Improving voicecomm over wireless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving voicecomm over wireless

I've recently switched to a wireless connection, and last night some people had trouble hearing me because my mic was choppy. I checked the connection, and the signal strength was low, but most of the time it stayed at 54Mbps. Even when it dropped to 36Mbps I didn't notice a difference in gameplay.

Last week when I didn't have my wireless antenna, I used a wired connection to my laptop and shared its internet connection. Its wireless card is a little stronger, and I don't remember anyone complaining about my mic. However, I'd rather not get it out every time I want to play NS.

Is there any way I can improve upon the choppiness of my mic through changing settings? I can't move my desktop nor the router. Would building a cantenna help at all?

Re: Improving voicecomm over wireless

If your cl_cmdrate isn't already 100, set it to that. I'm no HL expect, but cl_cmdrate somehow affects the rate at which your client sends data (commands? "cmd"? I dunno.) to the server, and increasing that rate seems to help get the voice data out (to the server, and, in turn, your team).
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi MCF View Post
      I've recently switched to a wireless connection, and last night some people had trouble hearing me because my mic was choppy. I checked the connection, and the signal strength was low, but most of the time it stayed at 54Mbps. Even when it dropped to 36Mbps I didn't notice a difference in gameplay.

Last week when I didn't have my wireless antenna, I used a wired connection to my laptop and shared its internet connection. Its wireless card is a little stronger, and I don't remember anyone complaining about my mic. However, I'd rather not get it out every time I want to play NS.

Is there any way I can improve upon the choppiness of my mic through changing settings? I can't move my desktop nor the router. Would building a cantenna help at all?
      I would first look to see if anyone else was using the same channel as you. More items talking on the same channel == Less performance for each of them. (Wireless devices are HUB based, any Ethernet based system worth it money is switched based. )

Standard channel is 6 I think ( You are on g right? ) The best channels to use at 1, 6 and 11 I think it was.

Next, I would move the machines as close together as possible. I believe that wireless has more lag per foot then wire, but I am not sure. Also, reducing the number of hops is good.

If your laptop really helped, then I would get a better antenna/ wireless card.
      Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Originally posted by Eternaly_Lost View Post
        Next, I would move the machines as close together as possible. I believe that wireless has more lag per foot then wire, but I am not sure. Also, reducing the number of hops is good.
        I would be very surprised if this was true. The lag-per-foot for a wireless connection ought to be nearly zero, with most of the lag coming from the conversion from wired to wireless at each end.

On the other hand, longer distances could very well impact signal integrity, especially if there are obstructions between the receivers. So it still might not be a terrible idea to move the receivers.

Comment

I use channel 11 always. First thing I change on my router. Secondly yosh, if you signal strength is low, look into buying a signal booster. Theyre not extraordinarily expensive and you'll get far better signal strength. I've been using wireless for years and I keep my cmdrate and updaterate at 50 and 101 respectively and dont have any mic problems.

Comment

Using channel 19 may get the truckers upset.

I have nothing else to add.
            aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Way back before i got cable i had rabit ears, we use to hear some one in our area with a ham radio on and off, and if anyone did any construction work we heard them, it was annoing.

but yea, boost it up man, thou whatever you did a night or 2 ago was fine, heard you fine i think you even commed fine.

Comment

Thanks everyone - like Donat said, it seems to be working now, and all I've changed is my cl_cmdrate. I get the feeling that the real problem was that someone else in my apartment was downloading something and clogging up my tubes, which I can't help. So, just yell at me if I start to sound choppy again, and I'll switch to text.

I'll probably be using text most of the time unless I'm commanding, since I have to choose between using a fan and a mic. I don't have AC this summer.

Also, about that wireless channel thing: Channels 1, 6, 11, and maybe 14 are the only ones anyone should use, because anything between those overlaps and is essentially the same as using two of those channels. This article explains it better:
                http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inquisitor/2996

Comment

Also; don't forget that your wireless signal doesn't distinguish between you using voice or not; if you didn't notice lag in gameplay when people complained about your mic use, then likely it wasn't a bandwidth issue.

The bottle neck on your bandwidth is always your internet connection; If you wireless signal is poor and you're only getting 11Mbps, your modem is still only giving you 5 or 8 (tho i have seen kids out there with 11 and even 15Mbps, but that just makes me jealous).

There may be electronic interference from the wireless signal on you mic, though I wouldn't bet large sums of money on it. More than likely, the copper wire or the jack for the mic signal is damaged.

If it happens again; try recording yourself talking/singing whatever, or just crank the mic boost to hear it and see if it cuts out.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bentring View Post
                    Using channel 19 may get the truckers upset.

I have nothing else to add.
                    Just for the record, CB channels are nowhere near the 2.4Ghz range in the wireless spectrum. The "channels" on a wireless router are just easier to remember than 2.411 and 2.412 Ghz, just as the "channel 1-X" on a CB radio just correspond to different frequencies within the same range.

Anyways, you can always throttle back your MB/s if you're not getting a solid 54Mb/s connection. Although your wireless driver should do that automatically.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X