Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to deal with players who don't speak english?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to deal with players who don't speak english?

Lately there's been a few players who will join the server and don't speak english. I've seen a lot of french and german so far. Some of them don't speak any english, others will be pretty bad at it saying "Shot...gun" over and over. Anyone speak these languages? Anyone got any ideas how to communicate with a player who isn't speaking your language? Most of the time they res whore and get kicked, but that's kind of a bad server image. However, if there's really nothing else to do, I translated "If you don't speak english, leave." into french, german and spanish for you.

French: Si vous ne parlez pas l'anglais, la feuille.
    German: Wenn Sie Englisch nicht sprechen, verlassen Sie.
    Spanish: Si usted no habla inglés, la hoja.

Like I said I don't want to exclude these people, but if there's nothing else to do then better warn them.

btw i can make the sentences say maybe something nicer, too

Re: How to deal with players who don't speak english?

If you can't communicate you get kicked and if people can't understand your language that is the same.We only keep paranoid because his sexy voice.

Comment

The BEST thing to do would be to learn other languages. It would make you a better person. :)

It would be incredibly ethnocentrist of us to demand that a certain language be the one used on the server, but on the same token, the inability to effectively communicate with your team is grounds for dismissal. That could mean that an English speaker could get the boot on a primarily German team, or whatnot.

The good news: marines have waypoints. :)

For the record: I can speak German fluently. So if there's an issue with a German player, feel free to look me up via amx_page (if it's been enabled on this new server... I honestly don't remember) or whatnot.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Where did you get that spanish translation. It hurts my eyes. Try this. Si tu no hablas ingles vajate.
        RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
        TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
        "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
        "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
          Where did you get that spanish translation. It hurts my eyes. Try this. Si tu no hablas ingles vajate.
          When addressing someone from the standpoint of a "regular" player to a stranger, the more formal "Usted" conjugation should be used. To use the informal "you" would be inpolite at best, more likely just plain rude...

Originally posted by Pokerface
          The BEST thing to do would be to learn other languages. It would make you a better person.
          This is the truth.
          Last edited by CingularDuality; 07-21-2004, 02:15 AM.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by HairyNevus
            Spanish: Si usted no habla inglés, la hoja.
            Heh, I just reread this... My spanish isn't the greatest so I just translated literally, just like Hairy did...

If you don't speak English, the leaf.

How about: Si Usted no habla ingles, deje. Is that better?
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by HairyNevus
              French: Si vous ne parlez pas l'anglais, la feuille.
              Heh - feuille translates as leaf (like on a tree) as well. The word you're looking for is "partez". My conjugation might be wrong, but they'll get the idea.

Merci de votre attention.

Comment

I say just work with them as best as possible until they are causing problems for the team in substantive ways. I can't imagine someone would get on a server, make numerous requests in a foreign language, have those requests consistently not met, and want to return on a regular basis.

Attrition can be a useful thing.

Comment

The majority of French, Germans and other Europeans are at least bilingual and almost all will understand "Please speak English here." I have seen many European HL servers that require you to speak a certain language (frequently non-English).

I was going to suggest another French translation but I have my conjugation in a twist. :)
                  Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

5p34k L33t y0. 175 73h un1v3r54L 1n73rn37 L4n6u463.

Comment

dud3, !f w3 @11 [email protected] 70 u53 1337 5p33ch, h0w w0u1d w3 [email protected] 0v3r v0!c3 [email protected]? !7'd b3 v3ry d!ff!cu17 @7 7h3 [email protected] ! w0nd3r h0w [email protected] f0r3!6n k!d5 [email protected] 3n61!5h JU57 50 7h3y c0u1d [email protected] 1337

@|\||) |/\||{@7 @|30|_|7 7|{3 |)||[|[3|)\3|\|7 |_3\/3|_5 0|[ |_337 5|o33(|{? 7|{3|)\35 7|{3 3x7|)\3|V|3|_y |)||[|[|(|_||_7 70 |_||\||)3|)\[email protected]|\||) 0|\|3...

7h3 51!6h71y [email protected]!3r 0n3

4nD 7h3 pr377y 0Bvi0u5 0n3..

I mean which one would we use?!?
                      RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Talk about making your eyes hurt...

Comment

I'm not crazy enough to type that myself...

Leet Speak Translator

But now on a more serious note... I can easily imagine myself joining a german, or french server, and being ignored or kicked for (if given a reason) that I'd never understand...

Many Europeans have learned English... but much fewer Americans has tried to learn another language, which is unfortunate... But I dont see everyone in the server Learning German, and French in the next few days so they can play with the one or two other people...
                          RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Requiring at least the understanding of English isn't ethnocentrist. The NS.org forums require posts to be in English, because that's what the site is in, and the majority of players understand. Don't get so stuck on trying to be open to everybody. If they simply don't understand what you're saying, there is nothing you can do about it. I can't speak French, nor will I learn it to talk to someone in an online video game. That's absurd.

Comment

I guess I was kinda beating around the bush there... If It were up to me, I'd say that The server is English only, at the very least you should be able to understand it, if not speak...
                              RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X