Parasited Marine Enhancer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parasited Marine Enhancer

Do we want this plugin on the NS server?

Aliens see parasited marines with the Scent of Fear sprite so that you can tell the difference between parasited buildings and parasited marines.
    http://www.modns.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=375
    Yes
    48.28%
    No
    17.24%
    I don't care.
    34.48%
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Parasited Marine Enhancer

I don't see any real benefit other than being able to count parasited marines with a passing glance.

Moving: marine
    Stationary: building

I don't care either way.

Comment

I voted no. I dont think that the aliens should have every scrap of info handed to them on a silver platter so easilly.

The marines have to rely on a comm or MT ( which is res ) for thier intel while the aliens rely on scouting and parasite ( both free ).

Make the aliens work a little bit for thier intel.

Comment

It's intel the aliens already have, it just allows them to interpret it easier. For those who are so expertly able to see moving parasites at a glance then it won't do anything but add a little convenience, but it helps newer players. More importantly it helps streamlines alien communication; again, it doesn't add any new information, it just helps the aliens share it with eachother, something which can be difficult especially for players new to the server.

Comment

I vote "Don't Care" because I see no personal benefit in it. Does it take up many system resources? We're approaching plug-in overload, especially testing new ones, that debugging becomes hectic and interactions may be less than desirable.

Comment

Originally posted by tycho
            I voted no. I dont think that the aliens should have every scrap of info handed to them on a silver platter so easilly.

The marines have to rely on a comm or MT ( which is res ) for thier intel while the aliens rely on scouting and parasite ( both free ).

Make the aliens work a little bit for thier intel.
            Seconding tycho's notions.

Especially in light of the unchained chambers, alien intel would be boosted a little too much with this.
            [volun2]
            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I voted yes but after some thinking I would say no.
              RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
              TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
              "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
              "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

I'm not really sure where you guys are seeing this as being too powerful. It's the same parasite, it does the exact same thing. 90% of the time you can tell when a parasite is a marine because it's moving or from its location, I will admit that. This plugin just makes that information a little more user friendly. Ultimately it gives the aliens no significant gameplay perks and couldn't possibly overpower them.

What it does do is help the aliens communicate with each other. Wyz made a valid comparison to the chamber-count plugin earlier tonight; aliens were able to communicate the number of chambers that were available, but it was just an unnecessary inconvenience. With the plugin, that's one less small piece of information that aliens need to go out of their way to share with eachother and instead it's now provided on their HUD. It's the same with parasite. The hive sight is there to facilitate the sharing of information between aliens. Aliens could very well just keep tabs on everything without any of those icons and tell their teammates everything but that would make coordinating the team significantly harder.

The aliens are a hive mind, they're supposed to be linked such that they instinctively share all of this information. Remember when any marine within sight of an alien showed up as parasited? That sort of thing. Sure that alien could have just told everybody "There are # marines here!" but that feature just made it simpler. With this plugin, the pointless task of staring at a parasite sprite to see if it moves a little bit is made easier, and more importantly the teamwork of the aliens just comes more naturally. Isn't that exactly what we want, for this server especially? Why is it that you guys think we should be intentionally leaving in obstacles to teamwork rather than trying to simplify it?

Comment

Originally posted by Zek
                  It's the same parasite, it does the exact same thing.
                  If this were true, you wouldn't be asking for a plugin.
                  Originally posted by Zek
                  The aliens are a hive mind, they're supposed to be linked such that they instinctively share all of this information. With this plugin, the pointless task of staring at a parasite sprite to see if it moves a little bit is made easier, and more importantly the teamwork of the aliens just comes more naturally. Isn't that exactly what we want, for this server especially? Why is it that you guys think we should be intentionally leaving in obstacles to teamwork rather than trying to simplify it?
                  I see this as a valid argument.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Zek
                    90% of the time you can tell when a parasite is a marine because it's moving or from its location, I will admit that. ... Ultimately it gives the aliens no significant gameplay perks and couldn't possibly overpower them.
                    It's the other 10% of the time that makes the argument for me. Upon reflection, I guess my main beef is that the value added is so minimal, I have to wonder why we need to install a plugin in the first place.
                    [volun2]
                    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

The same reason we need the chamber count, or /res, or fixed waypoints.

Comment

Originally posted by Zek
                        The same reason we need the chamber count, or /res, or fixed waypoints.
                        None of those are needed. But some are warranted more than others. The chamber count and /res helps cut down on voice chatter asking for information that should be easily available. Res count also helps to know what alien is whoring their res and makes admining easier. "Bill has 90 res and won't communicate, boot his sorry butt." "Bill, you've got 90 res, drop the hive please."

The waypoint fix is not needed, but it fixes a bug in the original coding. I have derived no benefit from it being used.

Offtopic: I would be much more interested in a mod that makes marines easier to see when you have SOF. It's an issue mostly in combat in dark rooms where I have SOF but it cuts out when the marine gets closer. I get owned by anyone who has their gamma jacked up to ungodly amounts. I figure just making the marine model glow red would work well.

Marine RTs and Marines are about the only thing that get parasited. I know where all the RTs are located, so anything that's not where an RT should be can shoot back at me and I adjust my tactics accordingly.

For the record: I have never heard someone ask "Hey, is that blip a marine or building." I just don't see a need to bog the server down with a mod that will give no real benefit to the alien team. But judging by the way the votes are going, I would not mind checking it out to see how it works.

Comment

See, I still think that not knowing if its an RT or a marine is part of the game-play balance. It sort of forces the alien team to scout more proactively as well as approaching any blip with caution.

I sort of equate it to changing up motion-tracking to tell you which blip is which life form. There is supposed to be a bit of unpredictability to it in my opinion. I say leave the parasites as it is and force the aliens to continue to scout proactively and act with caution near any parasite blip.

Honestly I couldnt care less if this plugin is enabled. I just want to present another side to the argument that reflects my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edit : though I do want my damn hive sight back!

Comment

The way the game is meant to be played.

Does anyone remember this concept?

There was a whole discussion about this sort of thing in the old forums.

My 2 coppers.
                            I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Originally posted by HSantal
                              The way the game is meant to be played.

Does anyone remember this concept?

There was a whole discussion about this sort of thing in the old forums.

My 2 coppers.
                              The only thing I remember from that discussion is that no one at N42... and I mean no one could answer this question:

Who decides how the game is meant to be played? :/

It was that very discussion that kinda made me lose interest in that whole motto. It might as well be

Play the game the way I want to play it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X