Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amx_page

Hey kids,

In another attempt to make the TG experience the best possible for all players, we proudly introduce the beta trial of our very own amx_page.

To use this handy-dandy command, type the following in the console:
    amx_page "reason"
    ex: amx_page "Johnny Pubber is TKing constantly and should probably be kicked."

Upon doing this, an e-mail will be sent to the NS admins, who will then (theoretically) swoop in and save the day. Please try to be relatively descriptive with your reason. The more we know going in, the better we can help.

A few notes about this:
    • This is beta. We've done a little testing and all, but it may not work as advertised.
    • While this sends messages to the appropriate admins, IT DOES NOT GUARANTEE ADMIN RESPONSE. Contrary to popular belief, we have lives (every now and again, at least).
    • This will only work ONE TIME until an admin resets the system. This is to prevent e-mail spam in the admin's mailboxes from multiple users reporting the same thing.
    • This activity IS LOGGED, and abuse of this command will be dealt with as any similarly immature behavior would be; warnings, kicks, bans, and perhaps the removal of this tool entirely.

Questions? Comments? Bring 'em on.
    Last edited by Pokerface; 02-28-2005, 10:47 AM.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Re: amx_page

Heh, so now when I think of pokerface, I'll think of mighty mouse...

"... HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!"

Good plug in, should make it known in the rules or somthing too, unless it's abused by pubs.

Comment

But what about the temp admin plugin? I thought thats why you guys put that on...

Comment

What's the problem in having this too?

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
          But what about the temp admin plugin? I thought thats why you guys put that on...
          From one of the most prominent non-members, this is a surprising question. :P

Because we're trying to keep the bases covered at all times. Being one of the more public fronts of TG, it's important that the server be as good as it can be. And we don't want a game full of non-paying regulars who enjoy TG and its style of play to be spoiled by a random profanity-spewing, TKing wackjob. Similarly, if the server is acting wonky (high pings all around, goofy typing [ala the last C-D update]), this tool can let an admin know so the problem can be investigated faster.
          [volun2]
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
            play to be spoiled by a random profanity-spewing, TKing wackjob.
            Hey, I said I was sorry, all right!?

This is great, now I can spam "AMX_Page Tell the commander to give me a GL or you're going to ban him." all night long. What's the worst that could happen.....

Comment

From one of the most prominent non-members, this is a surprising question. :P
              Why is it a surprising question?

Comment

Why is it a surprising question?
                Surprising in that you of all people wouldn't see the impact that this could have on a game, since at present you can't kick problem players. (now that you've got a jerb, this could change, however).

Honestly, it's people such as yourself (well, your non-jerb self) that this I was thinking of when I started creating this: non-member regulars who turn to TG for fun, but due to a lack of admin presence at a certain time, who also can have their games flushed down the crapper because of one problem player.
                [volun2]

Comment

Surprising in that you of all people wouldn't see the impact that this could have on a game, since at present you can't kick problem players. (now that you've got a jerb, this could change, however).

Honestly, it's people such as yourself (well, your non-jerb self) that this I was thinking of when I started creating this: non-member regulars who turn to TG for fun, but due to a lack of admin presence at a certain time, who also can have their games flushed down the crapper because of one problem player.
                  I have always seen an admin on (either a straight admin or a paying member with temporary admin privileges). So needing an admin has never really been a problem. Once in awhile there wont be somebody in to handle the problems, but its not big deal because I have also come to accept the fact that not every game is going to be the "bestest game ever". I've come to accept that sometimes a moron is going to come onto the server and ruin it for the team, thats what happens when the server is open to everybody - morons will play. Besides, if the problem player is res whoring and gets kicked with sixty something res, then the damage has already been done. So having an admin on isnt really going to solve the problem.. dont get me wrong, the guy is gone, but he also took the sixty something res with him that the aliens could of used.

Afternoon games for me are always "warm up games" until the real players come on, the people who I actually want to play with (fenix, nothing\faith, paranoid, adj, wyz, you, pete). So I dont take them too seriously. Around 7 Pm EST is when the real games start... everything before that is practice.

Now, if you want to create a pluging that distributes a kicked players res to his team, then I am all for using it. But I just dont see the point in this because by the time you page an admin, he gets the email, and joins the server. The damage is already done. And from when I have noticed, a lot of these morons who join to just ruin their team, only sticks around for 1 map.

Just my 2 dolla bill Ya'll..

Comment

Fair enough. :) For what it's worth, even if it hardly ever sees use, it's relatively light on CPU time.

Now, if you want to create a pluging that distributes a kicked players res to his team, then I am all for using it.
                    Theoretically, CheesyPeteza is working on this one. I haven't seen any action in that thread on modns.org in a while though. Maybe Wyz could poke the thread and see what's up. :)
                    [volun2]

Comment

Man, can't believe some one actually waits to play ns with me, let alone LIKES playing ns games with me. :icon16:

That smiley owns.

(Man, that sentence was poorly consturcted)
                      Last edited by NothingMore.; 06-11-2004, 04:07 PM.

Comment

You can't imagine how surprised I was to read that either oh,
                        "man of a thousand names". :icon_bigg

I do what I can.
                        I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Originally posted by NothingMore.
                          Man, can't believe some one actually waits to play ns with me, let alone LIKES playing ns games with me. :icon16:

That smiley owns.

(Man, that sentence was poorly consturcted)
                          I like you much better when you're on my team though :P

Comment

While Ender makes a good point, there is a broader agenda that is helped (even if only mildly) by this plugin's offering.

Sure, joeIdiot has already ruined this game. But if the rest of the players on the server make a good impression on another visitor on the server, and they like their ping, and the plugins... sometimes all it takes to turn that visitor into a regular is him realizing that, while he can get a low ping and custom plugins anywhere, a strong (much less reliable, MUCH LESS SUMMONABLE) admin presense is much harder to come by. Regulars who appreciate the teamwork and everything else that's second nature here typically become members, which helps the server, and TG, continue to operate... which means I keep my TG Florida timeshare and my "Game Officer of the Month" parking space at TG HQ well-swept (nothing's worse than a dirty parking space, after all).

By looking at the situation from the view of each player on the server, otherwise-overlooked opportunities to make a good impression often present themselves and justify anything you can reasonably do to help yourself toward that goal.

It takes a whole hell of a lot of work to maintain a public server that people actually want to play on. I mention this not because the regulars fail to show their appreciation regularly (you guys are great), but... to see a visitor leave just because they got the wrong idea about the server, and the players who play here, is very frustrating to anyone trying to preserve and grow the interest and activity we're currently fortunate enough to have. So, while removing joeIdiot may not save this game, it may encourage a more intelligent player on the server concurrently to form a positive opinion about the server (and the players who play here).

In other news, I've "reminded" Cheesy about the plugin to distribute a departing alien's resources to his team when he exits the server. He was hesitating to write the plugin, citing concerns that it would frustrate people to return to reconnect and re-join the same game only to find themselves with 0 resources (as opposed to the default behavior of NS, which is to preserve the personal resources for the returning player to have and use). I reminded him that NS is a team game and that, to juxtapose his view, I get frustrated when I know that my forced removal from a game (due to RL) punishes my team economically. In response to this, he has agreed to resume development on the plugin and plans to publicly release it soon.
                            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I like playing against Faith, playing better people always increases your own skill so at least I can tell myself Im getting better!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X