Phase Select Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase Select Plugin

Okay after endless games of "Phase to Cargo! Phase to Cargo!! WHY THE HELL IS EVERYONE IN SUBSECTOR??? GET TO...AH HELL PHASEGATE DOWN WTFSTFUOMGHAXUN00BSMKAYTHXBYE! *commander freaks out, loses cool and sends marines to their deaths over and over in an effort to reclaim the failed phase gate position*

This nifty plugin (which I ran into pubbing a bit today) gives the marines an ability to select their destination based on the numbers 1-9, of course the gate can also be used the standard way but this time with TWO pushes of the USE key as opposed to one. The best thing I see about this plugin is that the name of the location is displayed next to the specific number when activated, so nubs and vets alike can use this system to get exactly where their comm wants them to go ASAP. Those of you who are too 1337 for this can just press your use key a SECOND time omg! Please give this plugin a look see, I think its worth all of our time. Wyzcrak the choice is yours.
    http://www.voogru.com/files/PhaseSelect.zip
    You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
    We are not a single game.
    We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
    We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Re: Phase Select Plugin

I heard about this plugin while it was still in development, never ran into it though.

Sounds like it'd be something I'd have to experience to be able to tell if it's worth the while in my opinion or not....

Comment

I'm all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr
        just press your use key a SECOND time
        Amazingly, I can't find the thread, but...

we've discussed a similar plugin in the past, and it was shot down by the players and never installed on the server.

However, I do not recall functionality in that plugin which allowed for traditional use by two +use commands.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

If this plugin is going to rely on two +use commands, I would prefer that the double +use presents the menu, while a single +use provided traditional behavior. This would allow players unfamiliar with the plugin to enjoy feature transparency while allowing for regulars to enjoy the added functionality of the double +use.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

how could that be done???...well i suppose with certain timelapses....is anyone here good with modifying source?
            You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
            We are not a single game.
            We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
            We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
              If this plugin is going to rely on two +use commands, I would prefer that the double +use presents the menu, while a single +use provided traditional behavior. This would allow players unfamiliar with the plugin to enjoy feature transparency while allowing for regulars to enjoy the added functionality of the double +use.
              Uh, this would make it impossible for the phase select menu to ever be used, because you would never be able to use it twice.... since the first one would make you go through it.

Maybe if we hacked it to where if you don't make a phase selection in 1 second or so it would move on to normal opperation?

Comment

Originally posted by ImJustMito
                Uh, this would make it impossible for the phase select menu to ever be used, because you would never be able to use it twice.... since the first one would make you go through it.
                The key would be a slight delay between the first +use and the use of the phase gate. If you want the menu, you have to be quick with your two +use commands... otherwise, through the phase gate you go.

Comment

Yeah, the times I've run into servers using a similar plugin, I found the "location menu" to be very much in the way in the heat of battle. So far, I side with Wyz on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage
                    Yeah, the times I've run into servers using a similar plugin, I found the "location menu" to be very much in the way in the heat of battle. So far, I side with Wyz on this.
                    Ummmm... ditto. :)
                    There are times when it's useful, but those are usually the times when you have the spare second or two to waste on a couple extra phase gates.
                    [volun2]
                    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr
                      Okay after endless games of "Phase to Cargo! Phase to Cargo!! WHY THE HELL IS EVERYONE IN SUBSECTOR??? GET TO...AH HELL PHASEGATE DOWN WTFSTFUOMGHAXUN00BSMKAYTHXBYE! *commander freaks out, loses cool and sends marines to their deaths over and over in an effort to reclaim the failed phase gate position*
                      *sigh* you wouldn't mean me would you?
                      My only experience with plugins like this have been times when the location info didn't quite work proper, but if that is fixed then I would support it. Instead, has anyone considered somehow forcing the last phasegate constructed to be the first one you phase to? That would probably require some scripting work though.
                      Rm 14:2 NIV
                      One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

Comment

It would be IDEAL if the commander would be able to select which PG the marines phase to first!

Comment

Honestly? We don't need this. I've never seen too many phases dropped here. What would be nice is a plug in to keep marines from humping the damn armory.

Comment

This would sort of put a kabosh on whack-a-marine, unless we do it Wyz's way. So I support it as long as the first '+use' is normal.

Comment

I've only found it to be an annoyance on the servers I've played on. I'm with Fenix -- servers that lock down two hives, and have 4 other PGs besides need this. Ours - where rarely more than 2 are up - it's unnecessary and time consuming. I can be through both PGs in the time it takes me to read the menu and pick the correct destination. Assuming I see it - the font is usually white or cream and hard to read (esp. when standing next to the glowy white PG).
                              Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X