Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Days of the SPF ('seconds-per-frame' for the slower ones) computer come to a close...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Days of the SPF ('seconds-per-frame' for the slower ones) computer come to a close...

Happy panda time here. My older computer can finally be put to rest as an only-for-typing typewriter/PC.

Built my own PC for relatively cheap (equivalent would have been approximately $6000 off of an overpriced place like Alienware...over 2x the cost). Got everything up and running, including Vista (yeah yeah yeah, *Gasp!* *Hiss!* *Boo!* *Shun!* *Hoot hoot hoot!* [last one is an obscure reference]). Vista runs just fine, the problem is the archaic architecture that it is forced to include in its design...but anyways... And despite what those agrestic 'Mac vs. PC' commercials would like to boast, greater security is going to require more work...(granted, greater security is all crap, but, it'll corrall the typical script-jockey).
    Assumedly, I will be able to run NS beyond my magical 10-20fps on 1024x768 and jump to the new upgrade of, well, I don't know what the fps will be, but the resolution will be 1680x1050 on a 2ms refresh, widescreen, dvi-d (dvi-d is essentially HDMI for a television...high-end) LCD monitor. And this monitor...is just...it's just plain lovely. 22'' widescreen is a ridiculously large monitor (in screen size, the weight is probably 1/20th of what would be an equivalent CRT). Granted, I sure hope I can run at least 60fps...especially when BF2 and a few others run pristinely at maximum settings...
    Thing that is quite humorous...this computer runs cooler and quieter than my old one did...those 'bargain' computer cases really do bite you in the future.
    Greater thing is...if I need to upgrade, I simply purchase one of those quad-cores with a 1333mhz fsb (due to come out soon) and another video card for an SLI configuration.

Summation of post? It'll be nice to be able to play again without having to quit in disgust from horrible performance on a game engine more than 10 years old...
    Point of post? Nothin'. Goal was to waste your time and see who actually got to this part. Have to do a little gloating...I pity those who buy through Dell/Gateway/Compost/etc.

Re: Days of the SPF ('seconds-per-frame' for the slower ones) computer come to a clos

Point of post = I have a great computer and you should now proceed to wipe the tears out of your keyboard before they short it oualkjasdfalkjsdfasdfasd.....
    Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Re: Days of the SPF ('seconds-per-frame' for the slower ones) computer come to a clos

TEARS of ENVY OK?!
      Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

What graphics card did you throw in there? What brand monitor?

Sounds fairly similar to what I have/am in process of getting.

Comment

Congrats on your happy return to the gaming world! Now get your skills back up to par and start killing things again.

My computer, which is now about 2 months old was built along the same lines. I spent a teensy bit more than you did (you said 6k was double your price, so I assume 3k) and am running a Quad Core Intel Core2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield and dual Radeon X1950 XTX's. I tested it out and was able to run BF2, BF2142, EvE online, NS, A complete virus scan and a spyware scan simultaneously and my processor load never broke 10%. Custom building your own machine is the way to go. I'll never buy a dell/hp/compaq/name brand prefab again.

Comment

I *boo-urns* your choice to use vista
            Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
              (dvi-d is essentially HDMI for a television...high-end)
              For clarity's sake, DVI-D is not the same as HDMI for a television. Both are digital signals, but that is where the similarity ends. HDMI is required to play encrypted digital content between a source and display. While DVI-D often times may be able to plug into an HDMI-equipped display, it is not HDMI and is not capable of carrying encrypted data (therefore only partially compatible with DVI-D).

Simple explanation:

When the television service providers (cable and satellite) shift their HD content over to an encrypted format, you will NOT be able to display this content on a monitor equipped only with DVI-D. You will need an HDMI equipped monitor to display encrypted content.

Sorry for the correction, but I'd rather people not be under the impression that DVI-D and HDMI are the same and that they can go save some bucks buying DVI-D rather than HDMI and will end up with the same usefulness in their display devices.
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

More on topic: What are the specs of the machine you actually built? Other than the monitor?

Comment

Well, when I use the word "essentially," I typically mean: "...a relatively simple and easy-to-relate-to example would be..." Granted, I suppose that is a little off.
                  As it stands right now, I know there are better parts and worse parts I could have gone with on this PC. I'm sure the mobo will make some people cringe, but hey, I'm all right with it.

--------------------------
                  Juicy Bits

Motherboard: Asus Striker Extreme 680i <-- Yeah yeah, overpriced compared to some rivals, but at that point, it's a difference of $100 and preferences.

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E6600 2.4ghz <-- At the time, $300 for the next step up to a 2.6ghz Core2 and $800 for the earliest QuadCore <-- Not worth it until 1333mhz FSB processors come available.

Memory: 2 Corsair Twin2x2048mb 800mhz DDR2DIMM <-- Total of 4gb's of RAM. Unfortunately, Vista (ironically enough, with its touting of running 4gb's...) AND the mobo BIOS have issues running more than 2gb's of this particular RAM, but if you lower the clockspeed, it'll work just fine (running at 533mhz and reading at 3.25gb of RAM right now for stability until next mobo bios revision fix arrives).

Storage: 4 Seagate 250GB SATA 7200RPM <-- I would have this entire setup as Raid 0+1, however, Vista is being retarded about it. Right now, I use one drive for Vista, Office, that kind of stuff. The second drive is used as ultra-compressed backup. The third and fourth drives are set in a Raid 0 configuration for games, graphics editing, that kind of stuff.

Graphics: Asus EN8800GTX <-- No ATI v. nVidia flamewarring...I know a number of people who swore off nVidia that either did or almost went back because of this card.

Sound: Creative Labs Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality <-- Better cards available, yeah, but sound is sound 9 times out of 10. It's also not like this sound card is going to plague my home or chop off my feet and right hand or something.

Drives: a) 3.5'' Floppy Drive <-- When you need it, you need it. $3 isn't a detriment, either.
                  b) 18x DVD+/-RW

Input: a) Logitech G5 Laser Mouse <-- Fear m4h weight-balancing system! lol
                  b) Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard <-- Nothing quite like having the function of a multimedia keyboard with the possibility of *54 more keys available for use.

Monitor: Samsung 226BW

Case: Thermaltake Armor <-- Has a 25cm fan on the side panel. This tower runs this system cooler and more quietly than my old system ever did.

PSU: 850w Thermaltake Toughpower <-- Overkill for one 8800gtx, but for when I decide to add a second, I won't need a new PSU, assumedly.

Vista Ratings (Rated from 1.0 to 5.9)

Processor: Subscore of 5.3 "Calculations per second"
                  Memory (RAM): 4.8 (note: this is on muted performance until support is available)
                  Graphics: 1.0 "Desktop permance for Windows Aero" Maybe because I don't have Aero running? Who knows...
                  Gaming Graphics: 1.0 "3D business and gaming graphics performance" Probably related to that DirectX8 thing. Who knows...
                  Primary hard disk: 5.8 "Disk data transfer rate"

*-------------------------LOLWHOOPS
                  NEW Vista Ratings (I was a moran, sorry)

Processor: 5.3
                  Memory (RAM): 5.4
                  Graphics: 5.9
                  Gaming graphics: 5.9
                  Primary hard disk: 5.8

Yeah, the weakest part is my processor, that's expected. And the RAM is lower than it should be because of driver issues. AND I'm certain the hard disk rating would be a 5.9 if I could install Vista to a full Raid0+1 configuration.

If I decide to install the 3DMark06 that came with the video card, I'll post those as well, but the likelihood of that being installed may be small.
                  Last edited by Flarfignuggen; 03-27-2007, 12:44 PM. Reason: Vista Performance Retest///Math Failure: 18x3 = 54, not 64...///Agh, Gr4mm4r f4ilur3!

Comment

You've got yourself quite a nice system there! My machine at home, A P4 Core 2, has been misbehaving the past couple nights. I'm actually looking right now at spec'ing out a new Core 2 Duo E6600 myself!

Excellent choice on the drives, too!

Comment

You will probably have problems running NS in Vista. I keep an XP partition for the sole purpose of playing NS. The gamma ramp does not work in Vista, and the commander interface will be blacked out if you don't set gamma_ramp 0 in the console.

Performance may be poor as well. I'm running a setup very similar to yours, and have performance problems with NS in vista. I recommend setting up an XP partition for NS, but try it in Vista and see what happens. (All other games should be fine in Vista)
                      LLJK-Domino in game

Comment

I have no problem running NS in vista.

Comment

No debillitating issues here. The only real problem I've run into is that NS apparently doesn't support a 1680x1050 resolution (textures and everything are all out-of-whack, that, and it complains about the resolution).

Comment

I'm running ns in 1680x1050 on my 22' widescreen; no issues.

may wanna see about the video drivers; i know I had issues with it with XP64, but on old XP, no problems.
                            sigpic

Comment

More than anything, if I run it in compatibility mode, it'll probably be just fine.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X