trochus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trochus

wanna put it on the server, if not in the map rotation available for admins to change to it?

http://www.preverts-lair.com/ns_trochus2g.zip

http://ansl.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=481

I think we would have some valuable map input.

It also looks like a LOT of fun,(even if it was designed by a five year old) :D.

Re: trochus

Dear god no, this map is garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Maps and Atlases View Post
      Dear god no, this map is garbage.
      Maps, try providing reasons why this map is "garbage". Your post is garbage without a reason.

Downloaded. I'll be checking this map out.
      birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

I think this map would play out well. Like is mentioned on the ansl forums, the vents need to be adjusted. Having all 3 hives on the bottom of the map could be interesting...

1 1/2 thumbs up. :madsmile:
        birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Personally, I want to play this map a lot.

First impressions without playing: Most balanced 10v10 map ever. I can see actual small battles going down all over the map and changing the comm game completely. Almost every room has great ambush spots for aliens and marines. Every hive has good (balanced) seige rooms.

Fading looks real hard, communication and parasiting look even more important than ever.

It *looks* like garbage, and was probably made by a five year old, but I want to play it.

Comment

Has an interesting design, visually it could use some work. I'm not against playing it for a few rounds.
            Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
            Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Looks pretty good to me, both in design and visuals.

I'd love to play it BUT it seems i get performance issues in it. My fps go back and forth from 50 to 90 in milliseconds, just standing still. Maybe like if I didn't have enough RAM (and please don't tell me I need 1GB to play a 9 years old game).

Same thing happened to me in ns_prometheus, and I don't think I'm alone in this, that map was removed from ns 3.2 final for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by lagarto View Post
                Looks pretty good to me, both in design and visuals.

I'd love to play it BUT it seems i get performance issues in it. My fps go back and forth from 50 to 90 in milliseconds, just standing still. Maybe like if I didn't have enough RAM (and please don't tell me I need 1GB to play a 9 years old game).

Same thing happened to me in ns_prometheus, and I don't think I'm alone in this, that map was removed from ns 3.2 final for a reason.

It not your fault, but I think it needs to have some sort of optimization run on it.

I think there must be an optimization setting somewhere, as I was testing a map that had less on screen then some of the other maps we play often, yet i was getting less then 20 fps. ( vs the ~90 i get on all classic ns maps)
                Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

+1

Comment

I've uploaded this to the server as a custom map. Map name is ns_trochus2g.

EDIT:

Just got done playing 2 rounds on it. Map appears to be far too marine friendly (wide open spaces, not enough cover for aliens even in hives, not a lot of useful vents), and the bottom right hive only has one exit.
                    Last edited by aeroripper; 04-06-2007, 09:46 PM.

Comment

atrochus

I will never play this map willingly again. If for no other reason than because of station hive, but barring that i think both the other hives are enough reason not to play it too.

Comment

New maps, especially when they aren't just reworks of old maps, often demand a different style of play for at least one of the teams, most often the aliens. Many new maps seem rine-friendly at first due to the fact they dont often have to change thier style of play, maybe some tech but thats usually the comm's job.

Please give it more than two rounds for a total 'this is a crappy map' opinion (remember the machina threads!).

That said, it may very well be the crappiest map ever, but thanks for adding it to the rotation as a custom.

Comment

There's a reason that hives should never have only one exit. After two games of aliens starting in station hive, and two easy marine victories from covering one room, I'd be perfectly happy never seeing this map again. I'm not opposed to new maps, and I'd be happy to see more on the server, but this one needs alot more thought put into balance factors before it will be playable. Normally I'd want to play a map considerably more before judging it, but this one just doesn't meet the minimum standard to be ready for testing.

Comment

That said, it may very well be the crappiest map ever, but thanks for adding it to the rotation as a custom.
                            It is not in the mapcycle.

Comment

I played this map on a few different servers last night and wow, it's bad.
                              -The vent system needs a LOT of work.
                              -The hive designs are horrid. One exit from a hive? No way.
                              -Marines have pretty much a straight, unobstructed path to any of the three hives from MS. This makes any kind of rush insanely easy.
                              -Way too many wide open spaces with no cover for aliens. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Micro, you used the "adjusting the strategy" argument, which doesnt fit here. You simply cannot adjust any strategy to enable you to escape from a one-exit hive that the marines are camping in full force. Yeah, we do remember the machina threads, but machina was also going through a new version about once a week based on the feedback, and what we finally got was a very well balanced map (too large and cluttered for some people's taste, but you cant deny it's well designed). If they manage to do the same thing with trochus, good. But in its current form, it's impossible to get a decent game out of without the alien team being ridiculously stacked, and even then its a tough sell.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X