Combat timer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat timer

Seeing the new changes to combat in action in beta5, I believe that combat is nearly fully balanced for the stock time limit of 10:00. With a properly oriented marine team, of equal skill as the alien team, victory is inevitable inside of fifteen minutes. However, I recognize that for the most part, the server is one available for public use, and should not expect high player personal or team skill. However, fifteen minutes is a very long duration to defend the hive with the current game mechanics.

These facts being so, I propose a compromise between the stock timer of ten minutes, and our current timer of fifteen minutes. I believe that the timer should be set somewhere between 11:30 and 13:00. Comments and opinions needed and welcomed.

--T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N
    --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

The vending machine originated in Egypt in 215 B.C. Learn somethin new everyday, dontcha?

Re: Combat timer

I'd like to see it set to the default (10mins) for at least a week's worth of playtesting... but I do agree that 15 appears to be way too long under the new beta.

BTW, the main issue that we're trying to address is that, in 15 min games, marines inevitably are able to get jps and/or gls, which, due to the new alien spawn system (spawning as a skulk no matter what lifeform you died as) means for a lot of alien slaughter.

It might be nice to see some win/loss stats of marine/kharaa since the b5 release before we proceed further.
    Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

Haven't played yet, but it sounds like a good idea. After all, a Muffin said it. :P

Comment

Yeah, I'm all for trying the default 10 minute timer. The 15 minutes does seem a bit long now, especially with levels capped back at 10.

Comment

I've changed the combat timer to 10 minutes.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

So yeah, all night, I heard nothing but "10 minutes is too short." :-/

I propose an evening of middle-ground experimentation, in the 13 minute area.
            [volun2]
            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Losing isn't important in combat, I prefer to have fun with it. I don't care if my team loses as long as it's fun. Lerking against 5 jps is fun, the game ending as I go lerk isn't.

Comment

Going Lerk only takes 2 levels :icon23:

Comment

^^ yeah but you have to evolve every time you spawn.
                  Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

10 minutes is too short for a small combat game.

It's probably just right for a larger game.

Comment

Well, that brings up an interesting point. I can easily make the combat timer dynamic based on the number of players in the game. Obviously, the timer wouldn't change once the round started. Or should it? Thoughts?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Maybe 13-15 minutes for 3v3 or below, and 10 minutes for anything else?

Comment

13 minutes sounds like a nice middle ground to me.

Comment

Awh, paranoid! Frag fests are for quake and UT ><.

Wyz, if you can make it dynamic, by all means do. I don't think it needed to alter in the process of a round, but just at the beginning of one. 10 mins for 5v5, 11:30 for 4v4, 13 for 3v3, and 14-15 for anything lower? If I'm not mistaken, 12 players and higher changes to classic? Or is that plugin nonfunctional at the moment?
                            --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

The vending machine originated in Egypt in 215 B.C. Learn somethin new everyday, dontcha?

Comment

I fixed that plugin for b5 last night. CO maps max out at nine players. Once you have ten players, it's off to NS. Some NS maps require more players, but no CO map will be played automatically if more than 9 players are on the server.

I'll work on this dynamic timer plugin this week.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X