8v8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8v8

I've moved the server to 8v8. Those of you who have been here long enough will remember that we were once a larger server but scaled down to 7v7 in the interest of gameplay. Well, gameplay has seen some significant changes since then, and I'm curious to see how 8v8 fits us.

Post feedback here, preferably after you've played a few 8v8s with us on this server.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: 8v8

NO! I WANT TO POST UNINFORMED AND BADLY SPELT OPINYONS NOW!

I would like to see how it works out - generally much past 7 and the marines start getting a real advantage - they swarm everywhere and have nodes faster than you can blink. It'll take a coordinated alien team (and/or new tactics) to win that.

Tally-ho!
    Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

5 fade strat ftw.

Comment

haha "Strat"

oh adj. words like that do not belong in a pub, you noobai.

OR MAYBE TG CAN PROVE ME WRONG...

go go power rangers.

in any case 5 decent fades would make wyzcrak hopping mad if he were in the chair, and instantly push it back down to 7. Or having a team of 7 decent shots dominate the map when he's on aliens. either or ;o

Comment

Originally posted by Sasuke
          haha "Strat"

oh adj. words like that do not belong in a pub, you noobai.

OR MAYBE TG CAN PROVE ME WRONG...

go go power rangers.

in any case 5 decent fades would make wyzcrak hopping mad if he were in the chair, and instantly push it back down to 7. Or having a team of 7 decent shots dominate the map when he's on aliens. either or ;o
          why do you even post here anymore? I never see you on the server, and all you seem to post is total crap.
          --
          CaveDog
          "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Comment

Originally posted by Sasuke
            Wyz doesn't get hopping mad, he just sets up multiple simultaneous assaults on all hives using at least 3 seige cannons per hive.

Gave over in 8 seconds. :)

Don't mess with Wyz. Most can't hold his jock.

Comment

Originally posted by CaveDog
              why do you even post here anymore? I never see you on the server, and all you seem to post is total crap.
              I strongly suspect that this is not the same Sas that we used to know and love.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I was thinking about suggesting this earlier. I'd like to point out that the bigger benefit of this change isn't playing 8v8 games, it's the increased ease of keeping the server above 10 players to play NS. Let's say, for example, that there the server is full at 14. If it loses just 4 players, the server will switch to combat next map. Ordinarily only a person or two leave at one time and incoming players can cancel that out to keep the server full, but think about it: have you ever played one of those 30+ minute games that might have been really good, but everybody is really worn out afterwards? Long games like that often result in a large portion of the server leaving, far more than can be quickly replaced with this server's level of popularity. When that happens, the server is down to co_ numbers, and often empties out in the next game or two.

If the server is at 16 players, the odds of the server dropping to 10 people(6 players leaving all at once) is significantly lower. Also, people are less likely to be turned away when they feel like playing at peak times. Thus, in exchange for putting up with the occasional game that's a little bigger than we like, we significantly reduce the number of games that are too small and/or forced into combat.

Comment

The above point and many others were argued extensively last time around. The only thing that might have changed is whether 8v8 is unbalanced in favour of marines.
                  Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

The res system hasnt changed and the marines have not been nerfed. Seems like you may run into the same problems as before.

Comment

Many aspects of gameplay have changed since our last 8v8 experiment.
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I think the system so far is working well. We had one incredible 35 minute game last night on tanith in which yes the aliens won, not the marines who everyone is worried are overpowered. The game was fought extremely well by both sides and proved that, by multiple areas changing hands frequently throughout the game, no particular team had an unfair advantage. This of course is due to the fact that everyone was a regular this game, in the case of newbies (CD has moved out the majority of them though) things might be different. So far I am for keeping it at 16, the games are as good and I swear they might even be better than before.
                        -Zephyr
                        You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                        We are not a single game.
                        We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                        We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                          Many aspects of gameplay have changed since our last 8v8 experiment.
                          Yes, if your talking about combat. No major gameplay changes have been made since beta 3 in classic besides onos carapace.

Comment

Well, for starters there's weakened knockback, which makes a significant difference in the crucial early game minutes...

Comment

The last discussion we had seems to have come to fruition the day 3.0 was announced to be 3.0, and a full two months before beta1 came out. I'd say a fair amount has changed in that time.
                              [volun2]
                              NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                              Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                              <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                              <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X