Lag Spikes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag Spikes

I haven't been playing NS much recently because evertime I play I keep laggin out for a couple seconds every minute or two. When I first join a server everything is fine and my ping is around 60 but then out of nowhere I get a bunch of choke and loss. My rates are setup for what the server tells you for highspeed internet. Is this a problem with my isp or network or what cause I have no clue what it is and I want to play ns but can't with this going on.

Re: Lag Spikes

Just to comment... I did a tracert, because I'm having problems as well (I typically get 80 ping on a good day... today i'm getting 150, and spiking to over 250)

Tracing route to ea.9d.344a.static.theplanet.com [74.52.157.234]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 21 ms 11 ms 8 ms rd1wh-ge5-0-0-10.vc.shawcable.net [64.59.158.227
    ]
    4 74 ms 66 ms 65 ms rc1wh-ge9-0-0.vc.shawcable.net [66.163.69.109]
    5 64 ms 60 ms 57 ms rc2wt-pos7-0.wa.shawcable.net [66.163.76.154]
    6 152 ms 107 ms 101 ms rx0wt-abovenet.wa.shawcable.net [66.163.68.22]
    7 124 ms 121 ms 122 ms so-2-1-0.mpr2.sjc2.us.above.net [64.125.28.21]
    8 106 ms 108 ms 120 ms so-2-2-0.cr1.dfw2.us.above.net [64.125.29.46]
    9 113 ms 124 ms 102 ms so-1-0-0.mpr1.dfw2.us.above.net [64.125.28.198]

10 152 ms 157 ms 163 ms 64.124.79.77.theplanet.com [64.124.79.77]
    11 172 ms 165 ms 163 ms te7-1.dsr02.dllstx3.theplanet.com [70.87.253.18]

12 113 ms 115 ms 110 ms 76.fd.5746.static.theplanet.com [70.87.253.118]

13 96 ms 94 ms 96 ms po2.car03.dllstx6.theplanet.com [12.96.160.37]
    14 140 ms 134 ms 131 ms ea.9d.344a.static.theplanet.com [74.52.157.234]

Trace complete.

I can't really complain... However, I hope something does get fixed about this... Sort of sucks to play in 150 ping :(

Comment

I've heard that Shaw is terrible.
      Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

I saw some lag on the server last night, seemed to be somewhat spread across several people during very late night / early day. my ping raised to 98 (a raise of 10-20) spiking from 200-500 for moments. Not a hinderince to me but some others had it worse, at that point thou i was forcing my internet to stay on so i don't think its to much to worry about.

Comment

The entire server was spiking to about 1000 from 9:30 PM PST, to about 9:45 PM PST.
          I'm getting a steady 180 ping on the server now.
          It doesn't make any sense whatsoever that at one point, I will be getting 70, then later be getting 150, on a daily basis... This seems like a server side issue.

Comment

It doesn't make any more sense to assume its a server issue either. More likely an issue with some of the routers between you and the server, which aren't between others of us and the server.

Comment

the internets is a series of tubes . . . its not just a big truck that goes from one spot to another. someone is probably clogging the internets between you and tg with their illegal downloads.

Comment

My point was that every minute to two minutes i get some choke and loss and i lag out for a couple seconds and then I'm fine running at 60 ping and I don't know what is causing this. This happens on other servers too.
                Last edited by Sedated; 09-05-2007, 08:02 PM.

Comment

You're going to need to get a tool that shows all your "hops" between you and the server in question, and run it in the background. Only then will you get any clue as to where the problem is happening. PingPlotter is a good one that is commonly used.

Comment

Originally posted by Sedated View Post
                    My point was that every minute to two minutes i get some choke and loss and i lag out for a couple seconds and then I'm fine running at 60 ping and I don't know what is causing this. This happens on other servers too.
                    Sounds like you might have a sneaky process that jumps up and bites you every now and then with a little HDD caching. Might want to track processor usage.
                    Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

you might want to check for a virus or spyware also

i got something on my computer once that caused me to have spikes like this and i found out my comp was hax'd and sending out thousands of spam emails per second

i reformattted after that fixed everything :/

Comment

Guys, everyone was getting this at one point on the server.

Comment

They are right thou trogdor, just because EVERYONE may have this problem ( btw, it wasn't exactly everyone. There were 1-3 people who didn't). As they said, the internet is a series of connections.

For all we know its a bummed router or a place that gets heavy traffic at one point during the night.

That would be my main assumption, one of the hops or stations is getting large amounts of data or something that is tangling it up at these hours.

Comment

So, if a large number of players WERE receiving this issue, but not all, it still indicates that the issue is closer to the server end, though not necessarily with the server, or the hosting company (unless they were all on the same network). In either case, a tracert from each player would show exactly where the problem was.
                            sigpic

Comment

Don't bring your logic here.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed