Proper Chamber Placement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Chamber Placement

It never fails to surprise me how many long-term players don't understand this concept. It's really very simple:

Siege cannons will automatically hit the closest structure in their vision. Thus, if a chamber is placed closer to the sieges than the hive, they will die as soon as the siege begins. This is bad because losing chambers is bad, especially MCs and DCs which are imperative to defending the hive against sieges. Thus, it is crucial that all chambers be placed on the side of the hive that is opposite the siege areas if possible, i.e. "behind" the hive. For example, in ns_nothing that would mean south of Viaduct hive, or along the wall west of Cargo. This is much more important than hiding them from marines.

I just want to make sure that everybody understands this. Failure to do it can and will cost aliens the hive and the game. So please, just take a minute to think while you're dropping chambers. The game has been out for almost 5 years, this should be common sense by now.

Re: Proper Chamber Placement

There are other examples (non-siege stuff) when "hiding" chambers proves just as problematic as it does helpful, if not more so, but I'll not go into detail, as Zek's point is solid and I don't want to distract from it.

Yes. Chamber placement planning is good (hell.. if even applies to O chambers.. but that's for another thread).
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

It further doesn't surprise *me* that some people assume everything they know about NS constitutes "common" sense.

On the other hand, I also like the saying, "You learn something every day."

Thanks for the information.

Comment

Common sense should be an oxymoron they teach in school.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Plenty of morons in schools already - don't need any more.
          Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Yeah, you could go on and on about chamber placement. I'll just add in a few quips.

You're absolutely right about the chambers getting sieged. But, all chambers have an area of effect around them; bunching them up is definitely not using their full potential. Take Subsector Hive in Nancy; if i were dropping all three chambers, at 30 res i would (1) gorge in the infested watery spot beside Cargo and drop an MC in there (good spot for lerks to cover Cargo and Unnamed), then (2) use the MC and drop the 2nd MC behind the hive, and then (3) drop the 3rd MC (once i had the res) either in the next hive, or against the wall nearest Mother Interface. This is because, should my fade and lerk teammates do battle in there (pretty much assured), they can refill their energy very quickly from the hallways. If the sieges go up you'll lose the MC, but i think thats a perfectly fine risk compared to the benefit your aliens will get when trying to stop the siege in the first place.

And it doesnt take a lot of thought to come to these conclusions, thats why people call it common sense. The thing is, most players for whatever reason don't actually think about the area effect of chambers (aside from SC) and just bunch em all up under the hive. And many more dont think about how they're affected by siege either, which is exactly what we're talking about :P

Comment

In some hives a proper chamber placement could even be out of a siege's range. ( Waste siege in tanith )

Comment

Originally posted by Zek View Post
                The game has been out for almost 5 years, this should be common sense by now.
                As well as watching the map almost constantly.

I hear your point though.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X