Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incentive for ?'s to register and become part of the community.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incentive for ?'s to register and become part of the community.

I think there should be some sort of incentive for ?'s to register, and maybe become a part of the community. I like the old points system we had, which did not kick registered players over ?'s as often or at all(i do not remember).

Personally, when I am on a team dominated by ?'s I feel we are at a disadvantage already. Especially since registered players have the same chance of being kicked as a ?. Which I think is slightly unfair, as registered players have typically contributed slightly more to the community, and typically have taken a much higher interest in being a teamplayer.

Maybe its to try and get more registered players to donate, I don't think it is so, but that is the feeling I get from it.

And when it comes to players, I don't mind helping one ? learn how to play the game that we play, but a team full of ?'s is much more frustrating in my experience.

Part of this topic rambles on, but I think the idea is that getting ?'s to register and indoctrinated into the rules of the server, the community should be promoted in some form other than just socially.

Re: Incentive for ?'s to register and become part of the community.

This has been covered twice in the last week according to my count. Registering simply gets rid of the ?. Opting in for GB access gives you the "incentives" you seek. I see no reason to give any special perks to people who dont want to contribute to keeping the server up to par, and people who choose not to opt-in are those people. As i stated in a previous post, opting in takes 5 seconds. using gb takes the same amount of time should you ever be required to use it. Theres no money required and its not that big of a deal.

Whining about getting kicked at the same rate as ?'s just because you cant find it in you to help out the place you like to play is just a waste of time.

Comment

Ferris he isn't whining. Assuming they can put up with the hudhints, the ?'s don't have any visible reason to reg anymore.

Comment

I'd think that getting rid of the ? would be plenty. Back when I first joined up I didnt know about points or anything, but I still registered and have been annoying the crap out of you all ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by freebirdpat View Post
          Personally, when I am on a team dominated by ?'s I feel we are at a disadvantage already.
          I found the problem. Turns out it's not the ? players but your perception of them.

I think the easiest solution would be to remove the ? icons from the scoreboard.

Keep harassing them about registering, bring back taglines, do whatever, but putting a ? next to someone's name is just asking for trouble. The current policy of ostracizing new players certainly doesn't give them incentive to register.

Comment

Points system must be fixed! I miss it :( i wish i had a tagline too

Comment

Welcome people. Be social. Create regulars.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

To regulars, that ? has meaning. I don't ask registered players whether they can hear my voice when they join. I do ask ?s that I haven't seen before on multiple occasions. I assume that registered players have read the rules and know them.

So currently, the incentives for ?s to register are that they stop getting annoying popup messages and questions from regulars. I don't really think that's enough for many people to bother. Registration alone should provide a measure of protection against being slotkicked between not being registered and opting into passgb. When the server is full, I'd rather play with people who know the rules, whether or not they want to take on the responsibility to actively enforce them.

One last thing: Nowhere in the primer nor in the rules and announcements board does it mention passgb. I think it would make sense if someone copied the first post of the 'gb revamp' sticky thread over to the rules and announcements board.

Comment

If they want to be part of the community, they reg. If they don't they don't. There should not be any special incentives to reg. I can elaborate but I think its pretty clear.

As wyz said, help create the community.

Comment

One incentive is the fact that they will burn first, thus saving them from the horrors of witnessing the devastation that will be wrought unto this plane...
                    Last edited by Iceberg; 03-29-2007, 08:20 PM.
                    USAR

Comment

Originally posted by squeak View Post
                      One incentive is the fact that they will burn first, thus saving them from the horrors of witnessing the devastation that will be wrought unto this plane...

Once again, squeak steers us off into the netherworld.

Comment

How about we change everyone who isn't a member's name to [NO-CD] "name" and have this crazy robotic hl1 voice go "Please use CD here" every 30 FREAKING SECONDS?!?!
                        /flashback
                        >.<

-Zephyr
                        You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                        We are not a single game.
                        We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                        We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
                          How about we change everyone who isn't a member's name to [NO-CD] "name" and have this crazy robotic hl1 voice go "Please use CD here" every 30 FREAKING SECONDS?!?!
                          /flashback
                          >.<

-Zephyr
                          I think I would work to develop a machine that would send a reverberation command through the internet lines to the servers that try that again, causing a massive sonic disruption wave that implodes the computer and anyone caught within 25 meters of the effect.

If you can't tell, I really hated that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
                            I think I would work to develop a machine that would send a reverberation command through the internet lines to the servers that try that again, causing a massive sonic disruption wave that implodes the computer and anyone caught within 25 meters of the effect.
                            well...id certainly call that plan a...i like it ;)
                            Adren[c9] ::

-Proxx (C9H13NO3)
                            Proximity Technologies

Comment

I registered because I don't like being seen as an unknown. I also just came back to NS when I found the TG servers.

I had been playing in pubs on dialup and had never seen this level of professionalism and teamwork in NS before. I had to re-learn a lot of things, and I'm still not that good, but I like the challenge of trying to keep up with the other regulars.

I have felt more welcome since I registered, even though I still rarely hear comments of "why does boogalo have a shotgun," but that's an issue for a differrent thread.

All that happened when I registered is the ? went away. But it still makes me feel like I need to work harder to bring my play up to the standards of the server. I would hope that is the same for most people who are new, but if we have too many incentives to register, they will join only for those incentives, and not to be part of the community.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X