captain's games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• captain's games

We had a full night of captain's games last night on one of the servers last night. Many fun games were played, including one long back and forth round that lasted the time limit.

I do have a suggestion or two regarding the captain's plugin though.

Could it be possible that when the captain's plugin is on, the server has a variable in the name to show that the captain's plugin is active? I'm thinking it could be similar to how it used to have a number for the slot bump. This way, players who would rather play captain's (or not) know that they are being played on one server and not the other and choose which server to join accordingly?

Also, would it be a good idea to implement a control that tried to keep the ? players to a minimum when captain's games are being played? I know there are a lot of good players who for whatever reason don't rid themselves of the ?, but frequent the server enough and are good enough players to get picked early.

Also, it's often thought (not fair, but true) that a ? player who's name isn't easily recognized is not as likely to be a highly skilled, motivated, or team player. This creates a potluck effect when the ? players get bumped for a SM. The ? could be replaced by a much better SM soon after starting, or he could last both rounds and have to be coached the entire game.

Just wanted to chime in with these questions on the captain's games, since they have been some of the most fun (as well as sometimes the most lopsided) games I've enjoyed on TG.
    aka Roland tHTG

Re: captain's games

You can externally determine tell if a server is in captains mode by querying the mp_tournamentmode CVAR, which is normally 0 (1 during captains games). Most server browsers allow for this type of querying (example), as do many websites (example).

The ? problem is easily solved socially. Captains games are something the humans are well-advised to reserve for moments when most everyone on the server is known, most especially by the captains.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I think Roland is wanting a solution to a ? that is very well known and a good player - getting bumped by SMs can often skew captains picks (both in positive and negative ways) and influence the outcome of the game.

People have mentioned passwording the server during captains' rounds.

Honestly, from a "TG" sense, you never want to lock SMs out of their servers and passwording the server probably won't happen. Having (good or bad) ? players on the server is just something you'll have to take into account when picking teams.

It would be nice if SMs, before they join a server, spectate it a bit in HLTV to see what's going on before they decide to join in. That's a courtesy I can do nothing but ask for - and you'll never hear me complain if they don't. Afterall, I play on their buck.
      Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Right Stupid.

And I knew there were ways you could see the server info from 3rd party tools, but i really seriously doubt almost anyone would do that to check for a captain's, except maybe on Sat. night, and then only if both servers were full.
        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Well regulars (non-SMs but no ?) can get kicked too, but it doesn't seem to effect it much and most of the time they'll wait to join till later or leave, no problem with that really.

Comment

If you have a ? player on the team that gets kicked and theyre a long time player of the server, it's their own fault for not registering. If you have a registered player who gets kicked while theres ?'s in the server, its their fault for not being willing to be a GB user. Guys, we all read the forums and we know the deal. We try to educate people in the server as best we can. But if they want to be lazy, its their own doing when they get slotted. As far as capt's games go, best advice i can give is to pick ?'s last and dont base your team strategy around them in any way. Get in the mindset that you're probably going to lose them at some point, so dont have them playing a vital role.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid View Post
              Afterall, I play on their buck.
              I never thought of it that way when you were SM and me a non-SM :P

Comment

Originally posted by Turbinator View Post
                I never thought of it that way when you were SM and me a non-SM :P
                I did... more or less.

I tend to give way to the SMs more because they're paying for the server and I'm not.
                Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X