CO: free starting level?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO: free starting level?

There's a reason I started this thread independent of the CO timelimit thread. We'll get that worked out independent of what we discuss in this thread. However...

... one of the complaints I've heard (now and in the past) about CO timelimits, when they're perceived as too short, is that players don't have enough time to work up to their higher levels, where the action happens.

Would CO be more entertaining if, across the board, one or two levels were given to all players when the round started? Just to get to the action a bit faster?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: CO: free starting level?

I think i'd rather start out at level zero and extend the time, just my personal opionin

Comment

Just to be clear.. this isn't me asking people to pick an either or... levels or more time. We'll get the time where we're happy no matter what. The levels idea was just a brainstorm.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
        ... one of the complaints I've heard (now and in the past) about CO timelimits, when they're perceived as too short, is that players don't have enough time to work up to their higher levels, where the action happens.
        That's not it for me. It's that the first 3-5 minutes of combat are usually "cat and mouse" games of trying to get ahead of you opponents. This is a critical time when every kill and death counts. After about 4th level is passed, things really start to get interesting. I've noticed around the 8 minute mark, everyone's got good upgrades and the game really starts to get a good flow to it. Unfortunately, with 2 minutes to go most marines lose hope and just start camping base or a choke point.

If the marines/aliens did really well and have a 2-3 level jump on the opposite team, the game usually ends itself by loss of chair/hive. Why end it early on a time limit?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
          After about 4th level is passed, things really start to get interesting.
          I guess this drives to the heart of what probably inspired my brainstorm. For me, the gameplay is far more entertaining after just a few levels than it is when players come "out of the gate."

Comment

Clarifying since maybe this was confusing

Boost combat to 13 minutes, 1 free level to both sides. After some testing it may be needed to give both teams two levels versus just one. The reasoning for this is that with a single free upgrade, no marine can get a significant upgrade. A skulk can get leap right away with just 1 point. At two points marines can get armor1/resupply or weapons1/shotgun, while aliens can get 2 upgrades, a lerk, or focus.
            Last edited by TheAdj`; 09-10-2004, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Aliens are supposed to be defensive. How crazy is it to give marines that one level immediately while making the aliens wait 60 seconds to get their level?

Comment

..........huh?
                I edited the post above so it may be clearer to read now.

Comment

Personally, while most people would view it to be "more fun" to have easier access to the 'allmighty' bigger guns, I believe its VERY VERY VERY important for marines in combat to maintain the same duration as an LMG marine as they currently do! Why you may ask? Because when that marine loads up a classic map for the first time, he's not going to be completely helpless, he's not going to be overly lost, and he'll know what to do with the weapons he has. Lets face it...commanders can't afford to give out big guns a whole lot. That being so, our marines need to be as effective as they possibly can be with their stock loadout. I've *always* viewed Combat as a weapons training ground, the tactics come in in classic, but in order to learn and effectively execute tactical plans, you must know your weaponry. This is part of why NS: Combat is a first step for new players, and it doesn't hurt to keep us more experienced players sharp.

Just my .02

EDIT: The above in general also applies to aliens.
                  --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

The vending machine originated in Egypt in 215 B.C. Learn somethin new everyday, dontcha?

Comment

Free levels for aliens? Saves me a minute in getting the xenocide ;)

Comment

I like the idea. one or two levels should be very cool.
                      --
                      CaveDog
                      "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Comment

I like the idea of people joining late in the game getting free levels.. but that's not at debate here...

One thing I find frustrating about CO is the build-up to my gun. The first two levels are ALWAYS the same. Damage 1 - shotty. Doesn't matter the game. that's my build order.

That being said... I would not mind on CO if I got an extra level WHEN the player base is 2v2 or 3v3. at this point in time there are so few players on the map that it makes it hard on both players to find anyone sometimes. Skulks have the advantage because they can cruze the map. What advantage do marines have in smaller games? None. But I think once you pass 4v4 in a CO game the free levels need to get out.
                        Though much is taken, much abides; and though
                        We are not now that strength which in old days
                        Moved heaven and earth, that which we are, we are;
                        One equal temper of heroic hearts,
                        Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
                        To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X