Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• training sessions

http://www.natural-selection.org/for...howtopic=74953

After reading that thread, I held a brief conversation with Firewater about hosting such a session on a TG server for anyone from our crowd who wants to come. Yes, any of us could take an interest in this individually, but I thought people might warm up to such an event more if there were people there they knew.

I don't know anything more about this idea than is presented in the above thread, and, from talking to him, I get the idea that Firewater is still shaping it as well. He just seems to want to educate, or coordinate education. We have players here who would like to learn, so he has agreed to host a training session for us on our server.

It doesn't really matter how many from TG are interested. The quantity and experience of those in attendance will likely dictate the complexity of the topics covered.

If you are interested, please PM me at the very least. If you have comments for this thread, throw them out here. But do please go to the trouble of PMing me if you want to be included in this session. It's not scheduled yet, and your PM doesn't say you're coming, only that you're interested. If you're concerned that you'll already know everything taught, you're not in the right mindset. If you show interest, be prepared to be grateful to the intructor(s) for the effort regardless of what you do or don't learn.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: training sessions

I didn't view the demo he gave but I'm guessing what we'd do is password server, turn on cheats, and have an expert in given areas teach basic skills of fading, comming etc. I'm not to sure if this is true or what, this is just me talking.

After its all done, maybe scrimage or something?

Comment

To play a decent game (scrim) of NS, you would need around 10 players. I dunno, but I would think that 10 would be just about the upper limit of people you would want in a single training session. More than that and you begin to lose individual attention.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

We're shooting for 9PM on Thurs 07/15. To the many of you who PMed me, please PM me if you can make it at this time.

To the many of you who have not yet PMed me, just PM if you'd like to join us.

Comment

I would love to join in, but thursdays are bad...

Comment

Well, I just got word that Thursday is off. I'm trying to reschedule now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
              9PM on Thurs 07/15
              Just to re-iterate, this is not yet a confirmed time. I'm working with Firewater to arrange a time, but he has infrastructure to setup before he'll commit to times (websites, forums, etc). Sorry (as is he) for the confusion, and I'll let you guys know when I know more. I came in on this (and shared it with you guys) very early, and it's still kinda being stood up.

Comment

I'll be there!

Whenever it is. We should just start tossing around dates... eventually we will find one that works for most/all.

Comment

Thursday's today. Can you tell what time zone that's in so i can convert?

Comment

See recent posts. This has not yet been scheduled.

Comment

Highly interested. Unreliable schedule.

If you have more than ten people, you can do double training, without alltalk, and the groups switch for each session.

I'd rather NOT engage cheats during a tutorial, as it's more confusing. The only thing that may be left out per time is the prototype lab, and no one will change to onos.

--Shroom
                      -- Shroom
                      I tried smoking mushrooms once. Couldn't keep the pizza lit.

Comment

Originally posted by shroompicker
                        Highly interested. Unreliable schedule.

If you have more than ten people, you can do double training, without alltalk, and the groups switch for each session.

I'd rather NOT engage cheats during a tutorial, as it's more confusing. The only thing that may be left out per time is the prototype lab, and no one will change to onos.

--Shroom

hmmm If we were to do this... wouldn't skipping vital aspects of the game make this redundant? Teaching the players to use the high risk - high value units in the game would be much more beneficial then teaching them how to be good with the default stuff. Afterall, your ability is most stressed when you're carrying around a large investment of equipment/abilities/evolutions.

Edit: Maybe a training session isn't what is needed here. Perhaps we should put more focus on active training (IE: just playing the game while learning). Why help newbies only during trainin sessions when you could help them one at a time on a day to day basis?

Comment

Even though I dont play a lot anymore (but slowly, im comming back :D) I know almost all the basics, So i can supposivly work with some them

Comment

Originally posted by Trevelyan
                            hmmm If we were to do this... wouldn't skipping vital aspects of the game make this redundant? Teaching the players to use the high risk - high value units in the game would be much more beneficial then teaching them how to be good with the default stuff. Afterall, your ability is most stressed when you're carrying around a large investment of equipment/abilities/evolutions.
                            Learning how to use the LMG properly is far more important than how train as a heavy or assault a hive with a jetpack. You spend more of the game with a LMG and light armor than anything else in the game. Similarly most people spend most of the game as alien as a skulk, unless they play as something else (I spend most of mine as a lerk). It's more important to go from the Base to the Pinnacle than reverse.

Comment

True dat. I spend most of my time improving as skulk and lmg and have become much better for it. However, the pistol is still foreign to me.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X