the amount of "stacks" bitching in the long term (neverminding the short term) is quite low.
                            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X