ns_nexus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ns_nexus

Can we remove this from rotation and but leave it on votemap?

Its one of those maps people just normally vote off immediately, or people just leave if it stays on, usually because not enough people can agree on a votemap or the votes are like 7/9.

When this map comes up and people say "Why is this still in rotation?", I think that means something needs to be changed. I am going to leave my personal feelings and thoughts about the map in the other thread, but its something people have been asking for...

Re: ns_nexus

I'm sure this won't surprise anyone, but I'd like to see it stay, at least for awhile. The vast majority of complaints I hear about it are that it's too complicated, which to me means it should be played more often so that people can learn it, not less. It seems to me to be a balanced and very playable map, with no serious defects that I have seen. Yes, docking is a fairly easy siege, but that's why double is so alien biased (multiple levels are bad for rines), and there are plenty of maps with easier sieges (gen in caged, subspace in nancy, etc.). Why we would remove this and keep maps that do have very serious defects, such as shiva and machina, I have no idea. Speaking of maps, I'd be all for having rampage in the cycle.

Comment

Last time we switched the Nexus, I didn't hear any complaints about the map at all...just "votemap Tanith" 32 times until they got enough votes to switch it. ;) Rampage could come back though.

Oh, and AMX_Nextmap is still buggy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
        Last time we switched the Nexus, I didn't hear any complaints about the map at all...just "votemap Tanith" 32 times until they got enough votes to switch it. ;) Rampage could come back though.

Oh, and AMX_Nextmap is still buggy.
        That because a lot of people can't draw out the map on paper after seeing it twice, so they hate it.
        (How long would it take you to learn tanith, to draw out a good ruff map? It a very simple map, I would say at most 5 times.)

It a good map, but a lot of people hate it because it not simple, it requres one to think about where they are going, and time to learn.

I often directly ask people what is wrong with the map, and almost everyone says that they can not find their way around/it too complex. Not a single, Docking is a invicable siege, or double is too alien friendly, it all too complex, can't find my way around (minimap people, I used it all the time, and after learning a few exceptions, It is almost perfect way to find your way)

Some of us here love the map. Get enough people who live/are willing to learn the map/are will to play the map/an admin who wants to play the map (think areo and Machina, he loves that map so we play it a lot) on and the anti contenders, will play the map.

I have noticed a lot of people vote mapping for the more overplayed maps, not because they are balanced, but more because they know them like the back of their hand.

On a side note, Vote map is buggy, you only need 1 less then the required votes to change the map.
        Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Originally posted by Eternaly_Lost View Post
          On a side note, Vote map is buggy, you only need 1 less then the required votes to change the map.
          As far as I know that is working as intended. Its meant to go to the next map in the cycle if only one more vote is needed.

I do agree with most of your comments Lost, and I like the map, it feels like a space ship, but I don't think the map makes for good pub play. I would love to play captains games on it. I am going to reiterate that, I WOULD LOVE TO PLAY CAPTAINS GAMES ON IT. So I want to see it stay on votemap, but I don't know about anyone else, but no matter what team I am on, the map is kind of a downer for me.

Comment

Originally posted by freebirdpat View Post
            As far as I know that is working as intended. Its meant to go to the next map in the cycle if only one more vote is needed.
            Kinda makes the whole concept of "number of votes needed" a little obsolete, doesn't it? Because you actually need a different, lower number...and since "one less than the number" always comes before "the number", its extremely difficult to actually reach "the number" without first triggering the "cycle to next map in the list" feature.

To me, that qualifies as buggy.

Comment

Have the author fix that horrible minimap in nexus then i'll consider trying to learn it... but its too confusing as it already is.

Comment

Fix how? Details please.

The next version's minimap is in the works. Its already zoomed in by a lot, so it actually fills the screen far better, and hence rooms and corridors should be easier to navigate.

I'm going to take JazzX's advice and hide the vents that go over/under the main routes. I'll still add in 1-pixel-thick lines to show where the vents go though.

Would that be enough of a fix for the minimap, Protoss?

Comment

Honestly, I've played this map a lot, and I still can't remember how to get from place to place without using the mini-map. But that may just be because I'm slow.

Aside from that, the map needs plenty of tweaks. For instance, docking siege has some structure-sinking spots. Personally, even with sieges sinking, I haven't seen a siege from docking wing fail, even with 2 hives. The times that I have seen aliens win they ALWAYS had chromo and starboard hives as the first two.
                  Maybe I haven't played enough to see otherwise, but from personal experience, that hive is made useless by docking wing.

Now does that warrant removing the map from the cycle? Probably not. Every map has its flaws, even though this is a pretty big one. But I like giving all maps a chance, even if they kill the server a bit.

Comment

I'll try to speed up _v2. The additional vent to Docking Wing should help with that quite a bit.

And i'll give you marines a bit of a tip when dealing with Chromo-first aliens: VIEW HALLS. Chromo has access to Double, Keystone and railgun, but it has much more difficult access to Engineering and the bottom two hives, compared to starting with either of the bottom two hives. View Halls were designed to be a highway from Nexus/MS down to Engineering, to balance out the conceived 'accessibility advantage' of Chromo, which imo is only a perception, not reality... when the marines make proper use of View Halls.

Comment

Originally posted by o-|-E StixNStonz View Post
                      Fix how? Details please.

The next version's minimap is in the works. Its already zoomed in by a lot, so it actually fills the screen far better, and hence rooms and corridors should be easier to navigate.

I'm going to take JazzX's advice and hide the vents that go over/under the main routes. I'll still add in 1-pixel-thick lines to show where the vents go though.

Would that be enough of a fix for the minimap, Protoss?
                      i believe JazzX was the one who suggested a way to fix the minimap while I was playing nexus. He said something about NS being able to automatically resize the map so that it could be clear and easy to read. Ask him.

The current minimap is basically fuzzy on my screen. Too much detail in a small area. The dots don't line up with the pixels...

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                        Kinda makes the whole concept of "number of votes needed" a little obsolete, doesn't it? Because you actually need a different, lower number...and since "one less than the number" always comes before "the number", its extremely difficult to actually reach "the number" without first triggering the "cycle to next map in the list" feature.

To me, that qualifies as buggy.
                        To my knowledge and I am probably wrong as I do not have the plugin information, it kicks it to the next map in the cycle after X amount of time. Sadly also a player that voted already can kick it too by voting again. This has been a bug thats been around for 6+ months. Always thought it was working as intended except for the player voting again for the map to kick it too the nextmap.

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss View Post
                          i believe JazzX was the one who suggested a way to fix the minimap while I was playing nexus. He said something about NS being able to automatically resize the map so that it could be clear and easy to read. Ask him.

The current minimap is basically fuzzy on my screen. Too much detail in a small area. The dots don't line up with the pixels...
                          Yep, he already showed me how to do that; thats what i meant by the map being 'zoomed in'. Its about 40% larger now; makes a huge difference.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X