Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: you guys with accurate shotgun 'enhancement'

Well -- so much for the argument and back into meta-argument. I'll join you folks later.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by NothingMore.
    Most claners use them =)
    Yep thats why I dont like them. :icon_cool

Leave a comment:

• Wyzcrak
    replied

Originally posted by Sasuke
    so adj is stretching the truth much too far and making stupid claims.

still, to group a modified crosshair in the same category as an aimbot is pretty silly, don't you think?
    Agreed, Adj is making stupid claims.

There's a difference between saying two things share an attribute and saying two things are each other. Poker said only that both an aimbot and a crosshair "can serve as a crutch for those who lack the desire to spend the time to make themselves better", and this is true without question.

Anyone who wants to read more into that should hold only themselves accountable for the error.

Leave a comment:

• Sasuke
    replied

Originally posted by Pokerface
    Honestly, the more I think about it, the more this crosshair is starting to fall into the same places that an aimbot hack is: it can serve as a crutch for those who lack the desire to spend the time to make themselves better.
    so adj is stretching the truth much too far and making stupid claims.

still, to group a modified crosshair in the same category as an aimbot is pretty silly, don't you think? if oh, a certain someone from georgia were to read it too quickly, it would almost seem as if the same qualities of the aimbot apply to the crosshair, i.e. it improves your aim drastically.

Leave a comment:

• Wyzcrak
    replied

Originally posted by Zek
    For this entire thread you've just been denying facts that make your argument look bad, and then trying to turn the debate onto something else when we call you on it. If you'd put away your pride and acknowledge that scripts clearly give you an advantage, however small, maybe we could actually make progress with this argument. It's a waste of all of our time to try to convince you of something that you and I both know is fact. Can we stick to something that's actually debatable without covering it up with misleading arguments that do nothing but confuse the issue?
    Very, very, very well stated.

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
    Did someone in this thread honestly claim that the modified shotgun crosshair moved on its own accord and aimed FOR YOU? Or is this based on conversations you've had elsewhere?
    Well?

Leave a comment:

• NothingMore.
    replied

Originally posted by Emanon
    Crosshairs are one thing, eh whatever, but those lighting effects that nothing has >hax :icon19:
    Most claners use them =)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Crosshairs are one thing, eh whatever, but those lighting effects that nothing has >hax :icon19:

Leave a comment:

• Sasuke
    replied

my position is simply that scripts cause a slight imbalance, but it's nothing compared to the skill differences between people, or even situational differences.

Leave a comment:

• NothingMore.
    replied

Originally posted by Pokerface
    Honestly, the more I think about it, the more this crosshair is starting to fall into the same places that an aimbot hack is: it can serve as a crutch for those who lack the desire to spend the time to make themselves better.
    ^o^
    I think here is where adj is talking about
    L(^o^)z)z)z =3=3=3

Man, when I posted my crosshair this was only like 3 pages or so... Quite the disscussion.
    Last edited by NothingMore.; 06-22-2004, 09:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Wyzcrak
    replied

Originally posted by TheAdj`
    Like saying the corrected shotgun crosshair is a form of aimbot.
    Did someone in this thread honestly claim that the modified shotgun crosshair moved on its own accord and aimed FOR YOU? Or is this based on conversations you've had elsewhere?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

All I have to say is:
    .rar

Leave a comment:

• TheAdj`
    replied

I think that when you reach the point to where you're operating outside the bounds of the intentions of the developers you are entering the forbidden zone. My beef is people that constantly knock such additions as ways to improve people's game simply by making them. Like saying the corrected shotgun crosshair is a form of aimbot. It doesn't aim for you, nor does a 3jump bhop for you. They are ways to further improve the already skilled player within an acceptable limit. Once you reach the realm of exploits that aren't looked upon by the devs as being helpful, then you can start to have a discussion on what should be allowed vs what shouldn't be allowed. The pistol was locked at 5 shots per second to allow it to be scripted with reason. Other things were modified (the commander interface) to be completely unscriptable. You can't do jack with the commander interface in terms of scripting. You can't even make a script that does the function of the commander hotkeys. This game was made to allow only certain things to be scripted, and saying it wasn't the intention of the devs to allow something is pretty foolish in terms of scripting.

People will always think scripting is cheap, and that games should be played pure. Whatever, that's their opinion, and no one's going to change it. Let them play with those awful stock crosshairs and menu driven interface in a fps. That's their option. I just enjoy my option to script whatever I want, and use any reasonable modification that I want. Skilled players are only helped more by modifications, and you can only get so far on modifications alone. You reach a point when your skill has to do the job for you, not your scripts and alterations.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by _Ender_
    wow... this is way off the crosshair issue...
    Actually it's not. It's totally about the crosshairs, among other things -- I think we're just now coming to the end of the meta-debate (and possibly the meta-meta-debate).

Thanks for the closer Zek ---

so in games we should be pragmatists - the "client-side" modification should be judged based on its effects in the game, right? on its extension of something that could already be done? That is - if it makes "convenient" certain things (hopping, pistoling, knowing where to aim) that are, at least practically possible without the "extension" they're "OK" -- but if they push to "outside of practical," say aimbotting - that's bad.

Had to be a moralist, I suppose...

Leave a comment:

• _Ender_
    replied

wow... this is way off the crosshair issue...

Leave a comment:

• Zek
    replied

Originally posted by TheAdj`
    Scripts don't give people that suck the ability to suddenly not suck. A 3jump script won't allow some pubnub to bhop.
    Again, a straw man. Nobody said they did. Nobody is claiming that scripts are some secret method of churning out hordes of superplayers who can bunnyhop without thinking twice and pinpoint anything with 100% accuracy. They give an advantage, and the argument is whether or not it is an unfair or harmful one. While it is true that the effectiveness of these improvements is completely up for debate, I don't think it really matters in the long run.

The real issue that is at the heart of every scripting debate is when improving your game with "clientside modifications," which if you want to take it literally spans from everything to binds to hacks, is justifiable and when it isn't. Obviously nobody is going to say that rebinding jump to the right mouse button is bad, and obviously nobody is going to defend the use of hacks. Somewhere between the two there is a line; where is it? I don't think the magnitude of the improvement is important(good rates probably help more than a pistol script does) as much as the intent and the nature of its function. Early in the thread I said that ideally I'd draw the line at scripts that make game functions easier than they were intended to be whereas clientside fixes of bugs or mistakes is more acceptable. That's the sort of thing we should be trying to establish.

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X