Time limit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time limit

We had a 45 minute first half of a captains game today on that map with fusion and satcomm and it was a whole lot of fun and just as marines got the aliens down to one hive, game was over.

Would like to hear people's opinions on extending the timelimit to at least 60 minutes, or getting rid of the timelimit.

Or, possibly implementing a plugin so at (timelimit-5) minutes, every player is polled to extend the map by another 15 minutes. The polling can be a simple 1/2 or y/n, or something where a player would type /extend and it works like a votemap.

Re: Time limit

You certainly don't want to pop up a vote in the middle of such a heated game - it's too distracting. If you really want to play another round on the same map, just votemap it back and turn on captains again.

Comment

I like the 45min mark personally, it adds tension to the game if its been going on that long marines\aliens still have a hope of holding out until they might win by score.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

It's not judged by score. Aliens win period. And yoshi I don't think the problem was the map changing it was the fact that after a long epic game that the marines had finally broken open and taken the advantage; an anti-climatic ending occured. The time expired (with mp_tournamentmode 1 there is a time limit on the round).

I thought the standard was 50 minutes?

Comment

The standard is 45 IIRC, and timelimits are won by whichever team collected the most res.

45 minutes is a LOT of time to dedicate to a game
          [volun2]
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
            The standard is 45 IIRC, and timelimits are won by whichever team collected the most res.

45 minutes is a LOT of time to dedicate to a game
            Agreed on all counts.

I've created captains strategies around dragging my enemy through 45 minutes of low-res situations, just to win on res count alone, without ever destroying a base/hive.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

In response to the game micro was referring to, the aliens totally quit defending the two hives at about the 42 minute mark because we knew the marines had won the res war. We could have easily kept two hives until the end.

Although I had picked the alien team, I'm not quite sure I would have voted towards extending that particular round. Those get exhausting for us old folks. :p
              aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Lol, from what i saw of that game... The aliens kept up brutal attacks and all, its hard to think that you just gave up. I mean, that was one of THE most balanced captains games i've ever seen. And thats whats fun. Lets hit the 45 min mark a few more times before asking to change it.

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to lead you to believe we gave up.

We left the hives undefended to concentrate on marine start.
                  aka Roland tHTG

Comment

I'm also in favor of leaving the timelimit as-is. That game could have easily gone on for 20 or 30 more minutes, and the outcome would have still been the same - Marine Win.

After a round that long I feel frazzled and frequently will quit just to take a break and let my brain come back down. If that had been a standard game and not the 1st half of a captains round, I definitely would have gone to bed after that.

That said one of the best things about that round last night was that the 2nd half ended up being really good as well. One of the very few times I've seen a forced ad-hoc relocation work to the Marines advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopStick View Post
                      It's not judged by score. Aliens win period. And yoshi I don't think the problem was the map changing it was the fact that after a long epic game that the marines had finally broken open and taken the advantage; an anti-climatic ending occured. The time expired (with mp_tournamentmode 1 there is a time limit on the round).

I thought the standard was 50 minutes?
                      Oh right, duh. I forgot about that.

I'm still in favor of leaving the time limit as is. After 45 minutes, it's time to start a new game IMO.

Comment

What objections are there to a /extend type plugin, where the majority of the server needs to type '/extend' in teamsay? The limit would be five minutes from the end where anyone could type /extend and would work exactly like a vote map.

It seems like for a lot of people, it would rarely go through, but the game in question I have a feeling it would have. I am sure the vast majority of games that even get to the 40 minute mark wouldn't even be extended...but occasionally, I think it would be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by micr0c0sm View Post
                          What objections are there to a /extend type plugin, where the majority of the server needs to type '/extend' in teamsay? The limit would be five minutes from the end where anyone could type /extend and would work exactly like a vote map.

It seems like for a lot of people, it would rarely go through, but the game in question I have a feeling it would have. I am sure the vast majority of games that even get to the 40 minute mark wouldn't even be extended...but occasionally, I think it would be worth it.
                          Originally posted by JazzX
                          After a round that long I feel frazzled and frequently will quit just to take a break and let my brain come back down. If that had been a standard game and not the 1st half of a captains round, I definitely would have gone to bed after that.
                          I think that's the answer most anyone will give.
                          Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X