Suggestion for captains plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for captains plugin

When you volunteer as a captain you get a little pirate hat attached to your model ( marine, skulk, gorge, lerk, fade, even onos ). I have a feeling people will volunteer more. :D

Re: Suggestion for captains plugin

This being a 3d model or a paint made spray sorta thing?

Wait for LUA and junk so its easier to do in NS2

Comment

Suggestion for a team selection plugin-

/captain -- Volunteer for captain (same as now)
      /team Marine/Alien -- Whichever captain executes it gets the first pick
      /pick [namefragment] -- Used by a captain to make their pick

The picks get sorted out into two displays with the captain's name on top:

Code:
      captain1 [Aliens]                 captain2 [Marines]
                                          *now picking*
      Moon                                Gilligan
      Entwistle                           Mary Ann
      Townshend                           the Professor
      Daltry                              the Skipper
      this would be a result of

captain1: /captain
      captain2: /captain
      captain1: /team Alien
      captain1: /pick Moon
      captain2: /pick Gill
      captain2: /pick Mary
      captain1: /pick Ent
      captain2: /pick Prof
      captain1: /pick Town
      captain2: /pick Skip
      captain1: /pick Daltry

The main goal is to speed up the team selection process without relying on the standard voice/text chat channels that are often cluttered up with unhelpful chatter while teams are being picked.

A problem that might come up would be picks leaving or getting slotkicked and dealing with how the lost pick is reimbursed. The way I've seen it handled in games is the captain who has lost a player is given an immediate compensatory pick upon losing said player. This works fine but I'm not sure if it's possible to program it into a plugin.

Other random things:

Occasionally I see a problem pop up in captains games in regards to starting res and res recovery. In tournament mode, the starting res grace period is completely ignored and if a player gets slotkicked their res will be lost and the resource managment plugin thingy doesn't award the lost res to the replacement. This loss of starting res can be a pretty big handicap to the alien team and the only current workaround is to make sure that any players in jeapordy of getting kicked spend their res as quickly as possible. It is possible to assign ?'s to these kinds of roles but when the server is full of registered players it becomes more of a problem to determine if a player might be slotkicked. Overall, it's not a huge problem but it has been a hindrance at times for teams I've been on.

The number one issue I've seen in captains games can't be solved by any plugin, though. All too often I see people volunteer to captain who aren't ready to accept the burden of actually being a captain. These people usually just want to be in charge of picking a team or else just want to play a captains game when no one else is willing to step forward and captain. The problem is that being a captain entails a certain commitment to making sure the game progresses in a quick and efficient manner.

A captain should realize that they will be expected to put forth a basic strategy for both marine and alien rounds, and that they will need to be the deciding voice on any suggestions offered from their team. Being wishy-washy and letting the planning stage go off on random tangents that are completely unnecessary towards being able to type in "ready" only serves to waste everyones time.

It is also important for a captain to understand how to use the /note plugin, as it is a great aid for keeping track of everyones role. By making sure that each player has an order displayed on their screen, you alleviate the need to constantly go back and explain what each member will be doing.

Everyone playing in a captains game should also realize that the game will get started faster if they are all paying attention and are focused on the task at hand. Having two or three players chatting about random, non-game realated topics while the captain is trying to make picks or communicate a strategy can really bog down the process. Often the players who complain about the time spent waiting around in captains games are the ones who slow it down the most by cluttering up the voice and text chat while the captains are trying to do their job.

I think that captains games would be much more enjoyable for all participants if we all just tried to work together as a community. Come on guys, let's do it!

Comment

Meh why fix what isn't broke.

To explain: Why do we need a plug-in when just telling everyone to shut up for 30 seconds will also work. Useally picking doesn't take very long.

Comment

Work together as a community = good.

Force people to not be morons via a plugin = impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by mr. pie View Post
            Suggestion for a team selection plugin
            I actually already made this plugin.
            Wyz felt that we didn't need a mod to mediate it to further confuse people with syntax and such.

My plugin even locked people out of the team joining until they were picked, at which point it made them unable to return to the readyroom.
            And after the first round ends, everyone goes to the readyroom and can either be on the proper team for the next round, or in the readyroom. Once both captains join their teams, everyone is pulled from the ready room.

Lotsa fun.
            remi.D

Comment

Speeding up the process = good.

I like pie's ideas, if only because typing /pick 3.14 could move that player to the team immediately, and any 'omg is he afk' conversations that waste time can be easily resolved once all the picking is over.

As for the 'not willing to accept responsibility' I think my idea of a pirate hat will put some psychological burden on the captain, and since ( hopefully ) my idea will encourage more people to captain players will start to get confidence and experience captaining.

The plugin shouldn't be able to solve complex issues, but it should facilitate the normal operating procedures as much as possible.

edit: there should be short options too
              /c[aptain]
              /t[eam] a[liens] m[arines]
              /p[ick]

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight View Post
                I actually already made this plugin.
                Wyz felt that we didn't need a mod to mediate it to further confuse people with syntax and such.

My plugin even locked people out of the team joining until they were picked, at which point it made them unable to return to the readyroom.
                And after the first round ends, everyone goes to the readyroom and can either be on the proper team for the next round, or in the readyroom. Once both captains join their teams, everyone is pulled from the ready room.

Lotsa fun.
                Confuse people? Basic syntax is a GOOD idea because it semi-requires that the captain has played multiple captains games before and is familiar with the rights and responsibilities of a captain. Good idea with the team joining too!

Comment

You would have to make a model for the pirate hat, also I don't think an extension of the plugin is needed. Most of the problems you describe can be solved socially as communicative adults.

I do think it'd be funny to have some like a pirate hat sort of deal, but probably not worth the effort involved in getting it working. As for not letting anybody join a team when captains is activated, that would be helpful. The only time I've ever seen a problem with that is when [?] join the game and automatically join a team, then having to force them back to the RR and explain the situation to them. Even then, its typically a minor inconvenience since its almost all regs when we do captains.
                  Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                  Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
                    You would have to make a model for the pirate hat,
                    Aha! something to do. I could probably manage to make a model for a pirate hat, and it would probably be funny as hell to see. I can use 3ds max or maybe maya though i only have PLE of maya.

Comment

do it.

Comment

I would, i could, but i always did hate .qc script, some one would have to find something telling me how to convert it

Comment

I have no idea what .qc is, but i'll paypal you a dollar.

Comment

.qc script is the Half Life (at least HL2) script used to make models translate in to statics, dynamics and other such things, i can make a pirate hat i just don't know how to get it IN there.

Comment

Something like this would probably work best (from the golden marine pack). The two captains would both be yellow themed in the readyroom.

If it was appropriate, some visible difference could extend into the main game, such as the captain staying the yellow color on marines, and the captain being skinned differently for every alien class to define the "leader" alien (from the liquid alien pack):

I'd imagine this would require some sort of plugin, such as whenever /captain is used, it would somehow switch that players model to the yellow one. It'd be interesting to have this extend into the main game along with the different models, but I'd imagine that'd be a lot of work with little payoff.

FWIW, I like the idea of having captains yellow themed or something in the RR. Also it would be interesting to have the captain visually distinct from the other players in game, but likely a lot of work to code.
                              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X