Admin Commands and responsibilities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin Commands and responsibilities

Lately I've noticed more and more randoms tend to be breaking server rules, and are overall unenjoyable to play with (not all).
    When I have temp admin, I feel it's part of my responsibility to ensure these randoms are following the rules, however, I'm sort of unclear of which commands I should be using, how frequently, and based on what rule breakage.

If there's a list of commands accessable by temp admins, could someone throw me a link?

Just incase you're wondering, the occasionally swearing occurs, and I think most annoyingly, marines avoiding commands from comms...

Thanks.

Re: Admin Commands and responsibilities

I don't know of any comprehensive list, but here are a few that I use frequently.

First, be aware that any SM can use gb, regardless of whether you currently have the temp admin. This is your main way of removing players who aren't able to alter the offending behavior.

Next, to the actual temp admin commands:

amx_kick: this is what to use when you need to remove a non ? who's having trouble remembering the required reading

amx_marine, amx_alien: this is a useful pair of commands when the teams request has been made and the last player on the list isn't switching quickly enough. I generally only use this when I'm on the larger team and can see the situation I'm switching someone out of. I wouldn't want to accidentally switch a fade or a marine building a pg by using it from the opposite team.

amx_tempban: this is sometimes the only way to deal with a player who is repeatedly joining and breaking the same rule, often intentionally (ie. join and loud mic spam, kick, join and loud mic spam, etc...). I haven't used this one in a while and can't recall the correct syntax. All I can find is amx_tempban <name> <reason>, which can't be complete because it doesn't allow you to specify the length of the tempban. Does anyone know the correct syntax?

amx_map: this allows you to switch the map, generally used when something weird happens to the mapcycle, such as going to the same map twice, or if a server crash puts you on co with 16 people, or after captains. Never, never, never use this mid-game.

amx_readyroomall: useful when setting up captains if people are joining, also amx_readyroom <name> for one person.

As to how frequently to kick and how strictly to enforce the rules, most of the time I don't kick if I can get them communicating and get them to understand what they've done wrong. Of course, if they understand and proceed to keep doing it just to annoy you, that's a good time to kick too. Do remember that unless you have the gray gb icon, you're never required to act as a temp admin. For instance, I almost never kick people for language. That said, if you don't act when you have the temp admin, it also means the problem won't be solved, which is bad for everyone. This leads us to the final command I'll mention, which is "passadmin <name>". If you're not comfortable fixing the problem, you can always pass the admin to another SM (assuming there's one on).

Comment

amx_help is the console command that will show you what commands you have access to at any given time. The text the command outputs isn't terribly easy to read, but it does give you the information you need.

Being an admin is a thankless job, usually. When you've got the rights that you need to "solve a problem," ask yourself if those commands ARE the BEST way to solve the problem. If you really believe that they are, use the commands... that's why they're there for you.

Understand that you'll be privately contacted by an admin if we here of you using the commands in a way that we think is out of bounds. Most such cases end with the command user and the administration seeing eye to eye on future command use. Other (rare) cases result in that player being blacklisted from admin commands (but still welcome to play on the server).

Use good judgment. Use the commands. Thank you for keeping the server what it is.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by tr0gd0r3 View Post
        Lately I've noticed more and more randoms tend to be breaking server rules, and are overall unenjoyable to play with (not all).
        When I have temp admin, I feel it's part of my responsibility to ensure these randoms are following the rules, however, I'm sort of unclear of which commands I should be using, how frequently, and based on what rule breakage.

If there's a list of commands accessable by temp admins, could someone throw me a link?

Just incase you're wondering, the occasionally swearing occurs, and I think most annoyingly, marines avoiding commands from comms...

Thanks.
        http://www.tacticalgamer.com/wiki

Start there, and go looking for the commands. The wiki is awesome.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse